Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
After viewing jbrnigan's and DriVer's excellent posts on their cold air systems numerous times decided "Just go for it." Oemtech said Walmart had battery boxes..So off I go getting parts and after getting all the parts on jbrnigan's list I was ready to start...back to Home Depot for more parts. Good thing Home Depot is close by. It's not pretty but think it will work okay. After what seemed like hundreds of trips under the motorhome I ended up with this:

That S&B Filter was a lot bigger than I thouht it would be..but fit in the battery box real nice. The filter was a real tight fit over the 4" pvc pipe so put it in outside of the motorhome and intalled it as a complete unit. Lot easier than standing on a ladder and trying to put the filter in from the front.

That black caulk was real messy stuff and that picture sure picked it up. Wish I had used something else..maybe next time.

And what better place to check it out than our Texas Boomer Easter rally next weekend.

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
After viewing jbrnigan's and DriVer's excellent posts on their cold air systems numerous times decided "Just go for it." Oemtech said Walmart had battery boxes..So off I go getting parts and after getting all the parts on jbrnigan's list I was ready to start...back to Home Depot for more parts. Good thing Home Depot is close by. It's not pretty but think it will work okay. After what seemed like hundreds of trips under the motorhome I ended up with this:

That S&B Filter was a lot bigger than I thouht it would be..but fit in the battery box real nice. The filter was a real tight fit over the 4" pvc pipe so put it in outside of the motorhome and intalled it as a complete unit. Lot easier than standing on a ladder and trying to put the filter in from the front.

That black caulk was real messy stuff and that picture sure picked it up. Wish I had used something else..maybe next time.

And what better place to check it out than our Texas Boomer Easter rally next weekend.

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Old 04-09-2006, 03:31 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Why to go Hamie... Just about what I had planned. Where did you get the filter? Local or order? I will check it out next week. We are at Top Of The Hill RV in Boerne this w/e.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now thats what I would call really doing it yourself, good job Hamie. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:55 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Oemtech

Ordered the R0832 filter from S&B..couldn't find one locally. http://www.sbfilters.com/universal_filters.php

See you next weekend.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:28 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Nice job Hamie. Thanks for the pictures - really helps.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:10 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Nice job Hamie. Thanks for the pictures - really helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
YUP, looks good, HAMIE.

Not trying to be negative here, but please keep a close eye on your "messy" black caulk. SOMETIMES caulking materials have a hard time staying "stuck" to various types of plastic. I'll bet that battery box is made of polypropelyene, and "some" caulks may not adhere permanently to PP. The back side of the filter would be a disasterous place for a leak to develope, allowing water and dirt to get sucked in. I hope your CAI works well for you for many happy miles-just wanted to caution about the caulk. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
edgray

Thanks for the heads up on the caulk..will probably redo that after I take a trip to see how things work out. May want to change something else.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:20 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Nice job Hamie, I wouldn't worry too much about that caulk, your filter is clamped down tight onto the intake, nothing will enter you engine if the caulk fails. Try some expanding foam sparingly around the crack it fill fill every nook and cranny. I did my home brew breather this weekend, it worked out well with not to much hastle. I hope to have pics posted soon. Mufflers have also been installed. Last move is the PCM programming!

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:22 AM   #10

Nice job Hamie. The battery box would seem to be a good idea. I just returned from an extended weekend trip and think that the box might help mute some of the intake noise. It's not a show stopper, but it can be a liitle annoying on a long uphill pull. Great idea.

Custom CAI
jbrnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:24 AM   #11

ps to my previous post, I wouldn't even worry about caulking the tubing into the box, if the box is secure to the coach, what's it matter.

Custom CAI
jbrnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:31 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I just returned from an extended weekend trip and think that the box might help mute some of the intake noise. It's not a show stopper, but it can be a liitle annoying on a long uphill pull. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
jbrnigan, our intakes are about the same in design, i haven't been out yet, but i think the mufflers may drown out the intake I know it deffinatly sounds different !!!

Old 04-10-2006, 07:51 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wouldn't worry too much about that caulk, your filter is clamped down tight onto the intake, nothing will enter you engine if the caulk fails. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YOUSE GUYS are absolutely correct!! I don't know what I was thinking. Sorry for any confusion I may have created. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:26 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
That's OK ED, guyz your age do get special consideration.