Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 02:42 PM   #1

Are buyers still interested in workhorse rv's?

Hi,

We will be selling our workhorse UFO in the next 15 months.

Is there still a market for workhorse or are folks all looking for Ford?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 03:08 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis with Allison Transmission are still popular if well maintained and recall work was done.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:20 PM   #3

I'd say that the early 90 - early 2000s are the highest in demand rigs.

They are priced very reasonable and far simpler to maintain and learn about their systems.

What I predict is a coming of COVID dumps. There are going to be droves of folks who rushed into buying and once things settle (and they will) they'll be scratching their heads at the rig sitting and not being able to use it (back to work) or outta work and the monthly cost of keeping it.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:32 PM   #4

I would tend to say yes, with Covid camping craze going on, they are selling at insane prices. In the last few months I have seen at least 3-4 Safari Treks identical to mine (same model year, same floor plan) with 8.1L on P32 chassis sell for between $29,000 - $35,000. Almost all of which sold within a week of being listed, based on the ads some had less miles than mine, but none were as well updated (400 watt solar, pure sine wave inverter, new fridge, new carpet, new seating, ...) as mine was when I bought it in 2016 for $20,500 (asking at the time was $25,000.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:54 PM   #5

Thanks folks,

That's great to know.

We absolutely love this coach but we have decided to down size considerably.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:42 PM   #6

I bought mine two years ago and was specifically looking for a Workhorse. I guess there are bound to be some that want only Ford, and I suppose their numbers will grow with time, but I think Workhorse chassis still have their fans.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:00 AM   #7

I personally ONLY wanted a workhorse chassis mostly due to transmission always having 1 more gear than the ford chassis, was shopping post 2006 workhorse as they are all 6 speed.

But also my impression was the actual chassis was more robust, the rails a bit stronger.

So whether on a dealer lot or on a rv ad, the first thing was what chassis, depending on the year and then exterior/striping/decals was next, as generally the wear and tear inside is not high, just carpet condition the next thing.

As they say, BUY the CHASSIS first, but diesel chassis are not be always stronger/better than a workhorse, it is relative to length/house part too.

I got the W24 so the 'strongest' but as all chassis do it twist more than you wish when leveling on uneven ground and/or when levelers extended high - not a monocoque chassis or F1 carbon fiber chassis you know, them steel I beams BEND !!
Old 07-28-2021, 05:57 AM   #8

Thanks all,

Hopefully the coach goes to someone who really likes it.

Tags
rvs, workhorse