Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2007, 04:02 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just installed a new air dam in the motorhome today. We're taking a short trip this weekend. Is there anything I should double check before the trip? I've read a few entries about plug wire problems. :
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2007, 04:02 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just installed a new air dam in the motorhome today. We're taking a short trip this weekend. Is there anything I should double check before the trip? I've read a few entries about plug wire problems. :
Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't quite follow what you are installing. While some coaches did have airflow issues resulting in burnt plug wires, our 2003 Suncruiser/Workhorse didn't. There was a rubber air dam on the firewall that directed air through the radiator. It wasn't mounted that well and we had to refasten it with some bigger washers so that it wouldn't tear. If this is the air dam you are talking about, you won't have any problems. If you are installing something else, all I can say is to be sure it doesn't change the under-cowl airflow and you'll be fine.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
George, My rig had an air dam too and I had the 2 burned wires. It has a larger than avg grill area but the logic of that dam defied my brain and I removed the thing. I was warned here it could void my warrantee so I kept it in case. While staying at an Air Force camp ground, another retiree was taking delivery on a new National rig. I was showing him the various mods on mine. When he returned with his new rv he showed me the engine compartment on it. Shazam no dam. So I figure if National doesn't see a need for the air blocker I can do without it too. So far so good.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eandy:
So I figure if National doesn't see a need for the air blocker I can do without it too. So far so good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>About that let me say this, Shazam, let there be dam! NRV screwed up and should have installed the air dam. Do yourself a favor and install the dam. It does not matter 1 bit how much air you force over the top of the engine BUT it is <span class="ev_code_RED">"very"</span> critical that most of the air entering the front of the motorhome be directed through the radiator. This has been a common characteristic on internal combustion engines since the Model T.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #6

The air dam on our motorhome rotted over the years and portions of it fell off. I could tell it was going because the fan clutch would kick in more often and stay on longer each time it kicked on. One time it was on for nearly an hour. While in Boise, ID area for a month I replaced the air dam using shower pan liner material. We have since put over 4000 miles on the motorhome and the fan clutch has only kicked on 3 or 4 times, even with temperatures near 100 degrees, and kicked off within a couple of minutes. I have never had trouble with burned plug wires so I don't know if the air dam affects that or not. However, the engine cools better with the air dam in place on our motorhome.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ghamblen: </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Thanks for that Gary.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A very interesting topic. I often look at the front maintenance area and wonder how much, if any, the huge open area at the bottom affects the air flow through the radiator.

Does WH dictate how large of a dam is required? Also, would totally enclosing the air intake area result in better air pressure for the radiator and the air intake system?

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adj:
Does WH dictate how large of a dam is required? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Workhorse provides the fabric and it is attached to the top of the radiator or cool pack when the chassis ships. The fabric is rolled up and tie wrapped and the OEM then fits the fabric to their coach work. I hope that answers your question.

Regarding the front of the motorhome directly under the radiator area, if there is a spoiler fitted there to a large degree it hides some of the chassis gear making the vehicle a bit more aerodynamic. More importantly if the device is properly sized it can act as a ground effect and actually pull heat via vacuum from the engine compartment.

My Winnie has a spoiler however I don't have a way to gauge its effectiveness but it does hide a lot of suspension gear.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just return from my trip and NO burnt wires . I never heard the fans come on and my motor water temp. was normal. I hope this one last longer than last one it should it is twice as thick . It took about 30 mins. to install is wasn't a bad job.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Minisprint:
I hope this one last longer than last one it should it is twice as thick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It may not last as long as the Pyramids but it'll be the last fabric you'll ever buy for your motorhome.

It works! The testimonials in favor of the air dam keep pouring in! It's indisputable, inexpensive and absolutely essential. Git'r'done!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
MiniSprint,

What air dam did you install? Where did you get it? My fans come on every time I slow down and I am thinking more air in the right place could make a difference.

Thanks.
'19 Newmar Canyon Star 3911 F53 #26K
'17 Lincoln MKZ towed by BlueOx
GLWilliams58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2007 Pace Arrow, W24. I guess I'll have to look and see if I have the air dam!!!
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner

WCC Air Dam