Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
If you want add on air bag (springs) to ride better with no loss of performance you should add an air ride expansion tank (often called a ping tank) to the system. The addition of a one gallon tank for each air bag will soften the harshness often experienced with air helpers when hitting major highway imperfections. The bag is plumbed to the tank and then the tank is aired to whatever pressure you desire. The jolt felt with these small bags is due to the spike in air pressure when compressed by bumps, the smaller the bag the higher the pressure spikes. Adding the tank simply expands the air capacity of the system and therefore lowers the rapid air pressure spike.
Tom
Just let the air out will do the same thing, and if you do that, you didn't need them.

If you want a better ride, you don't add more suspension to a hard riding axle.

You weigh the load over the axle and reduce the spring rate so it just supports it.

Do you think adding air bags to your car will make it ride smoother ?

Ever notice that a pickup will ride smoother, with a load in the bed ? The springs are made for a load on them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor396 View Post
Google Firestone 2582 ride right air spring kit. They have different kits depending on your chassis

OK, I looked them up. Nothing for Workhorse.
Also, that is not an air suspension, they are air helper springs.

The Kellerman kit attaches at one end of the leaf spring between the spring end and the frame, thus softening the harshness of the stiff leaf spring.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
The Kellerman kit attaches at one end of the leaf spring between the spring end and the frame, thus softening the harshness of the stiff leaf spring.
Perhaps you mean Kelderman? https://kelderman.com/

I've seen that air bag/leaf spring setup detailed before but looking at their website now i sure don't see it.

I do see an entirely new airbag rear suspension system for F53's though. It appears to replace the stock leaf springs entirely.
https://kelderman.com/shop/ford-f-53...air-suspension

They have a front suspension kit that put's air bags on the leaf spring BUT they replace the stock leaf springs with lighter duty leaf springs. Which sounds like a good way to go.

https://kelderman.com/shop/ford-f-53...air-suspension

About $5000 for both setups combined plus installation.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #60

National RV Owners Club
For Workhorse kits from Kelderman : https://kelderman.com/shop/catalogse...t/?q=workhorse

Kelderman's Black Friday Sale starts Nov.26.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #61

Installed Sumos up front today. 15 minutes for the passenger side, much longer on the drivers (let’s just say getting the nut on is a bit more challenging). Have driven it far, but can tell some subtle differences.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #62

We just returned from our standard desert weekend out here in San Diego. 99 miles from sea level, cross 3600 elvation just under the town of Julian, then back to 163 ft ASL. Time to replace the shocks!
If you've ever driven the canyons on Hwy 78 you know sway is not an option as the rock structuers are wayyyy too close to the lanes edge!

We have the Koni FSDs all around and every heavy duty bar the previous owner could have installed. The rig turns on a dime, and handles best out of 5 models I test drove. Before I even left the parking lot, I knew I wanted the Allegro Bay 34XB for the turning radius. Once on the highway, I was sold.

I found the paper work for the Konis last night....in 2006 they were $225 ea!! Thank goodness they are way down from that price.

I am tempted by the Sumos, however we tow a 20' enclosed 90% of the time, so I have to consider that rear load...anyone towing heavy using Sumos? Input is appreciated, unless you are comparing scooter work to this topic, lol....
FMF1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:43 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMF1996 View Post
We just returned from our standard desert weekend out here in San Diego. 99 miles from sea level, cross 3600 elvation just under the town of Julian, then back to 163 ft ASL. Time to replace the shocks!
If you've ever driven the canyons on Hwy 78 you know sway is not an option as the rock structuers are wayyyy too close to the lanes edge!

We have the Koni FSDs all around and every heavy duty bar the previous owner could have installed. The rig turns on a dime, and handles best out of 5 models I test drove. Before I even left the parking lot, I knew I wanted the Allegro Bay 34XB for the turning radius. Once on the highway, I was sold.

I found the paper work for the Konis last night....in 2006 they were $225 ea!! Thank goodness they are way down from that price.

I am tempted by the Sumos, however we tow a 20' enclosed 90% of the time, so I have to consider that rear load...anyone towing heavy using Sumos? Input is appreciated, unless you are comparing scooter work to this topic, lol....
Just want to make sure I am understanding you, you already have Koni shocks on your RV, and need to replace them?

How many miles do the Konis have on them?

If you are already going to have to replace the Konis why are you going with the same shock?

Shocks should last tens of thousands of miles.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #64

I think he was just mentioning how much the Konis cost in 06, I don't think he is actually replacing them.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I think he was just mentioning how much the Konis cost in 06, I don't think he is actually replacing them.
In post #62 "time to replace the shocks"

"We just returned from our standard desert weekend out here in San Diego. 99 miles from sea level, cross 3600 elvation just under the town of Julian, then back to 163 ft ASL. Time to replace the shocks!"
Old 02-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
In post #62 "time to replace the shocks"

"We just returned from our standard desert weekend out here in San Diego. 99 miles from sea level, cross 3600 elvation just under the town of Julian, then back to 163 ft ASL. Time to replace the shocks!"
Missed that.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:23 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Just want to make sure I am understanding you, you already have Koni shocks on your RV, and need to replace them?

How many miles do the Konis have on them?

If you are already going to have to replace the Konis why are you going with the same shock?

Shocks should last tens of thousands of miles.

Yep. The Konis on our Itasca are 16 years old and have over 40000 miles on them. They seem as good now as they did in 2004 when they were installed.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #68

Anybody need some factory 2004 W22 front bumpstops? Replaced them with Sumos. If anybody can use them, they’re yours for the taking.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:47 AM   #69

Sumo Springs added years ago. Koni FSD installed. Very little help with bridge approaches and potholes. My last hope is to change to wider series tires so I can lower the air pressure in front tires. Air carries the load, not the tires.
MaggieMay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:00 AM   #70

yellow stops

kxbronco, if u still have the stops, i'll take them.

william
2005 w22
wgiff is offline   Reply With Quote