Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #1

My interpretation of another thread is there is a shortage of dealerships either not Workhorse certified or willing to work on Workhorse motorhome chassis? Did I miss something? What is the story? I am gathering data for next motorhome and interested in knowing service availability. Bad enough having trouble; compounded if there is not a good, comprehensive service network.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #2

My interpretation of another thread is there is a shortage of dealerships either not Workhorse certified or willing to work on Workhorse motorhome chassis? Did I miss something? What is the story? I am gathering data for next motorhome and interested in knowing service availability. Bad enough having trouble; compounded if there is not a good, comprehensive service network.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What is the story? I am gathering data for next motorhome and interested in knowing service availability. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Currently there are over 500 Authorized Service Centers (ASC) in the US and Canada. Many states have quite a few, some only a few. They are not all equally staffed, and parts inventory is not always what most of us think it "should be". All are independant businesses who have contractually agreed to work on WCC chassis and / or do warranty reimbursed work for WCC(in spite of what you may have read). Since these repair facilities are not owned by WCC, there is a system in place to allow customer feedback directly to WCC about your service experience. This "Rate this Dealer" function is on the WCC website, and they use the info provided by owners to recognize the good and weed out the bad. Therefore, the dealer or ASC network expands and contracts based on customer feedback.

There is a 24/7/365 road service toll free number available to all owners. Even if you are out of warranty, they will assist you in finding the nearest ASC from wherever you happen to be. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:23 AM   #4

edgray is there any way we could see the info on shops before we go to them. Some of us have a long way to go to find a shop and not all of the shops are listed at "find a rv service center". The closest one to me is about 110 miles and will not return my calls and I can't even get to talk to some one to set up an appointment.
Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:42 AM   #5

CHUCK: I'm not aware of any way to "review" an ASC before going, UNLESS they have their own website, which many do. Once you have chosen a potential ASC to visit, perhaps a google search by shop name will produce a web address. For example, I know Redlands and Brazel's both have excellant websites, as do "most" auto dealerships which are often WCC shops as well.

Regarding the ASC from which you can't even get a return call, I encourage you to use the WCC website's "Rate this Dealer" function to let WCC know about this dealer's poor performance. I can assure you those inputs ARE taken seriously by WCC National Service Director, Alan Stegich.

From the most recent list I have, here are the three ASC in OK:

Carter Chevrolet Agency, Inc. 215 W. Oklahoma Ave Okarche OK 73762 (405) 263-7252

City Chevrolet 5000 W. Reno Oklahoma City OK 73127 (405)947-8711

Speedway Chevrolet 2301 N Aspen Ave. Broken Arrow OK 74012 (918)258-8000

I have personal experience at Speedway Chev, and have gotten good reports from others as well. Their service manager is Barry Bowles, if you want to contact them.

Hope this helps, ED
Old 05-18-2008, 02:36 AM   #6

RoadRohrer, my answer to your first question is based on my first hand experience. There IS a severe shortage of WCC service centers.

We bought a new 2000 Damon Intruder on a Ford chassis in Dec. 2000. The one and only problem with the chassis (in six years and 43,000 miles) was an improperly routed ABS cable which was cut by the brake rotor. I called Ford help line, they said it was OK for me to fix it. I went 7 miles to my Ford dealer, ordered the part, installed it myself, sent the bill to Ford M/H chassis, and received a check for the full amount, tax included.

I do 99% of my own service, only going to a WCC dealer for warranty work, and to a reliable truck service for stuff I just can't handle, like 22.5" tires.

Our next new Damon Intruder (2006, W22, bought in Oct. 2006), was ready for delivery. I noticed the engine oil filler cap was missing. The tech who was doing the "walk through" said, "you don't need one of those anyway". I pointed to the only other WCC chassis on the lot and asked if we could take a cap from that one. He said, "it won't fit it is a different model". When he went away I went over and took the cap which fit perfectly. He shrugged and walked away when I told him.

In the first 8,000 miles (in six months) of use of the WCC, we have had three failures under warranty. These were fixed by WCC, with a only moderate inconvenience to us.

Now, for the second time, the Actia dash panel is glitching, and I am looking at very rusty fluid pipes under the M/H. The chassis is still in warranty. I called WCC tech service, not the road service line, the tech said, "we don't fix rust, why don't you wait until the pipes start weeping fluid?". He also said, quote, "I despise forums, they only express opinions". I pointed out to him that there were some very knowledgeable members on this forum who provide correct and valuable information.

We were warned that WCC service was limited, but couldn't get this coach locally on a Ford chassis. Our dealer is now stocking only Ford chassis. Please note that we find the WCC chassis to be excellent and a pleasure to use, but the fun of having it is greatly exacerbated by the service problems.

Our bottom line is there is going to be no significant improvement in WCC service during my lifespan. I am 68 and plan that this is my last M/H. It appears the fuel prices are going to cause a large reduction in sales of M/H chassis, which is not going to result in an expansion of WCC service. It does not appear likely that sporadic input to WCC from owners regarding quality of service by individual service centers will cause any useful improvement.

(2nd one, 1st was a 2000 - FORDFORDFORD)
obbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:16 AM   #7

Thank you for your experience. Though I wanted a Workhorse chassis, my last motorhome (2006 HR Admiral) was on a Ford chassis. And I was surprisingly pleased. In the 14,000 miles I had there was never a chassis problem. SO I guess if no problems the whole discussion is moot. However, they are mechanical animals. BTW, I am jealous of you and the others who can do so much of the work yourself. I have a major disconnect from the brain which understands what needs to be done to the hands which must do the work.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:36 AM   #8

Good Luck. DIY is a mixed blessing. I do a lot of hard work that might be done by smarter people who have the brains to do it with money. We live near a lake and a marina where they call a hundred dollar bill a "Boat Buck".

Looking back at my rusty pipe phone call episode with WCC, the proper reply to my request would be "Yes, sir, give us your address and we will ship the defective parts at no charge by overnight service". That's exactly what Banks Power Pack did. Also Fantastic Fan. Also Atwood propane furnace.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:10 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That's exactly what Banks Power Pack did. Also Fantastic Fan. Also Atwood propane furnace. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
OBBM: Please clarify. Are you saying these companies all provided replacements for parts which had not failed? ED
Old 05-18-2008, 05:43 AM   #10

Most of them. Fantastic sent me parts to modify a ceiling fan for reverse rotation and slower speed for more winter warmth. Years out of warranty, and working perfectly. Atwood sent a spare for the furnace 12 v relay in case of failure, out of warranty, still have it. Another vent company sent two new spare fan motors in case of failure for a fan manufactured by a competitor. I still have those, the fan never failed. Readybrake replaced all the parts on the tow car just in case, working perfectly, out of warranty, just for the asking. Winegard has sent me spares just for the asking. Banks there was a question of fit, so they sent a part just in case. The damaged Ford part was made serviceable by me, but they replaced it and never asked for the old one back. All the above was totally free.

If I can remember my other instances of companies who stand behind their product, I will fill you in.

As far as I am concerned, the fluid pipes rusting IS A FAILURE, and a dangerous one at that. They are deeply pitted. If I wait for a failure, it could result in my demise. In the meantime, I am afraid to touch them, as "It might void your warranty".

Just kidding there, if they get closer to the point of catastrophic failure, I will have high quality hoses covered in braided stainless made, and replace the rusty stuff myself. There is no sense in sacrificing really expensive components just to "wait and see if it fails".

Old 05-18-2008, 06:06 AM   #11

Thank you. I had no idea that so many companies are willing to provide free parts for things that "might" go bad. Apparently some of these companies even provide parts for their competitor's non-failed parts. You must be a most convincing caller.

I too have had excellent customer service and free replacement parts from Fantastic vent, Blue Ox, and a few other companies after I had a problem with their stuff. I just never thought about calling for replacements before things broke.

I think I'm gonna call Saturn to see if I can get a free radiator hose, 'cause I'm afraid mine might fail while the toad is pushing the MH, since I can't afford to run the 8.1L any more. ED
Old 05-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back on the original question.

The only serious WH problem I had was the junk Monroe shocks. Fortunately my coach is near a first class WH service center - Redlands.

On the road, I have had a few minor problems. One was fixed at a GM car dealership. A couple at WH facilities. Certainly, more WH service centers would be great.

So far I guess I have been fortunate not to have had so many of the problems reported here.

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:10 AM   #13

I think I see you are from Louisiana. We spend a lot of time around Eunice, where our son teaches at LSUE. We get some good things there.