Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2022, 07:01 AM   #1

Air intake

Does anyone have a pic or reference for the water shield for an air intake on 2007 w22?
Or is there a mesh screen that u can put on inside of grille?
It seems like it would be more of a problem from my hood than the grille. Since top of intake sits slightly above grille. Had my first experience with the sluggishness during a downpour in florida. Assuming it was water in air intake. As soon as rain stopped sluggishness stopped shortly after.
Ferg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2022, 08:14 AM   #2

Have you checked that the “duckbill” drain is in place and the “bill” is not stuck closed?

You would need to be running through deep puddles of water at quite some speed to get a sufficient splash of water into the tuba to cause saturation of the filter sufficient enough to reduce air flow.
The tuba is designed such that water droplets that get into it will impinge on the walls of the duct, accumulate, and drip down to the bottom of duct where it will run out the duckbill.
I’m not sure of what the volumetric air flow rate is for the engine so as to be able to calculate the air velocity (which diminishes the impinged water’s ability to reach the drain), but what I described is the objective - and I would think that if water injection were an across the board factor that WH would have changed the design.

But if you really want to do something, subject to the available room in the engine Bay Area in front of the radiator - would be to find a round filter element the diameter of the tuba mouth yet tall enough (you may have to stack two) to allow the same or more filter area as the OEM rectangular filter. Drill a hole centered in the back of the tuba mouth that will allow a pice of all thread to pass, the hole being centered in the mouth opening, then place the round filter capped off with a metal or plastic plate that the all thread goes through and a nut to sandwich it all together.
Keep the rectangular OEM filter in place.

Finally, if I were you, I would take a look at my MAF readings, O2 sensor readings, and Short/Long Term Fuel Trim readings to make sure something isn’t fouled.
Old 07-11-2022, 05:42 PM   #3

Ok. Thanks for the tips. So then the only other thing i could think of is that water was getting up to the plugs/wires? It only happened during the downpour..
Old 07-12-2022, 03:34 AM   #4

Very possible. How old are your wires?

One of the first things I did on ours was replace plugs and wires - Magnum wires and 41-101 plugs from UltraRV. And I pulled/cleaned the MAF and air filter. I then used to ODBII scanner to read/record engine performance data and sent to UltraRV for evaluation. Jon@Ultra recommended I replace the MAF with a new one. Once I did that Fuel Trims fell into place.

I can’t stress enough - that while plugs/wires my fix your problem, you really need to know how your engine is running. Because failing to fix what might be wrong because the engine is running OK and gets you to where your going can result in an expensive repair bill later.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:30 AM   #5

Thanks
I did just recently replaced plugs/wires. From ultra rv
I Will clean MAF sensor and check duckbill. Trying to do what i can myself before i send it to a shop and it sits for who knows how long and they charge me big money...i did check the fuel trim during a short run and no issues. It was within spec..i need to check it when it acts up..
Old 07-12-2022, 07:00 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg1 View Post
Does anyone have a pic or reference for the water shield for an air intake on 2007 w22?
I do not know of a water shield, however, I followed some advice I got on this forum many moons ago and added a self-stick foam strip to seal the gap at the top of the hood to prevent water runoff from the windshield/front through that gap and into the air intake. I don't know the arrangement of your hood - might want to add your specific coach to your signature line - but if it is positioned such that water can flow through that gap above the tuba opening and drip down into it, that could be part of your problem.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:13 AM   #7

The thread about adding the foam strip is among the links in the stickies at the top of this forum. Look for rain water down the tuba, or close to that. It doesnt cost much to do and MAY prove to be helpful.
The other possibility is tiny holes in the air filter box itself. LOTS of fine mist spray happening in the wheel well during rain and some of it getting sucked into the box can wet/ruin the filter. Look for the pictures Under my name in the photos section.
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:18 AM   #8

Did you check the air filter itself for actual water saturation?

The air box, by design, is a maintenance issue waiting to happen.
Take a box with about five joints and put it in front of the tire and see what happens from there. Very, very poor engineering.

I have had water saturation of the filter on two occasions. To my knowledge, neither saturation was from water down the tuba.
I have since built a sheet metal box that covers my air box to keep most, if not all, water spray from hitting the box. Have not had any water saturated filters since then. About 5 years now.

As others have said, change the MAF. Its cheap insurance.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:37 PM   #9

👍 will do

Tags
air