Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
AC warm after 20-40 minutes - resolved

I am bringing this up again because so many have had these issues... Workhorse chassis dash a/c installation was never good. After three large shops replaced parts at high expense and the problem persisted, I almost gave up. Then when the Winter Haven Ford (FL) dealer opened a "Large Truck & Motorhome" repair center I thought I would try them. The Svc Mgr after hearing my story said he likely could not help me, but Absolute Trailer (semi) in Winter Haven, FL likely could. I called Steve (owner) explained my issue and he said, "I know exactly what it is!" I took it in. About 3 days later he called and said all is well! I said how much? $320!!! I said to myself, "YEAH!!!" I was planning on a thousand or so. Turns out the system is very poorly designed. The blower box on ALL he told me leak terribly. He showed me where he sealed it for good EVERYWHERE! Plus my trickle of air out my vents was the foam insulation in the fan housing had broken loose and was now in front of the fan blocking nearly all the air. We have now made several 3 hour and longer trips with ice cold air blowing me out of my seat!!! (In Florida) But before Steve repaired my system, it was the same issue most have on all these forums. Cold ac for 20-40 minutes, then ambient air temp out of the vents. And this after three other Expert AC repair people just threw parts at it and accomplished NOTHING!
ricklsmith53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 07:23 PM   #2

I've had the same problem intermittently with my '06 PA. He showed you where the problem was. Please tell us with description and photos if you can. Would be so nice for dash A/C to work reliably.
vagaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklsmith53 View Post
I am bringing this up again because so many have had these issues... Workhorse chassis dash a/c installation was never good.
I'm glad you finally got this problem fixed, and hope the fixes you described are the last you will ever need. However, I would like to clarify that Workhorse did not provide the parts of the system where you problem originated, nor did they do the installation. You have your coach builder to thank for those parts and their installation.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:03 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I'm glad you finally got this problem fixed, and hope the fixes you described are the last you will ever need. However, I would like to clarify that Workhorse did not provide the parts of the system where your problem originated, nor did they do the installation. You have your coach builder to thank for those parts and their installation.
What Ed says! My 2003 Georgetown by Forest River works fine as long as it has coolant in it. It slowly leaks R134a and needs recharge after about 2 years. I don't mind recharging it when it needs it.

Don't blame Workhorse!
Old 12-07-2021, 04:53 PM   #5

I actually found that the plastic box that houses the heater core and a/c evaporator had broken out around some of the screws at the top, allowing it to separate from the fire wall. I could not physically see this because the box is located where it is impossible to get a visual of the top. The flimsy construction of this box apparently couldn't handle the weigth of both of those components. After finding and then fixing this so it could no longer suck the super heated air from the engine compartment directly into the a/c system it now works much better.

Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I'm glad you finally got this problem fixed, and hope the fixes you described are the last you will ever need. However, I would like to clarify that Workhorse did not provide the parts of the system where you problem originated, nor did they do the installation. You have your coach builder to thank for those parts and their installation.
I think that's true, but I'll bet most of them probably used the same $#@%! Evans stuff.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:55 PM   #7

just one more thing to check on....

Good info....i'll be checking around my air box for proper sealing before my next trip out. Also noticed coach has an excess amount of tube running to vents. Need to shorten those up as well. Somethings are simple, some not so much. Thanks for the post.