Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2005, 06:00 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I recently was in touch with my contacts at Workhorse and on your behalf I asked and received answers for the following issues that was of concern to the members here in the WCMC Forum.

What about those Actia Instrument Panels and why has it taken so long to get replacements?
What you already know and what I have found out I hope will shed some light on this issue. When WCC fielded the Actia IPs, WCC Service put a number of IPs in the parts system, for this conversation, let's say a couple hundred. Actia has the capability of repairing the IPs and returning them to service. It was planned that IPs would be swapped in and out of this pool and everything would flow normally with replacements being made available on a next-day ship schedule.

The service process on the IPs requires that the replacement be hard coded with the mileage of the defective IP. This takes one additional step since only the refurbishing facility can encode the IPs with the correct mileage. What was happening to the pool of IPs was Murphy's Law. What could go wrong was in fact going wrong and that's why there have been excessive delays in getting replacement IPs.

The problems were that some service centers were not returning the IPs for service to the proper facility, delaying the forwarding of the IP to the proper service center. Some IPs were being damaged by service centers in the replacement process therefore rendering them unserviceable and forcing the IP to be scrapped. Over time this caused the IP pool to dwindle to the point where new IPs had to be obtained directly from Actia and this was causing a lot of problems since Actia were just cranking out enough IPs to satisfy new builds.

At this time WCC has ordered and has effectively doubled the IPs in the pipeline and customers are getting their IPs in a more timely manner. There are also IPs with different part numbers so they are not all the same and the IP needs to be matched before installation. It looks like the issue of substantially delayed IPs will be shortened considerably with the new allocation of replacement IPs.

What about that air horn rain cap obstruction device, is it killing my normal air flow?
WCC has said that the rain caps that are being fitted to the air horn by Newmar are effectively the best thing to counter the problems that Newmar and other manufacturers were having with water ingestion. The rain cap covers the 9 inch horn opening to some degree however the device apparently works well in that it keeps the water out, the air filter dry and the sensor (MAF) in the airbox serviceable. The pipe that is output from the airbox to the air intake of the engine is 4 inches. Whatever is happening to the plumbing prior to the air filter by the rain cap is in no way obstructing the air flow that is required by the engine. There's plenty of air being delivered to the engine.

It was also remarked that the Newmar rain cap is so successful that other manufacturers may also use either the same device or something very close to it. Stating the obvious, some manufacturers do not have a water ingestion problem like my MH for instance so a rain cap is not necessary on my motorhome.

What about the Vent Kit, what's up with that?
The vent kit has so far been fitted to a very limited amount of motorhomes requiring additional cooling. In every instance where the vent kit has been installed it has resolved repetitive overheating spark plug wire problem. The "majority" of these kits are being installed on West Coast vehicles that negotiate mountains and that pull at or close to the GCWR in high engine effort scenarios at low forward vehicle speeds. Other MHs that display this problem present obstructed grill openings with either bug screens or tight mesh grills. There are no steadfast hard rules on what constitutes a poor OEM grill design however open grill work seems to offer better air flow. Some owners have installed aftermarket window mesh type bug screens and made problems for themselves.

If you take your motorhome and load the thing up close to its GCWR and run it up a mountain and at very slow speeds you may in fact take a perfectly trouble free motorhome and make problems for yourself. Be proactive and try to remain under both your GVW and your GCWR. That's what the ratings are for. Know your weights. If you need to go up a mountain go ahead but be your own best friend know your limits and take it easy.

Now I don't mean baby the motorhome but what is being observed it that some owners have run their coaches straight up a mountain, heavily laden, at high engine revolutions and at low forward speeds. Repeated spark plug wire and manifold work has not helped these people. They keep breaking their motorhomes. The vent kit was proactively introduced as a device that has so far worked satisfactorily in resolving a "repeated" problem.

The vent kits are not intended to be a fitted to the majority of motorhomes on the road. Under most of the operating environments where we normally use our motorhomes, the vent kit is not required and would not help mitigate or resolve a problem that does not exist.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2005, 06:00 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I recently was in touch with my contacts at Workhorse and on your behalf I asked and received answers for the following issues that was of concern to the members here in the WCMC Forum.

What about those Actia Instrument Panels and why has it taken so long to get replacements?
What you already know and what I have found out I hope will shed some light on this issue. When WCC fielded the Actia IPs, WCC Service put a number of IPs in the parts system, for this conversation, let's say a couple hundred. Actia has the capability of repairing the IPs and returning them to service. It was planned that IPs would be swapped in and out of this pool and everything would flow normally with replacements being made available on a next-day ship schedule.

The service process on the IPs requires that the replacement be hard coded with the mileage of the defective IP. This takes one additional step since only the refurbishing facility can encode the IPs with the correct mileage. What was happening to the pool of IPs was Murphy's Law. What could go wrong was in fact going wrong and that's why there have been excessive delays in getting replacement IPs.

The problems were that some service centers were not returning the IPs for service to the proper facility, delaying the forwarding of the IP to the proper service center. Some IPs were being damaged by service centers in the replacement process therefore rendering them unserviceable and forcing the IP to be scrapped. Over time this caused the IP pool to dwindle to the point where new IPs had to be obtained directly from Actia and this was causing a lot of problems since Actia were just cranking out enough IPs to satisfy new builds.

At this time WCC has ordered and has effectively doubled the IPs in the pipeline and customers are getting their IPs in a more timely manner. There are also IPs with different part numbers so they are not all the same and the IP needs to be matched before installation. It looks like the issue of substantially delayed IPs will be shortened considerably with the new allocation of replacement IPs.

What about that air horn rain cap obstruction device, is it killing my normal air flow?
WCC has said that the rain caps that are being fitted to the air horn by Newmar are effectively the best thing to counter the problems that Newmar and other manufacturers were having with water ingestion. The rain cap covers the 9 inch horn opening to some degree however the device apparently works well in that it keeps the water out, the air filter dry and the sensor (MAF) in the airbox serviceable. The pipe that is output from the airbox to the air intake of the engine is 4 inches. Whatever is happening to the plumbing prior to the air filter by the rain cap is in no way obstructing the air flow that is required by the engine. There's plenty of air being delivered to the engine.

It was also remarked that the Newmar rain cap is so successful that other manufacturers may also use either the same device or something very close to it. Stating the obvious, some manufacturers do not have a water ingestion problem like my MH for instance so a rain cap is not necessary on my motorhome.

What about the Vent Kit, what's up with that?
The vent kit has so far been fitted to a very limited amount of motorhomes requiring additional cooling. In every instance where the vent kit has been installed it has resolved repetitive overheating spark plug wire problem. The "majority" of these kits are being installed on West Coast vehicles that negotiate mountains and that pull at or close to the GCWR in high engine effort scenarios at low forward vehicle speeds. Other MHs that display this problem present obstructed grill openings with either bug screens or tight mesh grills. There are no steadfast hard rules on what constitutes a poor OEM grill design however open grill work seems to offer better air flow. Some owners have installed aftermarket window mesh type bug screens and made problems for themselves.

If you take your motorhome and load the thing up close to its GCWR and run it up a mountain and at very slow speeds you may in fact take a perfectly trouble free motorhome and make problems for yourself. Be proactive and try to remain under both your GVW and your GCWR. That's what the ratings are for. Know your weights. If you need to go up a mountain go ahead but be your own best friend know your limits and take it easy.

Now I don't mean baby the motorhome but what is being observed it that some owners have run their coaches straight up a mountain, heavily laden, at high engine revolutions and at low forward speeds. Repeated spark plug wire and manifold work has not helped these people. They keep breaking their motorhomes. The vent kit was proactively introduced as a device that has so far worked satisfactorily in resolving a "repeated" problem.

The vent kits are not intended to be a fitted to the majority of motorhomes on the road. Under most of the operating environments where we normally use our motorhomes, the vent kit is not required and would not help mitigate or resolve a problem that does not exist.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:13 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Driver, your willingness and ability to get some info on these matters is really appreciated. Ive got a "pretty good" dealer, they are willing, but often uninformed,or worse yet, sometimes missinformed, but with info from this board in hand I am gradually getting things taken care of. I have had the coach a few months over a year, and as I recently told them, "Your hamburgers ain't that good, Ive got to be on my way"..... Thanks again...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:37 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I mentioned in another post, I also really appreciate what you do for us. I hope those at the top of the Workhorse food chain also appreciate what your doing and make sure your getting full support and timely information. Being open and honest with customers is never a bad thing and at the-end-of-the-day will assure a more loyal customer base. Also it will minimize negative comments on this and the hugely popular RV.com web sites. potential new RV buyers don't have to read too many negative things about Workhorse before they decide to purchase a Ford chassis. Too bad for them, but true.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver, good info on the IP. Question? my IP was replaced around 8,000 miles and about 1 1/2 years of service. With the number of IP's going bad even with a replacement can WH owners expect a second-third or fourth replaced IP over the life of the motorhome. I can only guess replacing the IP out of pocket would be somewhat costly.
Father Mulcahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:34 PM   #6

Driver,
Perhaps you could take this one step further and inform all Workhorse Chassis Owners of the rally in April in Branson MO, where Chris Christy from Workhorse will be in attendance. He will, as in the past, answer questions, provide information on changes and what is coming down in the future.
Folks who wish to attend can download the rally registration form from the Workhorse Website, click on the RV Link and Newsletters (volume 4).
This is also an opportunity for owners to talk with one another, share information and gain insight about the chassis.
Bob Beitler
(Greyhound)
President, WCMC
PS. I am on my second Workhorse. I now drive a Adventurer on the W24 and just love it.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greyhound:
Driver,
Perhaps you could take this one step further and inform all Workhorse Chassis Owners of the rally in April in Branson MO, where Chris Christy from Workhorse will be in attendance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Greyhound, I think you just did a pretty good job doing that I recon!

Please feel to post all the details about the Rally, I'm sure there are folks here that are very interested.

If you want to see the man in person, come to Branson.