Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I read on another forum that the Average Mpg reading is calibrated on the last 50 miles experience. I have read through all the manuals I could find and cannot find a reference to the methodology. Does anyone know for sure?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I read on another forum that the Average Mpg reading is calibrated on the last 50 miles experience. I have read through all the manuals I could find and cannot find a reference to the methodology. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 02-15-2006, 01:13 PM   #3

That's my understanding as well. Although not sure where I got it from, I think here somewhere...
Old 02-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The instrument does take a while to calibrate itself however when you're running up and down hills the reading changes. The important thing to remember is that the display is constantly averaging so what you're looking at at any point in time is not an absolute value but a high or low average.

The best way to cipher out this thing is with an ol' fashioned pencil. The instrument does come somewhat close.

One reading I have issues with is the distance till empty. I just can bring myself to reconcile the gauge being where it is and the display telling me that I have a hundred miles to go before empty. It's scary sometimes so typically I don't wait. This last time showing 99 DTE I took on 70.4 gallons of gas. Now there is no way on the green earth that I'm going to make 99 miles on 4.6 gallons of gas even if it "IS" a Workhorse.

You should have seen my wife while I'm running in the <span class="ev_code_RED">RED</span> zone but there was a method to my madness. One other thing is that you're never very far from gas running north on I-95. Having refilled my tank at the Flying Hook in Latta, SC, I have a complete new load of gas however I'm trying out 93 Octaine to see if it'll yield better MPGs.

"Experiment in Progress", ... stay tuned.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:19 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver says...This last time showing 99 DTE I took on 70.4 gallons of gas. Now there is no way on the green earth that I'm going to make 99 miles on 4.6 gallons of gas even if it "IS" a Workhorse.[/quote]

On my 04 w 20, when the red light comes on, I lose the "Miles to empty, average and instant fuel" milage readings.. Must be a difference between 03, and 04...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I took on 70.4 gallons of gas. Now there is no way on the green earth that I'm going to make 99 miles on 4.6 gallons of gas even if it "IS" a Workhorse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mike, you must have pulled out one of those two hundred dollar bills you've been printing, to pay for that load.
I wonder how much of that remaining 4.6 gallons was actually obtainable?
Now that you've tweaked our interest, we will want to more about your "Experiment in Progress", so please tell us more....inquiring minds want to know! ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:27 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
On my 04 w 20, when the red light comes on, I lose the "Miles to empty, average and instant fuel" mileage readings.. Must be a difference between 03, and 04...rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I did not observe that on my IP but that said I did hear an audible "bong" and the IP did display a "Low Fuel" warning. This occurred while I was on the off ramp and going into the gas station so I didn't have too much time to observe all the parameters. Thanks for bringing this into focus for us.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:24 AM   #8

Now that we are talking about the readout, it would be nice if the display would toggle between the "Low Fuel" warning and "Miles Till Empty" instead of locking up the display when you go into the red.

We have found stretches of interstate where yes there are gas stations, but no you can't get a 38' RV into and out of when you are towing. Those are the times I have run in the red and would like this feature.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:36 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver posted..."I took on 70.4 gallons of gas. Now there is no way on the green earth that I'm going to make 99 miles on 4.6 gallons of gas even if it "IS" a Workhorse."

Wow, that is using it all.. I've only "turned on the light" once, last year in W Texas, when I decided it was time to see if I could have any faith in the guages and dials. I have forgotten just how many gallons it took to fill, seems like it was about 65, but the guages and dials were pretty much in aggrement..When the dinger and light came on, I tried to start the gennie, and it wouldn't, so a 3 way check provided some good info.. Wifey wasn't too keen on the whole deal, W. Texas aint the end of the world, but you can see it from there...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:55 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver, I take it then that we really don't know what the formula is which the software uses. The DTE is all well and good but Gallons Remaining would be a whole lot more useful. My wife's 96 Town Car uses distance traveled/gallons used for its avg mpg and also has fuel remaining and instant mileage. Workhorse could certainly do the same. When the Low Fuel locks you out of the remaining displays I wonder if the programmers have ever been on US 50 looking for a station.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:10 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">W. Texas aint the end of the world, but you can see it from there...rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:54 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My wife has those bongs in her Lincoln so she hears the one in WH and says are we almost out of gas no I said its just that fuel gage checking its self again. When I hit the bong red zone I have 10 gals left. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:37 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky 2:
I read on another forum that the Average Mpg reading is calibrated on the last 50 miles experience. I have read through all the manuals I could find and cannot find a reference to the methodology. Does anyone know for sure? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Rocky 2,
Take a look HERE for a past dicussion on this forum relating to your question. I believe I read in my Workhorse Chassis Owner's Manual about the 50 mile average calculation.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:55 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I read it in a manual, either Workhorse or Actia, that the average mileage is calculated every few seconds on the last 50 miles.

Before I had the sw update on the IP, the miles to empty would read all the way to zero (seemed to be pretty accurate, I went all the way to 20 left and didn't run out). Now, it stops reading and displays "Fuel Level low" or something like that when the gauge reaches a certain level. I dislike the new functionality.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote