Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2006, 07:41 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It was time to do the 25,000 mile fluid change on my transmission. I had decided to refill with Transynd rather than Dextron, so I checked prices with the two local Allison service providers listed in the booklet that came with my MH. One wanted between $45 and $50 per gallon - he would have to look up the price.
The other guy charged $33.78 per gallon, but he buys it by the barrel and I had to take my own container. The filter was $7.89.
Based on what I have read here in the forum the Transynd price was okay, and that's about what I paid for the filter I got for the 5,000 mile change.

Based on the refill (10.6 quarts) info in the Allison manual, I bought 3 1/2 gallons so as to have some on hand to add as needed.

I made the mistake of running the engine for a while hoping that the fluid would warm up some. That didn't seem to happen, but the torque converter did fill up so I got less fluid out than I would have if I had not run the engine. I only got out a little over two gallons instead of the expected 10.6 quarts.

I called Allison to ask about the aux filter that the manual says to replace and I couldn't find, and he said not to worry about the fluid. Just put back in the amount I took out. He said from a practical standpoint, waiting for the torque converter to drain wouldn't really make any difference. He also confirmed that there is only one filter to replace - called the control filter in the manual. The spin-on filter with the magnet (I remembered NOT to throw the magnet away this time) is the only one replaced in spite of what the manual says.

The only problem I encountered was putting the fluid in. The fill tube is small and high up and pretty far back and pouring it in would mean that only about a cup at a time could be poured into a flexible funnel. That seemed like it would take a long time to do.
Maybe other people are smarter than I am, but the only way I could see to do it with what I had on hand was to use a small hand operated transfer pump I have that screwed on the container I had the fluid in.

That worked well, so now I have Transynd in the transmission - well mostly Transynd - and I have over a gallon left over to use as needed.
My total cost including fluid, filter, and tax was $117.58.

If anyone has figured out a better way to add the new fluid, I would be interested in knowing how you did it.

EDIT: Corrected spelling of Transynd
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2006, 07:41 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It was time to do the 25,000 mile fluid change on my transmission. I had decided to refill with Transynd rather than Dextron, so I checked prices with the two local Allison service providers listed in the booklet that came with my MH. One wanted between $45 and $50 per gallon - he would have to look up the price.
The other guy charged $33.78 per gallon, but he buys it by the barrel and I had to take my own container. The filter was $7.89.
Based on what I have read here in the forum the Transynd price was okay, and that's about what I paid for the filter I got for the 5,000 mile change.

Based on the refill (10.6 quarts) info in the Allison manual, I bought 3 1/2 gallons so as to have some on hand to add as needed.

I made the mistake of running the engine for a while hoping that the fluid would warm up some. That didn't seem to happen, but the torque converter did fill up so I got less fluid out than I would have if I had not run the engine. I only got out a little over two gallons instead of the expected 10.6 quarts.

I called Allison to ask about the aux filter that the manual says to replace and I couldn't find, and he said not to worry about the fluid. Just put back in the amount I took out. He said from a practical standpoint, waiting for the torque converter to drain wouldn't really make any difference. He also confirmed that there is only one filter to replace - called the control filter in the manual. The spin-on filter with the magnet (I remembered NOT to throw the magnet away this time) is the only one replaced in spite of what the manual says.

The only problem I encountered was putting the fluid in. The fill tube is small and high up and pretty far back and pouring it in would mean that only about a cup at a time could be poured into a flexible funnel. That seemed like it would take a long time to do.
Maybe other people are smarter than I am, but the only way I could see to do it with what I had on hand was to use a small hand operated transfer pump I have that screwed on the container I had the fluid in.

That worked well, so now I have Transynd in the transmission - well mostly Transynd - and I have over a gallon left over to use as needed.
My total cost including fluid, filter, and tax was $117.58.

If anyone has figured out a better way to add the new fluid, I would be interested in knowing how you did it.

EDIT: Corrected spelling of Transynd
Old 10-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I asked the guys at Redlands Truck about changing to Transynd when I had the Southie in there to install the Ultrapower, and they said that on a 20K lb chassis (W20), its overkill. According to them, the Dexron is just fine because the tranny is very lightly loaded.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:33 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have W20 chassis and I still plan on going to the synthetic fluid this coming spring when I take our motorhome out of winter storage. I don't think the difference in weight between our RV and a RV on a W24 chassis is why you would or would not use synthetic fluid.The synthetic fluid helps the tranny run cooler and the fluid itself performs better at higher temperatures than Dexron, and that can't be a bad thing. I just recently checked at our local oil change shop about the cost of changing to synthetic tranny fluid. The shop uses what is called the "T-Tech" transmission fluid changing system that changes 99.9% of the fluid in one operation, including the torque converter. Using Mobil 1 synthetic transmission oil the owner of the shop gave me an estimate of about $200.00 to have it done. Considering I don't have to get dirty or worry about hauling the old oil somewhere to dispose properly and that I don't have to change the fluid twice to achieve near total fluid change I thought it sounded like an ok price to me. I look at it as cheap insurance to make my transmission last longer.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wilanddij:
According to them, the Dexron is just fine because the tranny is very lightly loaded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> "BUT" I'm not buying that argument. WCC would not be spending the money to fill all Allison transmissions with Transynd if the benefit were doubtful.

If they are comparing our 1000 series transmissions to 4000 series transmission then they are right our transmissions are lightly loaded. Our motorhomes are running in a severe service envelope and all the maintenance and or service items and fluids reflect that to include, syn in the differential.

and then .... there's that 5 year, 200,000 mile warranty as well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I'm with Driver - synthetic is superior even though the W20 is somewhat lighter loaded than a W22 witht he same tranny. Sure the Dexron is adequate, but synthetic of any sort is healthier for your transmission, which is arguably the hardest working component of your motorhome.

Synthetic may be overkill for any of us, especially if you trade the rig in less than 5 years (as most do), but synthetic is also relatively cheap insurance on those hot summer days when you run for hours at highway speeds, climb steep grades or crawl through stop-and-go traffic to get out of town. All of these generate a lot of heat stress in the tranny and anythng you can do to help it out is worthwhile in my book.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:16 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need to change the Transmission Fluid and the Filter TWICE, to achieve the right percentage of Transynd Fluid.

I agree with theothers, Synthetic is the way to go. I opted for Amsoil, and changed at 20,000 miles.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:38 AM   #8

If Transynd is the recommended fluid for Allison, why aren't they delivered that way?
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:54 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freddy:
If Transynd is the recommended fluid for Allison, why aren't they delivered that way? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
About twenty minutes after you and I bought ours they did start delivering them filled with Transynd.
Cost was the reason they didn't, so cost must have been the reason they started. Warranty costs must be less with it.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:24 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freddy:
If Transynd is the recommended fluid for Allison, why aren't they delivered that way? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>When Allison builds the transmissions they test them with Transynd. The transmissions are then drained and shipped to the chassis builder in a container. Once the transmission is mated to the engine and installed in the chassis the transmission is filled with Transynd. That's the way they are doing it now and have been for over a year.

The warranty improvement, 5Y/200K, using Transynd that is offered by Allison at this point makes it unconscionable not to fill the transmission with Transynd.

I've seen GM advertising where they are giving a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty on their products. Now exactly why we aren't getting that on our motors I'm still trying to figure that out. Most likely once the engine is out of GM's hands and sold to a 2nd party perhaps the warranty doesn't follow the product since Workhorse gives us a 3 year and 36,000 mile warranty.

I also haven't heard whether or not there's a 5Y/100K warranty on the WCC/GM Class C van cutaway chassis since the vehicle is built and warrantied by GM.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Actually my Warranty from Allison is 200,000 miles, 5 years 100% parts and labor. Recently, this August,06, Allison informed me that if I would change my , April 2005 W24 MH Xmission from Dexron to TranSynd or a TES 295 approved synthetic fluid they would extend my warranty from 2yrs 80,000 to 5yrs 200,000 at no cost. I agreed and they sent me a warranty certificate stating such.
I keep hearing the 100k miles thing but my conversation with Allison for my MH was always 200k which I understood to be their normal warranty for a MH Allison with TranSynd since 4/2005. Maybe the 100k is with WCC. Maybe things have changed since I did mine in Aug.06?
I think the 1000, 2100 xmissions are the same warranty wise.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Yes you're right!

It's 5 years and or 200,000 miles. The service interval is 4 years and or 100,000 miles between fluid chanmges.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:10 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The only problem I encountered was putting the fluid in. The fill tube is small and high up and pretty far back and pouring it in would mean that only about a cup at a time could be poured into a flexible funnel. That seemed like it would take a long time to do.
Maybe other people are smarter than I am, but the only way I could see to do it with what I had on hand was to use a small hand operated transfer pump I have that screwed on the container I had the fluid in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just changed mine to TranSynd this week. I attached a long plastic hose to a funnel and shoved it down the tube but it was still very slow and awkward. I thought of using a pump but since I was working from a 5 gallon can did not know how to measure it properly. What was your method - trial & error?
Old 11-01-2006, 04:34 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RamblinFever:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The only problem I encountered was putting the fluid in. The fill tube is small and high up and pretty far back and pouring it in would mean that only about a cup at a time could be poured into a flexible funnel. That seemed like it would take a long time to do.
Maybe other people are smarter than I am, but the only way I could see to do it with what I had on hand was to use a small hand operated transfer pump I have that screwed on the container I had the fluid in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just changed mine to TranSynd this week. I attached a long plastic hose to a funnel and shoved it down the tube but it was still very slow and awkward. I thought of using a pump but since I was working from a 5 gallon can did not know how to measure it properly. What was your method - trial & error? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, I poured the old fluid into a container, marked the level, poured it out, cleaned the container and poured in the Transynd to the measured level. Then transferred it to the container with a screw top that the pump fit. A lot of messing around and clean up, but it did work okay.