Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-27-2021, 08:15 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Georgia
Posts: 40
Air Lift for WH W24

I just wanted to share some information:

I own a 05 Winnebago Adventurer 35A on a Workhorse W24 chassis.
I installed Air Lift 5000 Ultimate kits in the front and rear of this chassis.
I purchased both of these kits at "Suspension Connection" for $827.93, taxes and shipping included in this price.

Kit AL88101 for the front
Kit AL88202 for the rear

These kits made major improvements to the ride and handling of my motorhome:

Steering was improved, (there was no more wandering)
Ride was much smoother
The coach is much quieter
Cornering was greatly improved (very impressed)
75% of the heavy banging from pot holes etc. has been greatly reduced.

I was completely impressed with the test ride after the installation.
I inflated the front bags 30 psi and the rear bags to 45 psi.

I installed the kits myself: The front kit was the easiest, I did not have to pull the front wheels or Jounce bumpers to install AL88101, this kit installs in front of the front axial.

I did not replace the Bilstein shocks.

The rear kit was a little more difficult as I had to pull the wheels and remove the old jounce bumpers and brackets before installing the AL88202 kit.

I would do it again in a heart beat because it truly made huge improvements to the ride and handling of my motorhome. Hope this info helps someone thinking about adding an Air Lift system.
Tilted Kilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
PappaBull's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Prospect, KY
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilted Kilt View Post
I just wanted to share some information:

I own a 05 Winnebago Adventurer 35A on a Workhorse W24 chassis.
I installed Air Lift 5000 Ultimate kits in the front and rear of this chassis.
I purchased both of these kits at "Suspension Connection" for $827.93, taxes and shipping included in this price.

Kit AL88101 for the front
Kit AL88202 for the rear

These kits made major improvements to the ride and handling of my motorhome:

Steering was improved, (there was no more wandering)
Ride was much smoother
The coach is much quieter
Cornering was greatly improved (very impressed)
75% of the heavy banging from pot holes etc. has been greatly reduced.

I was completely impressed with the test ride after the installation.
I inflated the front bags 30 psi and the rear bags to 45 psi.

I installed the kits myself: The front kit was the easiest, I did not have to pull the front wheels or Jounce bumpers to install AL88101, this kit installs in front of the front axial.

I did not replace the Bilstein shocks.

The rear kit was a little more difficult as I had to pull the wheels and remove the old jounce bumpers and brackets before installing the AL88202 kit.

I would do it again in a heart beat because it truly made huge improvements to the ride and handling of my motorhome. Hope this info helps someone thinking about adding an Air Lift system.
thank you for the info
__________________
Kevan & Rebecca 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:15 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
George Schweikle's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,141
Good information, especially about reducing the banging from hitting bumps. What pressures did you use?. Just enough to take some load off of the leaf springs, or more pressure to actually raise the chassis?
__________________
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
2005 Safari Trek 28 RB2 Workhorse 8.1, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Duner's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Posts: 1,528
Thanks for posting. Can you also post pictures how they look installed front & rear.
Did you increase the ride height from stock? How much?
I watched the video below and see that they have an internal jounce bumper. Seems like leaving the stock front jounce bumpers on defeats the advantage of having less harsh bottoming out. Comments?

Video Link
Happy trails,
Bill
__________________
Bill & Helen & Bella (Yorkie/Chihuahua Mix)
Last of the Chieftains, 2004 39T, W22, UP tune, Banks, Koni's, Safe-T-Plus, SMI brake
2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid towed 4-down, 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
bruceh's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Coarsegold, CA
Posts: 884
I was intrigued by this and checked with etrailer to see if they would fit my motorhome. I was informed that they would not because mine is a 2001 w20. Apparently they will work on 2002 w20. Does anybody have any idea what change from year to year?
__________________
2001 Winnebago Adventurer, 35U, W-20 8.1
F+R Trac bars, F+R sway bars, SafTsteer, F Sumo Springs, 4 Koni FSDs

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:19 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Isaac-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SW Louisiana
Posts: 6,727
It may be a weight rating thing, I know when I installed them on the rear of my P32 coach that Airlift makes different kits for the under 15,500 GVWR chassis than for the over 15,500 GVWR and they use completely different mounting brackets and mounting bracket position. (one is above the leaf spring the other is outboard of the leaf spring)
__________________
2002 Safari Trek 2830 on P32 Chassis with 8.1L w/ 400 watts solar 420Ah LiFePo4
2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland & 2007 Toyota Yaris TOADs with Even Brake,
Demco Commander tow bar and Blue Ox / Roadmaster base plates
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:59 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Georgia
Posts: 40
I inflated the front to 30 psi and the rear to 45 psi. The bumps and bang still exist but they are greatly reduced. I will experiment with pressures, but I am impressed with what I have now
Tilted Kilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:11 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Georgia
Posts: 40
Yes the Air Life 5000 Ultimate Kit has internal Jounce Bumpers, however they recommend relocating and remounting the original rear jounce bumper (I have not done this). I believe it elevated the ride height (that's their original purpose) my main goal was ride comfort, but they will adjust height and level loads. I will post some photos of the front and rear installations.
Tilted Kilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Georgia
Posts: 40
I don't have exact info to offer but I did see Kits for W20 chassis, there's a lot to choose from out there as far as air rides go, someone will have a kit for your coach
Tilted Kilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:26 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Georgia
Posts: 40
This is exactly correct, when you specify your exact chassis they send the correct mounting brackets needed. The top brackets of all four of my air bags are bolted to the frame, and the bottoms are all bolted to a leaf spring.
Tilted Kilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:51 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
bruceh's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Coarsegold, CA
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilted Kilt View Post
I don't have exact info to offer but I did see Kits for W20 chassis, there's a lot to choose from out there as far as air rides go, someone will have a kit for your coach
The problem isn't W20, the problem is 2001 which I don't understand. 2002 and up seem OK but I would like to understand the difference.

Some else has requested pictures and I will second that, especially the front with as much detail as you can.

I was offered some non-airbag solutions but was really as interested.
__________________
2001 Winnebago Adventurer, 35U, W-20 8.1
F+R Trac bars, F+R sway bars, SafTsteer, F Sumo Springs, 4 Koni FSDs

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:46 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
MoCoTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pa
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
The problem isn't W20, the problem is 2001 which I don't understand. 2002 and up seem OK but I would like to understand the difference.

Some else has requested pictures and I will second that, especially the front with as much detail as you can.

I was offered some non-airbag solutions but was really as interested.
bruceh,
I see your signature shows front summo springs. Are you NOT happy with them? If not would you please give your reasons. Thanks
Tom
__________________
2004 Coachman Santara 3480DS Workhorse w-22
Retired OTR driver ATA 5 million mile safety award
USMC Vet 1968-1972
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
bruceh's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Coarsegold, CA
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
bruceh,
I see your signature shows front summo springs. Are you NOT happy with them? If not would you please give your reasons. Thanks
Tom
My Sumo springs are 6+ years old and don't seem to be that effective anymore.

They never really helped handling, they did smooth out some bumps.

I have always been interested in air springs and this thread resurrected that interest.
__________________
2001 Winnebago Adventurer, 35U, W-20 8.1
F+R Trac bars, F+R sway bars, SafTsteer, F Sumo Springs, 4 Koni FSDs

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 03:06 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Georgia
Posts: 40
Workhorse has good tech support, I got a chassis manual online, may be there will be a manual for the 01 and 02 so they can be compared. It's been raining here so I don't have pictures yet, but I'll post them soon.
Tilted Kilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hydra lift Trike lift. Pescara2016 Monaco Owner's Forum 10 12-28-2015 05:33 PM
Coach Lift chair lift for Newmar beretta648 Newmar Owner's Forum 2 11-16-2014 07:18 PM
Handicap lift-not wheelchair lift Wrinklemeist Class A Motorhome Discussions 15 08-10-2013 12:23 AM
Handy Lift Handicap Lift Frantz iRV2.com General Discussion 1 12-02-2011 11:52 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.