Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was reading a disussion on another forum about handling in general. Most were talking about steersafe and then it turned to sway bars and WorkHorse chassis. Just wondered again - if thats the case - why doesn't WorkHorse do this as a standard item?

See discussion below.............

For Workhorse Chasis' you must get front and rear sway bars to improve the handling. This is a must before installing anything else... The sway bars are money well spent (about 2 grand). Workhorse make great chasis', but they skimped on the overall quality and passed the cost to the owners (sucks for us). Don't be fooled into buying Steer Safe or Safety T Plus before getting sways bars... Sway bars will answers all your concerns....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was reading a disussion on another forum about handling in general. Most were talking about steersafe and then it turned to sway bars and WorkHorse chassis. Just wondered again - if thats the case - why doesn't WorkHorse do this as a standard item?

See discussion below.............

For Workhorse Chasis' you must get front and rear sway bars to improve the handling. This is a must before installing anything else... The sway bars are money well spent (about 2 grand). Workhorse make great chasis', but they skimped on the overall quality and passed the cost to the owners (sucks for us). Don't be fooled into buying Steer Safe or Safety T Plus before getting sways bars... Sway bars will answers all your concerns....
Old 04-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocket Heart:.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This appears to be only one person's opinion and it is not a hard rule. There are hundreds of owners out there that do not run aftermarket suspension additions and they appear to be pleased with their motorhomes.

Suspension products are only brought on-line when a condition exists that the owner wants to improve upon. There is nothing cheap about a Workhorse chassis. If you were fortunate enough to buy an SSC Workhorse Chassis or a W25.5 you would have had a rear track bar as standard equipment.

Suspension add on products cost money and most OEMs are not willing to buy any additional SPIDs that will inflate the MSRP.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #4

I think these type statement are from the sellers of these type of add-ons.

I don't have or need any of these aftermarket suspension bars on our unit.

DriVer....did Workhorse actually SELL a SSC Workhorse chassis? I heard they had a display of one, and nobody bought one.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
A lot depends on the box builder.. A 242" chassis stretched to 262" and a 12' tall box with poor weight distribution will cause all kinds of problems.

I sell Trac Bars and tell my customers to get the rig weighed so the tires can be inflated properly, get the front end aligned(caster shims may be needed), put the coach on a diet and them come see me.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVerriVer....did Workhorse actually SELL a SSC Workhorse chassis? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>FRRVer, Yes they did! Coachmen has a number of these units on the road and I have seen them at the Tampa RV SuperShow over the past couple of years. The SSC option was installed on a W22 BTW.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 36ft. dolphin on a w22 rides and drives great. I beleive a lot of it is people think these things should drive like their car.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #8

Some RV owners buy things they NEED.

Some buy things because the other guy did and now they think they NEED it.

Some will drive and see if they realy NEED to upgrade or modify the chassis.

I did add Steer Safe to my W-20 as I did my P-32 MH's in the past. My choice was after driving several 1000 miles before making the changes. I suggest you do the same.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:07 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After reading all the posts, I have come to the conclusion we are very fortunate to have our Chieftain.
This 02 W-22, was stretched to a 266" wheel base. I have had many RV's over the years but never had one that rides and drives like ours. It is just great to drive.
The only chassic improvements I added was a rear swaybar, steering stablizer, and Koni's.
While on a trip to the midwest I had it weighed and still had 1480# I could, sorry, wife could, have added to the coach. We're in heaven!!
By the way, it's the same coach as Petro has except a year older.

Later,
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The 39T is a nice floorplan. Almost the same as the newer 38R. How did you arrive at 1480# CCC remaining??

22,000 - actual weighed weight = 1480#??

I have a friend that has a 2003 39 Chieftain. They were in bed sleeping and it was the middle of the night. One of the rear duals blow directly below the bed. He said it sounded like a bomb going off. This was in 2007 so the tires were &gt;4 years old and they had &gt;60+k miles on them. He replace all rear tires. He bought the Chieftain new.

Below is a photo of us parked side by side.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My W-22 rides like a dream compared to the trucks that I drive at work. I had Redlands Truck & RV do a front end align and we did a 4 corner weigh-in. We carry pretty much everything we need in the MH and I still had almost 1300#'s left to GVWR. I had to swap a few things side to side in the rear to even the load and have added a few more things, but I know I have at least 1000#s to play with. I have not added anything to my chassis to date and only plan to do an Ultrapower upgrade at this time.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep TomN, looks just like our baby!! Great picture!!

Not sure of the exact numbers right off, weigh slip is in RV but I do know the W-22 numbers changed due to the chassic stretch.

Hey Chuck, hope all is well, you will like the Ultrapower!!

Later all,

David
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daysu47:
Hey Chuck, hope all is well, you will like the Ultrapower!!

Later all,

David </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Life is good!
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote