Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another Happy User - Koni FSD shocks

Just wanted to post our results when we changed the front shocks on our 34-foot 2009 Monaco Monarch on a W22 Chassis from the original (Bilsteins?) to Koni FSDs. The chassis was built in December 2007 and we bought the MH in July 2008.

Reading others posts here had convinced me that the Konis would be a big improvement to our MH and boy, were they ever!

Where before we'd had a jittery ride on rough roads and a good deal of swaying on curves (highway offramps, etc.) the ride is now much more controlled and composed, including less sway. I was expecting it to be less jittery, but I'm surprised at how much it has improved the control. I look forward to changing the rear shocks for FSDs as well, and ultimately adding a beefier sway bar. Once we have the bucks....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Bruce,

I will add my 2 cents also. I added 4 new Konis a couple months ago. My first trip out (500 miles) was awesome. The ride and the sway was much better than I expected from just a shock change. I'm going to add the sway bar a littler later on also when I get the "extra" bucks.
So if you happen to get any "extra", send some my way.

Later,
See ya down the road,
Larry
Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bruce;

Thanks for the report. I have a goal to replace my shocks with Konis but do to shortage of funds I have not yet been able to do it. I have been looking for the extra bucks in my wife's budget and I am not doing well.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too changed out the shocks to Koni about 2 years ago and was the best thing I did!!

The sway bar would be a real good update. I installed a Helwig bar and it made a world of difference in handing and stability!!

Good luck finding EXTRA bucks in this economy!!

Hi Don,

Later all,
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2004 National, Dolphin LX, and the ride is really rough on bumpy roads. I was told the Koni's will help smooth the ride so I am going to have them installed soon. I hope I am as satisfied as all of you.
georgem37303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgem37303 View Post
I hope I am as satisfied as all of you.
I am sure that you will be. The FSD shocks are remarkable.

I want to be the first to offer you a BIG welcome to iRV2 and the Workhorse Owner's Forum. Please come back and visit us often and please feel free to post as much you want.

We'll be here if you have any questions! Thanks for joining us.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you
georgem37303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I put Konis on our MH about 2 1/2 years ago. Changed from the factory Monroes to the Bilstiens and wasn't real happy about the harsh ride I got from the Bilstiens. Found this web site, IRV2, and read about all the happy people with the Konis. Took off the new Bilstiens and installed the Konis. Real happy with the Konis. I've been trying to give away the Bilstiens ever since , but nobody wants them. Everyone wants Konis. Well worth the money, even in a tight economy. Make driving more enjoyable.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
I put Konis on our MH about 2 1/2 years ago. Changed from the factory Monroes to the Bilstiens and wasn't real happy about the harsh ride I got from the Bilstiens. Found this web site, IRV2, and read about all the happy people with the Konis. Took off the new Bilstiens and installed the Konis. Real happy with the Konis. I've been trying to give away the Bilstiens ever since , but nobody wants them. Everyone wants Konis. Well worth the money, even in a tight economy. Make driving more enjoyable.
Ya, the great info on this forum can save you a lot of money and avoid frustrations. The $$ you spent on Bilstiens could of been spent on UltrapPower and then you'd be a real happy camper.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:49 AM   #10
rek

Bruce,
We also have a 09 Monarch(35SFD) on a W22 chassis that can have a rough ride depending on the road conditions. This is our first MH and it takes some getting used to driving it. We did add safty-steer but it sounds like the Koni's would add a big improvement with the ride and handling. What kind of price are the Konis and can you install them yourself?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Bruce
We installed our Koni's this summer, one day I cleaned the treads and sprayed them, 2nd day took the old shocks off, not easy, but you can do it with a long breaker bar, 3rd day I installed the Koni easy. Also added a blue ox track bar. We like them, much inproved, ride and handling.
We got ours at shox.com $630.00 free ship.

We priced them first at a RV shop, over $2,000.00 for the Koni's installed WOW good luck Denny
Old 10-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I bought our Konis from shox.com also ($509.00). Lued has a good plan of taking your time to remove the bolts. They can be stubborn. One of the front bolts on my MH needed an impact gun to get off; it was cross threaded at the factory. Everyone I can think of whom as asked about handling improvements for the W22 or where hesitant because of the price of the Konis have been VERY please with the results once they installed the Konis. Not many products out there that can stand up to that kind of scrutiny
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rek View Post
This is our first MH and it takes some getting used to driving it. We did add safty-steer but it sounds like the Koni's would add a big improvement with the ride and handling. What kind of price are the Konis and can you install them yourself?
Rek - have to admit that I'm not handy so paid our shop to install them. Paid $600 for the front pair installed, and will pay another $600 for the rear pair to be installed in a month or two.

We also started with a Safe-T-Steer right after we bought ours, and saw improvement in tracking and wander. The Koni's improve bounce and sway.

Enjoy and safe driving!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Daysu47:
I am trying to decide between shocks and a sway bar. Probably need and will have both eventually but we can only afford one choice for now. So, which do you believe would be the biggest bang for the buck as a first install?
We have 39' 2007 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager. It is not "terrible" but does rock and roll and sway and bounce with the factory Monroes on it. I don't thing they are uselss, just too soft.

Tks
johnandcaren is offline   Reply With Quote