Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2021, 06:29 AM   #1

Auto Park Revisit

Hello all, new here and sorry to make this my first post but Iím desperate. I bought a very nice 32í 1994 Itasca Suncruiser recently and now the Auto Park light has come on and will not go off...now from what Iíve read, this is not good and not a cheap fix. I have also read and viewed videos of people removing this system and just using the manual foot park brake and chocking the wheels. Iím sure repairing this is the way to go but what about next time? Iím more leaning towards removing the system and going the long route with chocks. Is this safe to do? I mean, can I be removed and nothing else happen to the system? Thanks in advance.
JGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2021, 08:55 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This site has articles on troubleshooting and repairing the auto brake you have.

Oemy's Web Site

I would go that route first. If you haven't damaged your brake assembly or burned out your pump the fix is likely simple and inexpensive.

Here are a few more links I've found informative:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/auto...er-115758.html

https://www.nwtfc.com/wp-content/upl...eplacement.pdf

Chevy P-30 Auto Parking Brake (welcome to our nightmare)

AutoPark parking brake system help, troubleshooting, and repair

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:17 AM   #3

WELCOME to iRV2. I think you should at least learn about how the J71 works and investigate why it isnít working correctly before jumping to more drastic counter measures. It MAY be a simple fix, like replacing a leaking pressure switch, which are easily obtainable.
The AAPB system is a required ďsafetyĒ feature and adds convenience when parking when it is working properly.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:47 AM   #4

Trouble shooting info Auto Park

Here is some info which may help you:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/auto...de-133614.html
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Many of us here have had experience with AP issues and will be glad to help you.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #5

Does your coach already have a foot or hand applied PB in addition to the infamous J71 AAPB ????

Is the J71 still capable of keeping the coach from rolling when stopped on a slope ??? If so, this MAY mean the repair needed to extinguish the warning light may not be too expensive- switches are cheap.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:09 PM   #6

A Note of Interest

If anyone scrolls through this wealth of information they will no doubt see the name Roger Haag AKA: "Old Used Bear". Roger was instrumental in gathering much of this information and was very generous in sharing it with anyone who asked, myself included. Roger was the Authority on the Auto Park systems.
Unfortunately Roger has advanced in years and is no longer active on this board and is no longer answering questions according to a family member who reported in several months ago. I do not know what his status is at this time.
I say this so no one will be attempting to contact Roger and become upset that he didn't respond back.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:08 AM   #7

Strange Findings

So I did some experimenting yesterday and found out that the system is working as long as the engine is not running, light still does not go off though. I could hear it working with just the key on so I had my wife operate the shifter while I was underneath it, worked fine. Start the engine and nothing...? Not sure where to go from here.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
So I did some experimenting yesterday and found out that the system is working as long as the engine is not running, light still does not go off though. I could hear it working with just the key on so I had my wife operate the shifter while I was underneath it, worked fine. Start the engine and nothing...? Not sure where to go from here.
THAT does not seem "right". Lots of links in a post above, and here is another that MAY be of help: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/auto...de-133614.html.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #9

Try wiggling the ignition key. It sounds like the switch isn't returning completely to the run mode after starting the engine. Is there anything else this affects? Wipers, turn signals, ac blower etc?
Old 05-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #10

Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Try wiggling the ignition key. It sounds like the switch isn't returning completely to the run mode after starting the engine. Is there anything else this affects? Wipers, turn signals, ac blower etc?
Everything else works. I'm pretty sure the AP is working also (Haven't been able to get under and check it, been raining) because if the motor is running and I do the about to test it, the light acts like it is going to go off by dimming then coming back bright.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
Everything else works. I'm pretty sure the AP is working also (Haven't been able to get under and check it, been raining) because if the motor is running and I do the about to test it, the light acts like it is going to go off by dimming then coming back bright.
The motor should run when you put the shifter in Drive or Reverse but for only a few seconds then the motor has done it's job running the pump. If the motor continues running you more than likely have a leak somewhere so pressure isn't being built up in the system or the pressure switch is bad.
Find the pump and the fluid reserve tank and check the fluid level. If it's low add Dexron/Mercon transmission fluid to the full level.
There are two pressure type switches in this system. One will be near the pump and the other is in the line going to the brake actuator under the coach.
The switch on the pump is the pressure switch. The switch on the line is the light switch. Both of these switches are prone to leaking.
You will hear reference to the "Rotten Green Switch". This is the pressure switch on the pump. Just FYI.
I have part numbers for the switches if you need them.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:53 AM   #12

Itís Drivable

The Rv is drivable. It doesnít seem to be holding back like the AP is on. The light is still on which worries me. Hoping to get under it this weekend to get a look at the system.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:18 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a fault that can happen that is the switch for the light itself, not for the operation of the auto park system. Meaning JUST the light comes on, and nothing else happens. That's what happened to mine.
As I recall (from a few years ago, so recall could be faulty) if the system itself fails it either won't work at all, or it won't disable and you're unable to move (I believe not disabling is the most common issue). Since everything seems to be working on yours you might concentrate on finding out which switch turns on the dash light, and replacing that switch.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:00 AM   #14

From previous experience I would suggest you replace both switches now due to the age of the RV and no one knows how old the switches you have are. If they aren't bad now they will be. If one of these switches fails or leaks fluid the Auto Park brake can set and leave you stranded on the highway which can be an expensive situation aside from being dangerous. This can also lead to serious driveline damage.
I carry new replacement switches and the tools to change them in my MH.
I replaced both of my switches in 2015 shortly after buying my coach. My pressure switch (RGS) failed right in my own driveway. I replaced both switches in 2020 just as a precaution.