Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #1

On my return trip from Indio, via Bullhead City, when I started the coach, the ABS light came on. I stopped the coach, turned off the ignition, restarted, and the light went out.
Arrived in Bullhead City, spent a week there, same thing only I drove it for a few miles, then did the shutdown. Arrived in Quartzite, spent two days there, took off, light came on, after 20 miles, I stopped, did the restart, no light. Spent the night at Beaudry's (wasn't able to get a answer on this) took off, again, light remained on. Stopped, restart, no light.
At no time did I notice any difference in my braking.
Is this something I should be worried about? I intend to call WCC in the morning, however, would like a little ammuntion just in case. Also, has this happened to anyone?
I did have the IP fixed last March under the recall.

Bob
Winnebago 38J/W24
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #2

On my return trip from Indio, via Bullhead City, when I started the coach, the ABS light came on. I stopped the coach, turned off the ignition, restarted, and the light went out.
Arrived in Bullhead City, spent a week there, same thing only I drove it for a few miles, then did the shutdown. Arrived in Quartzite, spent two days there, took off, light came on, after 20 miles, I stopped, did the restart, no light. Spent the night at Beaudry's (wasn't able to get a answer on this) took off, again, light remained on. Stopped, restart, no light.
At no time did I notice any difference in my braking.
Is this something I should be worried about? I intend to call WCC in the morning, however, would like a little ammuntion just in case. Also, has this happened to anyone?
I did have the IP fixed last March under the recall.

Bob
Winnebago 38J/W24
Old 01-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greyhound:
Is this something I should be worried about? I intend to call WCC in the morning, however, would like a little ammunition just in case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bob, You could have a bad or failing ABS sensor at one of the wheels. The servicing WCC center will fit a Tech II to the ODBII port and it will scan your brake system and return a code pointing to what the problem might be.

It shouldn't take to long to find out what the problem is and they should be able to repair the brakes fairly quickly once they have the parts.

Your brakes will work fine in the meantime however your ABS system may off line and not reliable. You should notice little difference in the way your motorhome normally stops with or without ABS on dry pavement. The ABS provides for straight line braking under hazardous or immediate braking situations but you would have to get on the brakes with some authority to get the ABS to perform as designed.

Using brakes to slow then stop rarely gets the ABS working.

It's nice to hear from you by the way.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
We had the same problem with our spartan. Had everything checked and no problems. Still happens once in a while, usually if the breaks are damp. shuting the engine off and restarting usually re- sets it now. For awhile the light stayed on so long that we put tape over it, sence we were assured that there was nothing wrong.

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:48 PM   #5

The use of tape is tempting, however I think I will contact WCC and get their input. Thank you Driver for your input also.
Will post a follow-up on this tomorrow after I talk with WCC.

Bob
Old 01-25-2006, 03:58 PM   #6

Check your stop/tail lights. We had a similar problem, but as I recall the ABS light was on all the time. Turned out to be a blown fuse in the stop light circuit. Somehow they are all inter connected with the ABS
Old 01-25-2006, 04:06 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check brake fluid level. May be marginally low. When cold, level is low enough to set ABS light. Later restart after some warm up puts the level high enough to not trip ABS. Had this happen last year and adding fluid corrected the situation. As brake pads wear fuid level goes down. Other clue was fast start accelleration also triped ABS light.

Marty
Old 01-25-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the light problem before the recall. I took mine in and had the recall done and it still comes on once in a while. I can reset it when I come to a stop sign uo a little upgrade and get the backward thrust with the brake still applied and light goes off and stays off untill I park it and then it comes back on sometimes. I have learned how to live with it.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:32 PM   #9

Tried all of your recommendations, to no avail. Have an appointment to take it in next week and have it checked out. If it pans out to be something that will not go away, then the tape option sounds like the quick remedy.
Once I get her back, I will post what the problem was in the unlikely event it happens to anyone else.
Bob
Old 01-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Bob, the ABS system is extremely sensitive. We had bad sensors on our previous chassis and one wheel had a 1MPH wheel speed error, enough to trigger the light.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the same problem on my 03 Dolphin on WH W22. Light comes on and go off. I have had it worked on and it acts the same. I believe it is a intermitant problem with soft ware. I just ignore the light, it always seems to go off after a few minutes.

08 Dolphin on WorkHorse W24
LeeSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #12

I have my baby in the shop and hopefully will get an update on her tomorrow. The mechanics felt it was a software problem, but until they connected the computer to it, they wouldn't commit.
Right now I have a 41 ft RV port that is empty and it breaks my heart not having my baby where I can see her.
Once I receive word what the problem was/is and how it was corrected, I will post the information. If not corrected properly, option 2, cover with tape will be utilized.
Bob
Old 02-06-2006, 07:46 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it were a software problem, then everyone would have the same problem. If there is a problem with the memory causing the problem, then your panel would have to be replaced. Unfortunately, it might be one of those things you learn to live with.

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
al koffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #14

Update on ABS Light Problem. After many hours of lying awake at night looking out at the empty RV port, I finally have my baby back. Turned out to be a simple connection in the main wiring harness that had worked loose, which caused the ABS light to stay lit.
After performing the diagnostic and getting a "no reading" the tech checked the wires, reconnected them, plug it back in to the machine and got the reading.
Needless to say, I am happy and relieved that I will not have to drive with a piece of tape on my instrument cluster.
Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Bob