Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2007, 06:35 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my coach the alternator has never charged the house batteries while we are driving. I just read that Workhorse includes an isolator to charge this bank of batteries, but won't allow a backflow of 12 volts when the coach is off. Can Brazel's or Redland's let me know how to have this fixed as I am having a hard time finding someone to fix this. I know that many coaches were set-up like mine, incorrectly. Is this a easy repair?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2007, 06:35 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my coach the alternator has never charged the house batteries while we are driving. I just read that Workhorse includes an isolator to charge this bank of batteries, but won't allow a backflow of 12 volts when the coach is off. Can Brazel's or Redland's let me know how to have this fixed as I am having a hard time finding someone to fix this. I know that many coaches were set-up like mine, incorrectly. Is this a easy repair?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't believe that it's a Workhorse thing. Generally the RV manufacturer includes it. On my Suncruiser and on both of my Tiffin's I have a charge solenoid. Whenever the ignition key is in the ON position, the charge solenoid engages and connects the chassis battery positive power to the house battery positive power. This ties the two systems together so that the alternator can charge both systems. Once you shut off the engine the solenoid opens and you have two separate battery systems. This is pretty much standard in RVs so I would assume that any RV dealership could handle this. I'm betting that yours is there but it just isn't working, either a bad solenoid or a break in the circuit that energizes it - maybe even a fuse.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:51 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When your coach is on shore power, check out the 12 volt distribution center circuit board.
The interconnect solenoid(isolator relay)mounted on the back side of the circuit board should be on and would feel warm to the touch. If it is not on, it may be a blown fuse, #F32, (look for an led indicator of blown fuse next to that fuse) on the 12 volt distribution panel circuit board. If the fuse is good then a bad interconnect solenoid or the circuit board its self may have a bad component on it.

If the solenoid is on (warm), then likely the solenoid contacts are bad and it needs replacing.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
iRV2 Sponsor

VoW,

Your coach batteries should charge with engine alternator, as you have seen from the other posts your problem lies in the coach wiring and circuits. Let me do some over the phone diagnostics with my National guy and let's see what we can come up with.
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
iRV2 Sponsor

VoW,

I spoke with our National rep, he confirms M&EM's suspicion of a problem at the Distribution Panel Circuit board. He indicates that your symptom of no charge at coach battery while driving is 99% Circuit board at the Dist Panel. He said the Dist Panel is either in the right side 1st compartment or the battery compartment.

Hope this helps!!
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Redlands Truck and RV:
VoW,

I spoke with our National rep, he confirms M&EM's suspicion of a problem at the Distribution Panel Circuit board. He indicates that your symptom of no charge at coach battery while driving is 99% Circuit board at the Dist Panel. He said the Dist Panel is either in the right side 1st compartment or the battery compartment.

Hope this helps!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keith, I commend you. I've been on this site now for a while, and no where else have I ever come across where a vendor goes out of the way to help members so much. And while I'm at it I have to commend Mike as well, for he is another. I proud to be part of this site.

I might add that it also goes without saying all the help that is given by the members as well.
As well as the admistrators. (DriVer)
Kudos to all.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:29 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
VOW, I've posted a couple of photos that show the solenoid and the fuse I refer to above.
Hope this helps. I believe your panel is located in the compartment forward of the entry door on the rear wall of that space.

May take a while for photos to be approved by the administrator(s) They will be in the photos section under "home&gt;myphotos&gt;home2"
Old 01-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you everyone for your help, especially Redlands. I know that both Redland's and Brazel's really know their stuff! I just put the motorhome into storage in Charleston,Sc and I am back in Chicago but we will be back in March during the kid's spring break and I will trace down the info. I do know that the panel is in the forward comparment along side the Xantrex 2000 watt inverter/charger but I have no idea what to look for on the panel. I will try to call National Rv. Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2007, 05:25 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
M&EM, thank you for all your informed help! Could you post the pictures you are talking about? I have tried without success to find the pictures you are talking about "home&gt;myphotos&gt;home2". I have looked in the photo gallery to no avail. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:42 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry VoW, don't know what happened to the upload. Just redid them. Perhaps my original file size was too large. http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...500&ppuser=337

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...500&ppuser=337
Old 01-08-2007, 12:55 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
M&EM - your the best! Thanks for the pictures!