Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #99

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brake excuses

The people that believe Work Horse's excuseses will probably in time blame it on the government too! They already say it was our fault!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2010, 04:51 AM   #100

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have posted this on another site and wanted to share it with other Workhorse owners.
I think it would be a good idea that when and if the recall ever takes place that Workhorse (as a good will gesture) bundle the brake fix as a package, calipers, pads, rotors, and do a overhaul of the brakes and send us on a merry way. This would certainly repair the damage that Workhorse is recieving from this debacle.
Would it be expensive, absolutely, but I am sure the bean counters and lawyers could figure out a way of creating a tax write off for the corporation.
I now stand by to recieve a muti gun broadside from the ambassadors.....

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bud View Post
I now stand by to recieve a muti gun broadside from the ambassadors.....
Captain Bud: I'm sorry to disappoint you, but you are not going to be criticized by me for posting your suggestion. Good luck getting that idea accomplished.

FYI, I have read your frequent criticism of "us" on the other sites, and can only say that I'm sorry you seem to believe we are so biased. You are entitled to your opinion, but that does not make it so...
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I now stand by to receive a muti gun broadside from the ambassadors.....
Set Condition "XRAY" - No need to go to GQ!

Last December at the RVIA Show in Louisville I spoke with Alan the National Service Director about this very same topic.

What I would have hoped for at the end of the day is that when an owner departs the service center that they should have as close to brand new brakes as humanly possible. New calipers, hoses, resurfaced or new rotors, new pads, sensors as required, flush brake fluid, wheel seals and gaskets, gear oil and the not to be omitted shop supplies and "Labor."

What I spoke about was getting a package price which would make a complete makeover affordable to most owners. I believe that this would be something that I would endorse and I hope might get some traction from Workhorse.

Regardless, when the recall is being done, "ANY" components that are collaterally damaged will be replaced free of charge so those components would be immediately replaced.

Going on 24 months ago I had all my brake components replaced. Why should I throw those away and insist on new components throughout when they do the recall? All my equipment is relatively new. What would I gain with all new parts? There are also a number of people here who have received new Interim (other than calipers) parts and why would we want to throw those out for new parts?

What I would opt for would be perhaps just the front pads and I would be willing to pay for those. It's not hard to see that a 1 size fits all solution would not in my opinion be a good use of materials or money.

Owners after 10 years of ownership will at the end of the day drive away with 4 new calipers. I see that as a something good. Whether anyone can attribute the wear and tear on those brake parts over the same 10 years as a defect remains to be seen "especially" if a the vehicle has not exhibited any brake problems.

This recall is going to resolve the problem by replacing the calipers and those other parts that are damaged. Whether or not owners can expect all free collateral brake components and labor is something that I don't believe most reasonable people will expect.

Batten the hatches and set condition ZULU I expect some rough weather ahead!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #103

Workhorse Chassis Owner
LOL! These replies are beginning to sound like "good cop"/bad cop." Now Ed how could anyone suspect a WH ambassador of being biased? Now Mike, we all know that when this recall is being executed that the interaction between the WH service centers and the customer is going to be a battleground as to what caused the collateral damage.
I don't want to see the customer coming to the WH service center as a cash cow to spend a lot of money "while we have it apart" syndrome. Perhaps a discount or somethging a long those lines would go far in placating we the owners who have endured years of apprehension. Of course when I am having mine done (whenever that time comes) I will expend whatever funds necessary to do it right.
As we speak, my mileage is at 38,000+ miles and I feel that I should be getting a brake inspection and necessary repairs, due to this recall being pushed further away will force me into expending funds unnecassarily. I hope that you can see the quandry it puts me in, and I imagine many other owners. So to me, time is of an essence, If I seem to become sarcastic or short with the messengers (ambassadors) put your selves in the average RV owner shoes.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 05-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #104

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
If I seem to become sarcastic or short with the messengers (ambassadors) put your selves in the average RV owner shoes.
Very true
Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
As we speak, my mileage is at 38,000+ miles and I feel that I should be getting a brake inspection and necessary repairs, due to this recall being pushed further away will force me into expending funds unnecassarily..
Bud, That's up to you. IF you have a problem bring it to the service center and have it fixed. There should not be a charge. If on the other hand there isn't a problem and you just want someone to look at your brakes, I'm sure that you would do just as good of a job at looking at something. If it isn't broke why pay someone to tell you that it ain't broke....

IF for no other reason and IF it does cost you a hour of labor for your peace of mind, would that not be worth it to you? I don't care who or who does not pay - just ask yourself am I going to be better off if I have the brakes looked at. That's it, it's a simple Q&A.

About collateral damage and interpretation, I am hoping that your experience at the service center will be positive. Have them keep the parts and ask for an explanation. If you think you're being hosed, call me. I have always been willing to help you. Have I not?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #106

Quote:
LOL! These replies are beginning to sound like "good cop"/bad cop." Now Ed how could anyone suspect a WH ambassador of being biased?
your sarcasism is duly noted.

I'll not be responding to any more of your "trolling" tactics.

Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #107

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
your sarcasism is duly noted.

I'll not be responding to any more of your "trolling" tactics.

Ed
Thank you Ed, the respite will be very much appreciated....

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 05-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #108

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Bud, That's up to you. IF you have a problem bring it to the service center and have it fixed. There should not be a charge. If on the other hand there isn't a problem and you just want someone to look at your brakes, I'm sure that you would do just as good of a job at looking at something. If it isn't broke why pay someone to tell you that it ain't broke....

IF for no other reason and IF it does cost you a hour of labor for your peace of mind, would that not be worth it to you? I don't care who or who does not pay - just ask yourself am I going to be better off if I have the brakes looked at. That's it, it's a simple Q&A.

About collateral damage and interpretation, I am hoping that your experience at the service center will be positive. Have them keep the parts and ask for an explanation. If you think you're being hosed, call me. I have always been willing to help you. Have I not?
Mike, you have helped me more than anyone I know in the RV world. I don't want to shoot the messenger, however the frustration factor keeps growing day by day. After this is over and done you and I have to get together again and go over what transpired.
When I was looking at class As you were super in advising me on what to look for and what you recommended regarding chassis and coach builders.
Believe me, I love the MH in all respects including the chassis. At my age I don't need these problems.
All I want is this problem to be resolved in a timely fashion and have a feeling of safety.
The ball is sitting in Workhorse's court, they can either step up and do what's right, or get out of the game.
BTW Your bench doesn't impress me....

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 05-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #109

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
#1)
REMINDER: If and when customers and dealers do get together on this fix it will be of a much greater importance to RATE YOUR DEALER in his handling of this matter. The more input the better for all involved.

#2)
Any service and or parts manager responsible for the bottom line of his or her department should already be working on if not already completed, a "Workhorse-Goodwill Relationship-Brake System Special".
Any general manager/owner that is not demanding this from his managers I doubt has any concern of our best interest in mind. Not to mention his loss of potential presold labor and parts.
Anyone who has worked at the dealership level can tell you parts ordered ahead on stock orders and packaged flat rated labor rates can be bundled ahead of time and offered with reduced prices due to lower costs on their part. Don't believe this..? Never received a flyer in the mail from the people you bought your last car from advertising a"SPECIAL"?

Let's all start by contacting our dealers ahead of time and asking what the costs will be "If" one needs non-covered items. Any advance pricing information I believe could be noted in the RATE YOUR DEALER area or a sticky thread in this forum...

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #110

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would say Workhorse gets a well discounted labor price from the svc cntrs so they will make their profits from additional work they can convince the owners that they need. Some shops will be better or worse than others. Beware of this. and hope WH will consider that a sticking brake will wear the pads down faster and heat and/ groove the rotors faster. If one is bad on an axle, they all know that both sides should be done and I would think that should be covered.
Whenever I had my chassis in for warranty work , every single time, K&C RV dinged me for $100 or $150. My 2 choices were to pay it or leave it and hire a lawyer. However when I took it another WH svc cntr, Burt Chevrolet, they never once even tried to get me to pay for any thing.
So when this gets underway, I agree, 'rating your shop' will help other owners and help the good shops.
I just hope for you guys sake, that you don't have to wait months just until they will allow you to bring it in to their property and park it.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
BTW Your bench doesn't impress me....
I'm not sure what you mean by "My bench?" It's just lil' ol me out here!
Old 05-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #112

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "My bench?" It's just lil' ol me out here!
Gee, I'm sorry, I thought that there were multiple Ambassadors and you were the head Guru.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy