Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2022, 08:02 PM   #1

Auto Park coming on in Reverse

Hey gang , I have a new to me 98 Dolphin 36' and I am having a problem with "Auto Park " coming on when I shift from Drive to Reverse . It will shift from Drive to Neutral ok but even just the slightest movement from Neutral to Reverse "Auto Park " engages . Seems like a switch problem or a adjustment issue. Possible problem with PRNDL Switch on Trans . What switch tells "Auto Park " to come on ? Need some help please .
Thanks in advance Mark
Spitz919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2022, 09:20 PM   #2

I had a similar problem with a '94 Bounder and I spent hours trying to figure out the problem. It wasn't until I changed the hydraulic valve that controlled the brake assy that it started working correctly.

Also, there was a 20 foot long wire cable that went from the shift lever all the way back to the valve and sometimes it would come loose where it was attached to the frame next to the driver so it would be out of sorts and intermittently apply the brake.

So check that assy next to the driver and see if your setup is similar to what mine was, than if it is, check the clamp on the cable, make sure it's not loose.

Oh, forgot, I've got an ad free RV repair blog that covers the Bendix type setup on a Freightliner chassis: AutoPark Brake

Here's what that loose cable looks like next to the driver, it's that black cable. It would get loose and wobbly:

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:12 PM   #3

Thanks Jim I will have a closer look and thanks for the link
Old 03-14-2022, 10:42 PM   #4

It’s probably the switch that’s accessible from underneath and on the steering column. It needs to be adjusted and lubed up.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #5

I think you are on to something JC . From my research there may be two PRNDL switches . One on trans and one on lower Str Column . Thanks , I'll let you know .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-03-15 102120.png
Views:	36
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	359285  
Old 03-16-2022, 06:56 AM   #6

We used to have a 96 P30 and when stopping after a trip the auto park would come on when shifting into reverse. I had to very carefully just get the shift lever into reverse and hope the auto park didn’t come on. I never did lube that switch up but remember reading that you had to get up there from below and just coat that switch up as much as you could. There’s got to be a way to adjust it.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:28 PM   #7

Thanks JC , My research seems to point toward that switch also . Once I can find it and try to lube/clean it . If that does not work I might rig up a Off/On toggle on the dash .
Old 03-17-2022, 06:31 AM   #8

You may have a switch on the trans also. My 2000 does and I am thinking it is the one that controls the auto park along with other functions. The '96 may be completely different.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:34 AM   #9

If We had kept our 96 I was going to rig up a switch on the dash. That way it’s ether on or off when YOU want it on or off.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:23 AM   #10

Ya JC , Switch is not accessible from inside the Cab or Engine compartment . The only way to get at it is from under coach . It looks like one of those parts they put on the ground and built a Motor Home on top of it . Failing that , plan B will be to run a separate switch to dash or plan C remove " Auto Park " all together and make sure foot brake is adjusted and working correctly .
Old 07-02-2022, 03:11 AM   #11

96suncruser auto brake comes on when put in reverse ok in drive by
Davewill is offline   Reply With Quote