Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Autopark actuator broken weld

I had an unusual failure on a nearly new autopark brake actuator. The weld that holds the cylinder to the mounting flange split on the lower side and let the cylinder kick up several degrees. You can see the jagged metal just above the bolt. Ever seen this before? Is there a preferred replacement actuator?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65BAAC44-5367-4181-B499-BC059F0931EB.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	275312  
wchamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2020, 07:16 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have not heard of this Autopark failure before. Mine is OEM (and 20 years old) so I don't know about replacement parts, but if you still have the original OEM actuator you could see if 'Oldusedbear" on this site will rebuild it for you.
Here's a link to his website: http://www.rvautopark.com/
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:18 AM   #3

Ouch!. That is certainly unusual. Brazel's on line catalog didn't have anything but a google search found this: https://www.brazelsrv.com/Brazel's%20RV%20News?journal_blog_tag=Actuator

And, Old Used Bear (Roger Haag) replaces the seals in autopark actuators but may be a good source for complete replacements. I had him replace the seal in my actuator a while back.

Edit: from the Trek forum, the actuator part number is: GM #15968538

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchamb View Post
I had an unusual failure on a nearly new autopark brake actuator. The weld that holds the cylinder to the mounting flange split on the lower side and let the cylinder kick up several degrees. You can see the jagged metal just above the bolt. Ever seen this before? Is there a preferred replacement actuator?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:38 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pic of failed actuator

Here is a pic of the actuator ready to send back to Brazel’s for their inspection. We were blessed the actuator failed fully extended so the brakes didn’t lock up or overheat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F9E97800-C0B8-4848-BC55-655D209985C1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	288156  
Old 06-03-2020, 09:03 PM   #5

Wow, so this one of Brazels retrofit replacement units that failed?
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kinda hard to tell from the photo but it doesn't look like there was any weld penetration at all. Someone's got some 'splainin' to do.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:47 PM   #7

2X on poor/no penetration. Even where it looks like the weld was started it barely melted the base metal. Also looks like the weld had a gap running from 3 to 5 o'clock. Sure looks like a manufacturing defect to me.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This story is not complete without describing Brazel’s response to this event. I am happy with the customer care provided by Brazel’s. We had several phone calls and emails trying to troubleshoot the failure, because it was not obvious what was happening early on. After we figured it out, they quickly sent a replacement actuator, and a return mailing label requesting that I send the broken actuator back. I’m a newbie first time owner and their patient counsel on the phone helped bring my stress level down quite a bit as we were making our way back home.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchamb View Post
This story is not complete without describing Brazel’s response to this event. I am happy with the customer care provided by Brazel’s. We had several phone calls and emails trying to troubleshoot the failure, because it was not obvious what was happening early on. After we figured it out, they quickly sent a replacement actuator, and a return mailing label requesting that I send the broken actuator back. I’m a newbie first time owner and their patient counsel on the phone helped bring my stress level down quite a bit as we were making our way back home.
Thank You for reporting back. I have dealt with Brazel's myself and have talked with both Alan and Jon. Very helpful and polite.
We have to keep in mind the actuator you received wasn't built by Brazel's. They were simply the seller who in good faith sent you a replacement part they had no idea was defective. Kudos to Brazel's for sorting this out.
Lynn
Old 06-08-2020, 07:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Thank You for reporting back. I have dealt with Brazel's myself and have talked with both Alan and Jon. Very helpful and polite.

We have to keep in mind the actuator you received wasn't built by Brazel's. They were simply the seller who in good faith sent you a replacement part they had no idea was defective. Kudos to Brazel's for sorting this out.

Lynn

That have saved me more than once while traveling. That’s why I try to buy from them when I need a component.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote