Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #1

The led display on my Actia instrument panel failed at about 11,000 miles. I had it replaced under warranty. Now, at 21,000 miles it has failed again.

I contacted the shop and they said bring it in so the could confirm that it is dead (which it obviously is) and determine the mileage (which they can't since it's not visble). They will then oreder a new unit which should be there in a couple of days.

None of this is a problem since I am only 50 miles from the shop and had just serviced the chassis and recorded the mileage.

Having said all that, my question is, if this thing is going to fail every 10,000 miles, how long is WH going to stand behind it????

...fixed title typo...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #2

The led display on my Actia instrument panel failed at about 11,000 miles. I had it replaced under warranty. Now, at 21,000 miles it has failed again.

I contacted the shop and they said bring it in so the could confirm that it is dead (which it obviously is) and determine the mileage (which they can't since it's not visble). They will then oreder a new unit which should be there in a couple of days.

None of this is a problem since I am only 50 miles from the shop and had just serviced the chassis and recorded the mileage.

Having said all that, my question is, if this thing is going to fail every 10,000 miles, how long is WH going to stand behind it????

...fixed title typo...
Old 06-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure how long WH or Actia who makes unit will stand behind constant failures of the IP.
Will be contacting Actia on another related question on their IP will pose your question to them about failures every 10,000 miles or more often for some people.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:00 AM   #4

007, did you ever find out about any sort of extended warranty on the Instrument Panel?
Old 06-18-2006, 02:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
wa7hra, Regrettably there is no written extended warranty on the Actia IP however if the IP fails out of warranty, Workhorse said that they will evaluate the IP failure on a case by case basis. I would go with that for now and get that 3rd panel installed.

I don't see where your panel will fail every 10,000 miles. I have had 1 panel replaced and the replacement panel is doing just fine after more than 25,000 miles and 18 or more months of service.

I can't see any reason why the IP will fail going forward.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:47 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Prior to buying my Southwind the panel had been replaced. The mororhome was 2 years old when I bought it and had a little over 5,000 miles on it. I'm curious if the mileage is accurate........or if they just put a new panel in and didn't add the prior mileage to the new unit.
Brian
Old 06-18-2006, 05:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by supercub:
I'm curious if the mileage is accurate........or if they just put a new panel in and didn't add the prior mileage to the new unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Brian, The mileage indicated on the IP is a very touchy subject according to the Feds and it has to be continuous and as accurate as possible within .5 miles + or - on exchange. Workhorse will not entertain any speedometer rollbacks or inaccuracies, it's something that they are very concerned about. I would say that your indicated mileage should be accurate. When they do IP exchanges the mileage is recorded and saved with the VIN in the service history of the vehicle.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:25 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, thanks driver, I appreciate the info.
Brian
Old 06-18-2006, 07:57 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
How can they read the mileage if the Actia panel is no longer working or displaying any information, by guess estimation
Maybe there is something else that keeps track of the mileage for the Fed's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Maybe there is something else that keeps track of the mileage for the Fed's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Let me ask you this ... R U ready ... since the Actia is a completely electronic instrument what retains the mileage information in the odometer when you disconnect the batteries? tick ... tock ... tick ... tock and the answer is ....

Well the Actia panels have an EEPROM and other RAM/ROM (NVRAM) devices that will increment the odometer miles as you go down the road. It doesn't get saved in the ECM therefore if the Actia panel's command center completely fails, Actia can read the ROM's mileage in the panel's circuitry and dial in the mileage into the new IP. The only way that information can be lost is if the ROM was electronically erased or if the IP got flattened by a steam roller.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:16 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since DriVer answered this, I'm expanding the question to include the accuracy of the reported mpg. If the speedometer is confirmed to be accurate and thus the odometer and if all other components are operating properly, why is there such reporting by forum members of inaccuracy of mpg readings from computer compared to miles driven and gas receipts?

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eandy:
.... why is there such reporting by forum members of inaccuracy of mpg readings from computer compared to miles driven and gas receipts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That portion of the command center is not dependent on the odometer but is calculated in separate circuitry. Works via sensors like fuel flow, time, fuel gauge and input from other sensors. I have pencil calculated DTE and I came pretty close to the actual gallons remaining in the tank. It isn't perfect science but until they install aircraft quality instruments and sensors it's close enough for it to be usable.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:44 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer, you've been at this a good while. Any idea how far off the command center mpg is from true mpg. Not considering gen.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:52 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
My calculations were close but I don't have an exact (+ or -) percentage that I can quote accurately.