Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Air filter change

I was having trouble starting my MH. I looked at my air filter, looked very clean and put it back in after cleaning MAF with proper cleaner. But after looking at several threads on this site I will change my air filter. Lots of good instructions on this site. One set of instructions by Driver said to place body of filter into air box. Does this mean the filter body toward the rear (MAF) or toward the front away from the MAF. Is it possible to put in backwards? If so, will it cause any problems?
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #2

filter install

The paper (fingers) go toward the intake flat surface toward motor I don't think it will fit in the box the other way.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with changing the air filter on 8.1L engines frequently. With the tuba intake design, it has a history of taking in water when driving in the rain. The water changes the filter properties of the paper filter even after it dries out. I always carry a new spare too.

I put weather strip all the way around my hood opening, don't know for sure if it stops all of the water from entering the tube, but I haven't had a hesitation, misfire, check engine light come on (due to a wet air filter) since I put it on. But I do think some water was running down my windshield and through the top edge of my hood opening before the weatherstrip was installed.

The pleats on the air filter catch the dirt. The pleats go forward on my MH. Make sure the rubber drain thing is clear on the bottom of the air box.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
About 2 years ago, when driving in rain I was having trouble with water getting into windshield wiper motor and causing wipers to continue to run after turning them off. At that time, I placed weatherstrip around the hood opening. So, water is not getting into opening. But it is time for a air filter change.
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #5

The F53 V10 had the same problem with water ingestion. Had a friend have it happen, but he was able to get it home. Warranty covered a new engine.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
The F53 V10 had the same problem with water ingestion. Had a friend have it happen, but he was able to get it home. Warranty covered a new engine.
Even though it was covered under warranty, it really isn't Fords issue. The body builder is required to protect several components in coach design. Since the chassis is basically a rolling chassis, the body builder needs to protect certain aspects of the components. We just had an Econoline bus that had excessive outer tire wear. Camber was positive 3 degree's when you want almost that amount of negative. They never aligned and reset camber when the body was installed.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXredfish View Post
Is it possible to put in backwards? If so, will it cause any problems?
TXredfish, In this thread, a participant replied that the filter won't go in backwards, BUT it will go upside down!

I haven't run a stock air filter for many years. I run an S&B right now.

Change your air filter (AC1236C) at least every 15,000 miles or about ~18 to 24 months~.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote