Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #1

It's On. I checked the sensors at each wheel & they seem secure, as well as the cables to the sensors. While parked (jacks down) I ran the engine & stepped on the brakes multiple times to cycle the calipers as best I can. No help. Guess I'll have to wait til I pack up & drive, to check it out (about 3 weeks).

Any other options? Where is the main ABS control box? Maybe I should give it a Rap!

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #2

It's On. I checked the sensors at each wheel & they seem secure, as well as the cables to the sensors. While parked (jacks down) I ran the engine & stepped on the brakes multiple times to cycle the calipers as best I can. No help. Guess I'll have to wait til I pack up & drive, to check it out (about 3 weeks).

Any other options? Where is the main ABS control box? Maybe I should give it a Rap!

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 08-24-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
Any other options? Where is the main ABS control box? Maybe I should give it a Rap! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Perhaps I've been pretty lucky but every so once in a while I will get an ABS light indication. After driving the motorhome for about 20 minutes or so I've seen the indicator go out and all was normal again.

The ABS unit is up high in the rail just behind the transmission of the left side I believe. Now giving it a rap may not be the first best option. You musta been a riot to your crew chief when you were driving the "Thud". Did you have a rubber hammer if your flight bag?

I can see you now wailing away on the after burner nozzle.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:06 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You musta been a riot to your crew chief when you were driving the "Thud". Did you have a rubber hammer if you flight bag? Laugh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is nothing more horrific to a crew chief, than a pilot with a screwdriver.

Thudman

Old 08-25-2007, 09:30 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:

Thudman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try adding Brake fluid to reservoir. Level sense switch in that may set ABS light on. Had this problem as fluid level dropped with pad wear. First showed up as a ABS light on during up hill or acceleration. Additional fluid corrected that.
Marty
Old 08-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
thudmad, i dont know if you have checked yet but there is a fuse(IM not sure if its 20 or 30 amp) under the hood, that if blown will cause the abs light to come on. Im not saying if it is blown just replace it without having brakes checked out. could be a weak fuse or something else wrong.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:16 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Had this problem as fluid level dropped with pad wear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How low was it? Just checked the reservoir and each side of the res fluid level is about one inch from the very top. Is that enough to turn On the ABS lamp? I'm goosey about overfilling.

Thudman

Old 08-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
How low was it? Just checked the reservoir and each side of the res fluid level is about one inch from the very top. Is that enough to turn On the ABS lamp? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thudman, It's a difficult trick to see the fluid level without the wife's compact mirror and sometimes a flashlight. The fluid is to be added until it reaches the very bottom of the filler neck. It's almost like looking at a wet cell in a battery. Make sure you wipe the top of the Hydro-Max before opening up the caps so as to avoid any dirt from getting into the fluid. Do not stick your finger in the fluid to check the depth.

If needed add DOT3.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:31 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do not stick your finger in the fluid to check the depth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too late.

Thudman

Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #10

Update:

The fluid on both sides was low. To my surprise, it took 11 oz (of a 12 oz bottle) of DOT 3 fluid. ABS lite is still on, even tho I ran engine & pumped the brakes. The true test will be when I drive the rig in about 3 weeks. Will advise.

Thudman

Old 08-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question: Does your cruise control work?

On mine, Coming home from an event last July, I noticed the cruise not working... Then when I tried to do a level 1 reset (Cycle the ignition switch) the ABS light and alarm came on.

The one common part (Brake switch) was shorted
Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Question: Does your cruise control work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thx; good thought. I'll try the Cruise Control when I drive the beast.

Thudman

Old 08-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Update:

The fluid on both sides was low. To my surprise, it took 11 oz (of a 12 oz bottle) of DOT 3 fluid. ABS lite is still on, even tho I ran engine & pumped the brakes. The true test will be when I drive the rig in about 3 weeks. Will advise.

Thudman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did all that fluid go

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #14

It's most likely in the brake lines filling the difference based on normal brake pad wear.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote