Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2005, 05:22 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Foster:
I don't think my Workhorse dealer has the ability to "pump" the Transynd in which would totally replace the old oil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jack, More than likely not. What you need to look for is this:

Atlantic DDA is a Regional Service Center.

What you need to do is find a DDA in your region. The DDA has the necessary power flusing gear and they should be able to service your transmission in one-stop.

If I would have seen your city and state in your profile you would already have this information.

Now how did I do mine? Well I initially went the long route and then took a short cut.

I replaced my spin on filter, drained and refilled my transmission, about 10 or so quarts and refilled it using Amsoil Torque Shift Synthetic Fluid. Good deal, now all I have to do is change it and the filter one more time and I'm good to go. Well I didn't have the time to do it again for whatever reason and I hadn't ordered the other 2.5 gallons of fluid and filter so I looked up the nearest DDA and found Atlantic.

Atlantic power flushed the transmission using Transynd and the motorhome was back out on the line just as we got back from having breakfast at Mickey Dees.

Bada-Boom, Bada-Bing done!

So go out and find a DDA Regional Center and you should be good to go.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2005, 06:42 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What you need to do is find a DDA in your region. The DDA has the necessary power flusing gear and they should be able to service your transmission in one-stop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not all DDAs have the ability to "power flush" the closest one to me in Los Angeles which is in I believe Covina (I would have to go back and look) does not do this, they also use the two change method and told me so when I stopped by last summer. So I went ahead and did it myself. Saved lost of bucks too.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YosemiteBobR:
Not all DDAs have the ability to "power flush" the closest one to me in Los Angeles which is in I believe Covina </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Is this facility a service center or a Regional service center? The bigger shops often have the power flushing gear..<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">.. they also use the two change method and told me so when I stopped by last summer.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Man what a waste! You are right as rain though, given the choices I would also changed the fluid myself. Did you remove the pan to get out the extra quart of fluid? Just curious.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
Originally posted by YosemiteBobR:

Not all DDAs have the ability to "power flush" the closest one to me in Los Angeles which is in I believe 'City of Industry'

Is this facility a service center or a Regional service center? The bigger shops often have the power flushing gear..

quote:
.. they also use the two change method and told me so when I stopped by last summer..

Man what a waste! You are right as rain though, given the choices I would also changed the fluid myself. Did you remove the pan to get out the extra quart of fluid? Just curious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Put it this way, I am 37 feet long and I felt to be the shortest vehicle in the area. All diesels, except for me, huge place, and extreamly friendly. Yes, for the second change I did remove the pan, although they said it was unnecessary, but that is just me. I even changed the seal (gasket) they said that was unnecessary as well, again that is just me. Bought 10 gallons of Transyn from them, they smiled about that.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:58 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bought 10 gallons of Transyn from them, they smiled about that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You gotta mean 10 quarts...
Old 12-12-2005, 05:04 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
You gotta mean 10 quarts... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Probably did mean quarts.

For a 2 change scenario, way I figure it is 5.5 gallons +/- a quart or so should a handled it.

Still at $30+ bucks a gallon it adds up quickly plus filters.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:04 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
What can I expect to pay for a Transyn change and filter at Detroit Allison in Ocala??

Or if you'll be home in Conway on the 27th I'll stop for a change at your garage. ;-) I'll be comin' down 905/701.

Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:01 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
Bought 10 gallons of Transyn from them, they smiled about that.

You gotta mean 10 quarts... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, I bought 10 gallons. That is why they smiled It took about 10 quarts the first time (2.5 gallons) the rest in the motorhome for as needed, then the second time it took 14 quarts that would be 3.5 gallons that is what 6 gallons and then I changed my allison in my pickup another 2.5 gallons. and some extra for that one. I think I have one gallon unused in the garage waiting. And - they gave me a price brake with ten gallons.

Bob
Old 12-12-2005, 02:06 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
What can I expect to pay for a Transynd change and filter at Detroit Allison in Ocala?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd say about $85.00 to $95.00 in fluid, 10 bucks for a filter, and labor. Call them and ask them for an estimate. I understand that the Ocala DDA is a good shop. I read where one guy paid 479.00 for a 2 change plus filters but I don't know where.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Or if you'll be home in Conway on the 27th I'll stop for a change at your garage. ;-) I'll be comin' down 905/701. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep we'll be home at that time, send me a PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bob

I was searching for info on trans temps.

If you need workhorse service have you tried McBride's Service in Chino, CA

They are a great place for service.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:47 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer

Is there an adapter available anywhere that will allow a temp sender to be installed in the trans cooler line?

I installed an electric trans temp gauge on my MH a couple of months ago. On a recent trip to Canada and back the gauge read about 160deg F most of the time and never went above 180.

I am not sure how good a temp reading I am getting since temp sender is clamped to the outside of the cooler out line and insulated with pipe insulation

Why can't Allison put in a threaded temp sender boss in the housing? They go to all the trouble to include a PTO output.

Thanks
George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cvrvr:
Is there an adapter available anywhere that will allow a temp sender to be installed in the trans cooler line? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi George! I'm not sure about a sender specific vendor however when you buy a gauge the manufacturer will normally give you the sender in the kit. You would have to see if the gauge meets with your need.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I installed an electric trans temp gauge on my MH a couple of months ago. On a recent trip to Canada and back the gauge read about 160deg F most of the time and never went above 180. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That would be consistent with the routine efficiency of the transmission cooler. A transmission will offer excellent longevity and efficiency when it runs cool. Having a sender that exactly shows the value of the temperature may be neat to have however your results will be consistent with what you are already experiencing.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why can't Allison put in a threaded temp sender boss in the housing? They go to all the trouble to include a PTO output. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>A PTO is an essential component of an automatic transmission such as an Allison which is used in numerous applications. One such application is a gear driven generator like you might find on an ambulance or other emergency vehicles. A temperature sender port would be something they might want to consider however they don't see it as essential. In line senders in the transmission cooler lines appear to be the norm in most applications. Knowing the output temperature before it gets to the cooler would probably be the best information about the performance of the transmission.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
OK, I have to chime in here. After reading these threads I get the impression that we need trans gauges and need to keep an eye on the temp or we may destroy our transmissions. And also that I should drain the Dyno oil that Allison installed and replace it with synthetic to prevent damage. I would be VERY disappointed if my transmission fried while climbing a 6% grade with a toad attached that does not exceed my GCWR and a load that does not exceed my GVWR. If Allison felt the need to keep a close eye on their transmissions temp, I believe they would have provided a gauge. I also doubt that Allison would warranty a transmission if I need to keep an eye the temp under what I would call normal operation. I do check my fluid before every trip and adhere to the maintenance schedule.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:09 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
I do check my fluid before every trip and adhere to the maintenance schedule. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> That's what you need to do to be on the safe side. Allison made sure that their transmissions are getting adequate cooling through the cool pack that WCC provides. Transynd on the other hand improves the properties of the fluid in the transmission and that's currently the standard fill.

The best transmission deserves nothing but the best fluid. No need in my opinion to be overly concerned about knowing exactly what temperature the transmission is running at because WCC has you covered in that respect with the abundantly large cool pack.