Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #1

Auto Park Light - Coach doesn't have auto park!

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of selling my 2003 Damon Daybreak 2960 so I can upgrade and the Auto Park light is on. I have done a good bit of research and also talked to oldusedbear, the resident expert in auto park systems. My unit DOES NOT have auto park! I have a foot brake with a cable connected to a drum on the driveshaft which is my parking brake. Also, the unit has a parking pawl in the tranny.

My issue is the light has been on since I got the coach and I've ignored it after talking with Roger Haag. A potential buyer has told me an "expert" friend of his says there is a switch that controls whether my coach brakes on front and rear wheels or just front and its tripped. I have to say BS but I don't have any idea why the light would be on. I know the chassis was used for many different motorhomes and the instrument cluster is likely the same regardless. One additional piece of info, my brakes have been replaced within the last year rotors, calipers and pads. Front and rear. Light was on before it went in and when it came back from shop.

Any leads as to what would make this light come on? Any idea whether such a switch exists or not? Brakes seem to work fine to me, pedal is not right at top but very firm and stops perfectly.

Thanks
Bill
bvaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 09:21 AM   #2

If it like a car, with a cable activated brake, I would think there is a limit switch on the parking brake pedal or close to it to turn the light on when the brake is engaged. Have you looked for something like this? It might be below as well but I would think under the dash on or near the pedal assembly would be the logical location.

Not intimately familiar with your setup but I would start there.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Can you post your VIN and a picture of the dash with the light illuminated?
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra RV Tech View Post
Will do tomorrow.

And Vettenuts - there is a separate light for when the foot brake is engaged. Seems like it's an exclamation point, have to verify that tomorrow as well.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

You could just remove the bulb or disconnect the wiring.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #6

Yeah Frank, I should have already before trying to sell it!

Anyway UltraRVTech, here are the photos and VIN. The photo shows both the exclamation point for the foot operated brake engaged and the Auto Park light on. When foot brake not engaged, exclamation point not displayed. (Not sure why image and thumbnail are both showing)

VIN 5B4KP57G233356494
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	89906  
Old 04-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #7

searching for the autopark components

If this has an autopark system, I'd go looking for it from the opposite direction

I'd first suggest that IF there is an autopark, it has no mechanical or electrical OR hydraulic interaction with the regular service brakes.

Is there a brake drum on the driveshaft, right behind the tranny?

If so, is there a cable running from it? On an autopark system, there would be a cable running from it to what is called the "Lever Relay."

The lever relay will be one or two levers. IF you have a separate foot pedal or hand brake lever, that lever will have a cable going to the lever relay. Then, there will be a second cable that goes from the levers to the autopark actuator.

The actuator would normally be located on the passenger side frame rail, just aft of the tranny.

Soooo - - EITHER the hand lever or separate brake pedal can apply tension to a cable going to the lever relay, OR THE ACTUATOR can apply tension on a cable going to the lever relay. Regardless of which mechanism applies the tension, it will be transferred to the cable going to the parking brake, and thus apply the needed tension at the drum to keep the coach from rolling.

So I'd start first by locating the drum behind the tranny, and then trace the cables from that point.

Other than that, if none of the above components are present under the coach, then I'd look to see if somehow the parking brake was hooked up to the rear wheels as we've seen on older chassis.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #8

Thank you Roger
Old 04-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Bill,
Haven't talked with you in a while.Is your brake set up different than on my 2011 Daybreak.I read somewhere the other day about holding the brake petal in for a few seconds and that is suppose to set the park brake or is that totally a different thing.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:30 AM   #10

Yeah Billy, mine has a foot pedal on the far left under the dash just like a lot of older cars had before handbrake levers became popular.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra RV Tech View Post
Hi, Jon !
I was hoping you had a solution to "why" the AP light is on when the OP does not have the J71 at all. (15K GV P32)
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #12

On my 2002 HR found problem to be bad park brake switch. Found it by following brake arm under dash to locate switch. On mine it is a small switch located on the bracket that the pedal is mounted on .it may have one or two wires connected to it Through a connector that can be pulled off to see if the light goes out. The switch is mounted to the bracket by one screw witch completes the ground.on mind one wire is ground for dash light, the Other one its for jacks ground. Hope this helps
bobfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:22 PM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I just looked up your VIN and I don't see any auto part brake components so I'm guessing the instrument cluster is somehow getting a false signal or there is an internal issue with the IP making it illuminate that light. I've also seen a gas engine workhorse that was displaying a "high idle" lamp all time. They use the same IP in the commercial diesel chassis so it had the provision for the lamp and somehow the IP had shorted internally causing that lamp to illuminate.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #14

Ultra, that is my suspicion I just wanted to be sure th re wasn't some dastardly reason it might be on I was overlooking.

bobfo, I will check for a switch on the pedal and see if that's fruitful. It has occasionally been intermittent in illuminating, so I'm hoping for such an issue - easily rectified.

Tags
light