Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2018, 05:27 PM   #1

Advice on 8.1 Air Filter Change Out

Still trying to feel my way through the ownership and learning process. So today I changed my oil, serviced and changed the Genny oil and filter. I went to NAPA picked up one of their “GOLD” air filters to change it out. When I crawled up under the filter I was concerned about how to extract the current filter seeing no easy way to open the intake box housing. I also saw a sticker that stated the filter (K&W) contained inside the housing was semi permanent to be changed at 50k and 100k. So I backed off this task for the time being.

From what I have read this maybe a wet filter and is not a favorite of our forum members. So can I change this “wet” filter out for a dry one? Also how do you open the housing? Any videos? I’ve searched YouTube without success. Thx.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 05:43 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Most K & N filters are put in place of the original air filter box. You might try looking to see if you have the original filter enclosure that a regular paper filter would fit. I suspect it was all yanked out to put in the K & N filter. You might have to try to find a replacement filter housing.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Air Filter A917C

There are 3 clips along the top of the filter box. Release them and lift the front part of the air box out of the channel in the rear part of the air box. Remove/replace the filter and rejoin the 2 parts of the air box.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Most K & N filters are put in place of the original air filter box...
I've seen a number of K&N filters and they were installed in the original filter box. Not that there aren't some with a new filter box, just saying I don't think it's all that common.

Removing the cover can be a struggle. The tube going from the cover to the MAF sensor doesn't give you much wiggle room but it will come off.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:43 AM   #5

Advice on 8.1 Air Filter Change Out

If it has a K&N, I would pick it a can of MAF Cleaner at Autozone and remove and clean the MAF while you are in there. There are two screw hose clamps and an electrical connector that need to be loosened/disconnected to get the MAF out. It’s relatively simple once you remove the filter housing and it actually makes filter installation easier with it apart.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:37 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it has a K&N filter, I'd throw it away and go back to an OE filter. But thats just me.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:00 AM   #7

Thanks all. Changed the K&N out in about 10 minutes or so. I'll tackle the MAS later (good thought on it). Once I found the clip location it was easy except for the dirt/debris falling in my mouth (had glasses on). I'm gonna clean and stow the K&N in case I need it in a pinch at a later date/time.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #8

Thumbs up It is there

I have just changed the air filter in my '07 Workhorse chassis. they certainly didn't make it easy and I now don't have a center clip on the housing. seems they could have lowered the housing about a 1/2 inch so the clips could move freely. But it is done and I won't have to do it again for a while. Now to get some cleaner for the MAF, though it doesn't seem to be in bad shape.

2007 Allegro Bay 38TDB on a Workhorse chassis

2003 Honda Element
USRVLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #9

If your air box is like mine, located directly in front of the passenger side front wheel, keep an extra filter in the coach.
The air box gets a direct spray of water when driving on wet roads and will saturate your filter creating performance issues.

I would seriously like to meet the engineer that designed that air intake system and punch them in the head.

I have since made a sheet metal box that covers the air filter box to alleviate this issue. Will see this winter if it works.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:28 AM   #10

Mine is in the same location. Let us know if your modification works.
for ease of access, they could have just turned the box upside down so that the clips were on the bottom rather than 1/2 inch below framing.
I like your suggestion about carrying an extra air filter.
USRVLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrflie View Post
If your air box is like mine, located directly in front of the passenger side front wheel, keep an extra filter in the coach.
The air box gets a direct spray of water when driving on wet roads and will saturate your filter creating performance issues.

I would seriously like to meet the engineer that designed that air intake system and punch them in the head.

I have since made a sheet metal box that covers the air filter box to alleviate this issue. Will see this winter if it works.
I don't think the water gets in there from the spray...it runs down inside the Tuba that faces the typhoons. There are mods to that on Omey's website too.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #12

So far I haven’t found any water in the Tuba or the surrounding area.

Mine is situated in a good spot up behind the front cap well away from the grill opening.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:17 PM   #13

Anyone ever find a video of a 32v 8.1L Air Filter change out? Also, what is MAF?
jhoppin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoppin View Post
Anyone ever find a video of a 32v 8.1L Air Filter change out? Also, what is MAF?

The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor controls the mixture of air and fuel sent to the engine to be burned.

If that mixture isn't correct you will start having P0150 and P0151 check engine lights which indicate a O2 sensor problem.

The O2 sensor has determined the exhaust is causing pollution which turns on the check engine light. The O2 sensor is not bad, in fact it is doing it's job.

What's bad is the MAF sensor and it needs to be cleaned with spray on MAF cleaner or replaced.

If you use a K&N air filter and over oil it you will contaminate the MAF. The MAF is located directly after the air cleaner.

The recommended way to clean the MAF is to remove it and spray it with canned MAF cleaner.

I don't remove mine, I just spray it with the engine running using a full can. I do that on a yearly basis and replace the air filter at the same time. I use a Fram air filter from Walmart.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, air