Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #1

auto park (autopark) on is replacing the sensor a good place to start

Our 2000 Winnebago Brave has the auto park light on right now. We've read through numerous posts on this website and are curious if replacing the sensor is the best place to start? A couple of times after putting it in park, it would shift back into drive, but you couldn't hear that sound of the cable moving the auto park brake off. Husband got under the rv to see what was moving and that's when he could see the cable that was involved in the auto park system. Had to turn everything off, let it sit, then start it up again to drive again. We just don't want to rely on it maybe seizing up on us when we drive down the road. So, sensor? Cable? If we replace these items, is this one of those deals where we have to take it in to get the light reset or will it go off if problem is corrected automatically?

Thanks in advance for all your wonderful feedback! You are all amazing here!
2ndwindranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #2

Ha, just viewed the forum sticky, theres a whole thread I miseed! Auto Park library! My husband and I will review this a bit further. Sorry for any double posts!
Old 07-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A previous coach had APB - there were two pressure switches recommended to carry as spares and a common failure point. I replaced one once as a fix to a problem. I think they vary with the year/model of APB - suggest you watch for same/similar in your research.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Not sure what is meant by the sensor, but first replace the green or brown pressure sw. You'll need to carry a spare on board anyway, so it's not a waste of time or money.
Don't drive it with the warning light on as you might be bursting this sw. and thereby losing all the fluid. This will lock the brake and create more problems for you. I could go a lot further, but you should replace the sw. mentioned first and then if further assistance is needed, we have an expert amongst us, known as the oldusedbear and the author of the auto park library as well, who will be more than glad to help.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
... we have an expert amongst us, known as the oldusedbear and the author of the auto park library as well, who will be more than glad to help.
Thanks for the info! We are going to try the RGS as we are in touch with Roger via the auto park library since I found that after I posted this question. He replied right away with a check list for us to go through which we did....

Will definitely report back our progress!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Auto Park wont release

Auto Park locked on, thankfully in driveway at home. Two years ago completely rebuilt. Remembered Oldusedbears advice, and had spare RGS switch. Installed it and VOILA brakes worked again. Just ordered new spare from Amazon.com, Symptoms : Park brake locked on, auto park light lit, all fuses were OK, swapped RGS and good to go.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Bird View Post
Auto Park locked on, thankfully in driveway at home. Two years ago completely rebuilt. Remembered Oldusedbears advice, and had spare RGS switch. Installed it and VOILA brakes worked again. Just ordered new spare from Amazon.com, Symptoms : Park brake locked on, auto park light lit, all fuses were OK, swapped RGS and good to go.
Good for you, but let me ask, was not the AP warning light on at sometime prior to this malfunction? Usually the RGS shorts out, turning the warning light on and sending the pressure out of sight. The pump motor's thermal overload will usually open and close intermittently with the heat buildup, until the RGS finally bursts with this high pressure fatigue, thereby leaking and depleting the fluid before the brake finally and fully actuates. This could happen pretty quick or take some time, depending on a lot of factors, but I would think there would be some prior indication.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
NO previous warning light. No leaks at pump or RGS, just ordered a spare replacement RGS from Amazon. Hope it is isolated incident,,, Just remembered, happened during removal and replacement of both coach batteries which went bad AGAIN, ( Walmart )
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #9

I have the auto park on my 96 pace arrow vision. The light has been on since I bought this at the end of may. Now im thinking maybe I should fix it. I just have a few questions 1. What is a auto park? 2. Do I need it. 3. How does it work? I have never heard of anything like this before.
Brian313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian313 View Post
I have the auto park on my 96 pace arrow vision. The light has been on since I bought this at the end of may. Now im thinking maybe I should fix it. I just have a few questions 1. What is a auto park? 2. Do I need it. 3. How does it work? I have never heard of anything like this before.
Yes you need it - the coach will roll when parked on a slight hill. There isn't a parking prong on the xmision - Auto Apply Park (AutoPark) is what holds the RV in place when parked.
You need to understand the system and know what to watch out for. When it works it works right. If you know what to watch for you can ID issues and fix them prior to a failure.
OMEY.com has a write-up and info on how to contact the Autopark library - when you have learned a little call Oldusedbear (Rodger) at the Autopark library and he will walk you through a system check (it is all free).
Oemy's Web Site - J71 Autopark
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Bird View Post
NO previous warning light. No leaks at pump or RGS, just ordered a spare replacement RGS from Amazon. Hope it is isolated incident,,, Just remembered, happened during removal and replacement of both coach batteries which went bad AGAIN, ( Walmart )
Then insure that the light does in fact work. Is it on when it should be and maybe two of them in two locations on the dash For instance, when in park with the ignition on?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #12

Quote:
For beginner's, are you sure that you have AP and is associated with the light you speak of? What length coach do you have without asking it's GVWR? Usually they came without, if under 15K lbs.
Will the coach hold it's own on a slope? Do you have a manual parking brake handle of foot pedal in addition to the suspected AP?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
For beginner's, are you sure that you have AP and is associated with the light you speak of? What length coach do you have without asking it's GVWR? Usually they came without, if under 15K lbs.
Will the coach hold it's own on a slope? Do you have a manual parking brake handle of foot pedal in addition to the suspected AP?
Its a 37' 20k coach. It has a regular foot pedal parking brake. If I park it on a slope and use just the parking brake it will not stay if I pit the trans in park it will stay. There is also a foot switch what I thought was for the high beams but it wasn't. I have a red auto park light that is on my dash that has a piece of tape over it (previous owners).
Brian313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Its a 37' 20k coach. It has a regular foot pedal parking brake. If I park it on a slope and use just the parking brake it will not stay if I pit the trans in park it will stay. There is also a foot switch what I thought was for the high beams but it wasn't. I have a red auto park light that is on my dash that has a piece of tape over it (previous owners).
So you have the J71 Version II. Read up on OMEY's then call Oldusedbear.
Version II has the pump and reservoir located under the coach, on the passenger side of the transmission and slightly aft - - up against the right hand frame rail. The reservoir can be seen thru a cutout in the metal box that shields it and the other AutoPark goodies. We've attached a picture of the reservoir. If you have this reservoir, AND a foot applied parking brake pedal, you have a Version II.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote