Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
My 26 foot 2008 Winnebago Sightseer is mounted on a W16000 Workhorse chassis with new Goodyear tires with fronts set at 85 PSI the chassis has the 3 Ts suspension upgrade and solid front axle. Unless I get a big negative from my truck alignment center I will go with the 5 degree positive caster addition.
Grimesy - Sir; What works successfully on a W24 - W22 I Beam Drop axle may not translate well to a W18 I-Beam front axle. Please keep that in mind when you make the decision. Hopefully your alignment shop will have good equipment and they may be able to rule that out as being needed of not.
In the 2010 Workhorse Motorhome Chassis Guide states that the caster is "not adjustable."

W SERIES MAINTENANCE AND INSPECTION
There are several factors that can affect front alignment. These factors include tire inflation,
the condition of wheel bearings, and the condition of steering and suspension components.
These are the basis for the following checks that can indicate problems that should be
corrected.
1. Check all tires for proper inflation pressures and approximately the same tread wear.
2. Check front wheel bearings for looseness.
3. Check for looseness in steering knuckle (king pin), tie rod ends and steering gear.
4. Check for excessive run-out of wheels and tires.
5. Check for a difference in the ride height between right and left sides of the vehicle.
6. Note: Excessive or unevenly distributed loads also affect ride height and alignment.
This should be taken into consideration when making the check.
7. Check for steering gear looseness at frame.
8. Check for improperly operating shock absorbers. There may be evidence of a leaking
shock(s).
9. Check for worn or missing spring tip inserts, spring clamp inserts and spring eyelet
bushings.
10. Check for loose or missing stabilizer bar attachments.
11. Steering and vibration complaints are not always the result of improper alignment. An
additional item to be checked is the possibility of tire lead due to worn or improperly
manufactured tires. “Lead” is the deviation of the vehicle from a straight path, on a
level road, without hand pressure on the steering wheel. Tire balance should also be
checked.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the 3T's option on the front of my coach. All that was done is that they moved the bottom brackets that were welded on the chassis. When the one of the shocks broke off at the mounting ubracket at about 35k miles, I decided that something was amiss. So, I installed regular truck shocks in the original brackets, I didn't notice any change in the ride or stability. Cost a lot less for the new shocks too!