Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Today I decided it was time to change my air filter. I pulled the filter and sure enough the foam pre-filter was black and so dirty I don't see how any air got through. To my surprise, when I pulled back the foam, the paper filter was as clean as the day it was installed. Why can't I just wash the pre-filter and put it all back together? I didn't, I bought a new filter from Napa which includes the foam pre-filter.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Today I decided it was time to change my air filter. I pulled the filter and sure enough the foam pre-filter was black and so dirty I don't see how any air got through. To my surprise, when I pulled back the foam, the paper filter was as clean as the day it was installed. Why can't I just wash the pre-filter and put it all back together? I didn't, I bought a new filter from Napa which includes the foam pre-filter.
W22 Workhorse
Old 01-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Fulltimer:

And the number for the air filter from NAPA was?
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YosemiteBobR:
Fulltimer:

And the number for the air filter from NAPA was? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>FIL6316 They call it their GOLD Filter although it's red like a Fram.
W22 Workhorse
Old 01-15-2007, 07:36 AM   #5

Full-Timer,
I'm sure mine needs changing, how hard was it & how is the best way?

Rigrunner
Old 01-15-2007, 10:03 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Full Timer, I use WIX air filters on my HEMI and they are like you said, sort of a FRAM orange
in color. But sense WIX make the NAPA filters, I think you have a WIX filter and not a FAM... TENN.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tenn.Vol.:
Full Timer, I use WIX air filters on my HEMI and they are like you said, sort of a FRAM orange
in color. But sense WIX make the NAPA filters, I think you have a WIX filter and not a FAM... TENN. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think you are right. I know Napa uses Wix that's why I bought it there instead of some place like Wally World.. Wix makes good filters.

Rigrunner,
It should be a simple job but for some reason mine was a pain. The filter box is only accessible from the right wheel well. You need to get up and cozy with the inside of your front tire (I needed to unplug the MAF sensor), undo the 3 clips on the top of the box, lift the cover up and out. The pain was getting it put back together. Either the NAPA filter is slightly fatter or my cover fits REAL tight because it was a pain to get the tabs on the bottom of the cover back in the slots.
W22 Workhorse
Old 01-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #8

Full-Timers,
Hey thanks for the reply. Sounds as hard as and the same as our old 96 Bounder.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:44 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You can order directly from WIX. Wix Online and their prices are good to.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I REALLY hate websites that want all your information before they will tell you anything. I usually pass and go on to the next site. It's just bad business!
W22 Workhorse
Old 01-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
I REALLY hate websites that want all your information before they will tell you anything. I usually pass and go on to the next site. It's just bad business! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dan do what I do....

LIE hee hee hee
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #12

I changed the air filter today with the NAPA 6136, easiest maintenance work I've done so far. Didn't take 5 minutes and I didn't have to remove the MAP connector, there was enough slack so I could remove the old and install the new.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
I REALLY hate websites that want all your information before they will tell you anything. I usually pass and go on to the next site. It's just bad business! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tincup:
I changed the air filter today with the NAPA 6136, easiest maintenance work I've done so far. Didn't take 5 minutes and I didn't have to remove the MAP connector, there was enough slack so I could remove the old and install the new. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many miles or hours on your engine??

How dirty was the filter??

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote