Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #1

Hi,

I searched for an Allison dealer and much to my surprise he was local. About a 15 minute drive. Got a filter for the transmission and about 1L of Transynd. Nice guy...He understood my predicament of having to buy 1 gallon and only using 1/2 L or less to fill the filter. So what he did; he went back to the service shop and found a partly used gallon jug and brought it up to me. And NO CHARGE...I shuttered at the idea of having to purchase a full gallon and have it sit in my garage for 2 years.

He went on to explain that the big rigs they service always have extra left over. He said they sit the partly filled jugs in a corner and wait till the pile gets big enough to do smaller transmissions like ours. They go through this stuff like water........

Phantomiz@Work
Phantomiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #2

Hi,

I searched for an Allison dealer and much to my surprise he was local. About a 15 minute drive. Got a filter for the transmission and about 1L of Transynd. Nice guy...He understood my predicament of having to buy 1 gallon and only using 1/2 L or less to fill the filter. So what he did; he went back to the service shop and found a partly used gallon jug and brought it up to me. And NO CHARGE...I shuttered at the idea of having to purchase a full gallon and have it sit in my garage for 2 years.

He went on to explain that the big rigs they service always have extra left over. He said they sit the partly filled jugs in a corner and wait till the pile gets big enough to do smaller transmissions like ours. They go through this stuff like water........

Phantomiz@Work
Phantomiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #3

I just did some searching for Transyd in my area. So far, I have found that only Allison shops sell the stuff and it is just DARN expen$ive. What a deal for Castrol/Allison on this. I was quoted $40 a gallon. That is supposedly the smallest container it comes in. Pretty darn expen$ive for half to sit in my garage and half in the coach for emergencies.
I even checked places like NAPA, Kragen and Auto Zone and they don't carry it. Kind of frustrating.
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
iRV2 Sponsor

We carry it.
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:03 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV 4 2:
I just did some searching for Transyd in my area. So far, I have found that only Allison shops sell the stuff and it is just DARN expen$ive. What a deal for Castrol/Allison on this. I was quoted $40 a gallon. That is supposedly the smallest container it comes in. Pretty darn expen$ive for half to sit in my garage and half in the coach for emergencies.
I even checked places like NAPA, Kragen and Auto Zone and they don't carry it. Kind of frustrating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I checked with two Allison authorized shops in Grand Junction CO. One wanted close to $50 per gallon and the other wanted $33 per gallon - but I had to furnish my own container since they pumped it out of a 55 gallon drum.
You might want to check with with all of the shops in your area, maybe you will find one with a reasonable price.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:07 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Redlands Truck and RV:
We carry it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK Keith , now can you move to north Orange County ... It would sure make my life easier. Actually, that would be a bad thing, I would go poor spending money in your toy shop. I would have a nice RV but I would be poor.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
Official iRV2 Sponsor

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:
but I had to furnish my own container </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can put it in a dixie cup for a dollar!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:45 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:
but I had to furnish my own container </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can put it in a dixie cup for a dollar! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Mike, I got three gallons - that's going to take a bunch of Dixie cups!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 06:32 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is $33/gallon the best price anyone has seen?

2017 F150 Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:17 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought 6 gals. of TranSynd at Valley Power Systems, Inc. in City of Industry, Ca. for $30.88 each. They are a Allison Distributor.

Ed
Old 09-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jeepster47:
I bought 6 gals. of TranSynd at Valley Power Systems, Inc. in City of Industry, Ca. for $30.88 each. They are a Allison Distributor.

Ed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW, that is a awful lot of that slippery stuff, I am curious, why so much?
Old 09-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV 4 2:
... that is a awful lot of that slippery stuff, I am curious, why so much? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>In accomplishing a transmission fluid change to synthetic, it will require that it be drained and refilled twice and you will also need to replace 2 spin on filters and 5.15 gallons of transmission fluid.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:55 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer, How long (months or miles) between changes when changing over to the transynd? I am thinking about changing to the transynd.

Thanks,

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer, when I did the 2 tranny fluid change to TranSynd, I measured the old fluid at a good 3 gals.(6 gals. for both changes including fluid in old filter). Wonder why the difference between ours? Maybe the way the torque converter stopped?

Ed