Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ABS Sensors/What lubrication have you used?

The book calls for a minerial based oil with molydisulfide. My local NAPA store has no idea what that is. Neither do I.

Soooo-what is the lubrication of choice when cleaning/reinstalling ABS sensors?

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would think just about any good anti-seize compound would be a good choice in a high temp environment...Permatex, Dow-Corning or Molykote.

I used to use a high temp graphite grease (sparingly on the first few threads) on the spark plugs of an air cooled VW engine. They always came out without scoring the threads. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Minerial based oil with molydisulfide ...

Is a dry-slide type lubricant. I am going with a not tacky lubricant that won't capture and trap dirt.

MoS2 with particle sizes in the range of 1-100 µm is a common dry lubricant. Few alternatives exist that can confer the high lubricity and stability up to 350 °C in oxidizing environments. Sliding friction tests of MoS2 using a pin on disc tester at low loads (0.1-2 N) give friction coefficient values of <0.1.

Molybdenum disulfide is often a component of blends and composites where low friction is sought. A variety of oils and greases are used, because they retain their lubricity even in cases of almost complete oil loss, thus finding a use in critical applications such as aircraft engines.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Never seize. If you got it. I just stick them back in. The sensor usually doesn't have to be cleaned. It's the rust and dirt in the tone ring that usually gives you trouble.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the inputs. The MoS2 comments by DriVer was a lesson in itself. So I guess what I'm looking for is a moly based high temp dry lubricant for these ABS sensors.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just installed a new one on my Workhorse. It came with a tube of lubricant. In the directions they call it a conductive lubricant. The sensor needs to have a good ground. It did not say exactly what it was.
thepratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I just reviewed my Workhorse Motorhome and Commercial Chassis Service Manual. The section about replacing the ABS sensors does not mention anything about a lubricant. What is this for and where should I apply it?
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Maybe this will help.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Perfect Oemy. Thanks.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote