Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 12:41 AM   #15

One more:

http://www.oemys-performance.com/j71autopark.htm
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 06:22 AM   #16

Thank you everyone for the links and advice. I think I've narrowed it down to needing the actuator adjusted, but would like some help on how much I'm able or should tighten it down...I don't want to risk damaging the cable. My pump runs, the switches work, the actuator works, but the cable is not able to push/pull the lever near the brake drum to engage/disengage the shoes
bford9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:00 AM   #17

Are you sure the star wheel on the drum itself is not out of adjustment?
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:23 AM   #18

UPDATE

Thanks again everyone. I finally built up the courage and dropped the driveshaft and got into the brake drum itself. I found that one of the shoes was completely worn down to the metal, as well as the cable within the drum had melted, which exposed the cable (which is probably a key reason why it wasn't engaging when the actuator pulled / pushed the cable.....So now I need to determine if I should replace the entire drum assembly or just replace the shoes.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
If it was mine, I would just replace the shoes, this is just a parking brake, unlike a disk or drum brake at each wheel that would cause vibrations if it was warped or worn.

Good investigation, at least now you can get it back going again, seems like the prior owner had driven when the brake was engaged.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:09 AM   #20

UPDATE...Finished

Well, it's been quite the journey, but I think I've successfully fixed everything. I've replaced both RGS (One at the pump, one at the actuator), just in case. I replaced the entire brake drum assembly (Thanks to Ultra RV products - AMAZING customer service), and inadvertently ended up replacing the u-joint going from the drive shaft to the brake drum because one of the caps fell off and all the needle bearings fell out (should have taped them up)….

Thanks to everyone for their guidance and for pointing me in the right direction to diagnose my issues. I've learned a ton and feel great I was able to tackle these jobs myself!

Think I still need to make some small adjustments to the brake drum, but overall It's backed being parked with no blocks under the tires!

Success!
Old 09-03-2020, 04:39 AM   #21

You did not mention if the manual foot or lever brake works !! ??

The manual brake should work if cable connected and shoes can touch the drum.

GL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bford9 View Post
I've read all the threads about the Rotten Green Switch, but I don't think that's my issue. I currently have NO park functionality at all on my 2002 Coachmen Pathfinder QB300 Workhorse 8.1L. I have the push/pull style yellow e-brake, which also does nothing at the moment. I'm able to drive my RV and I hear the autopark motor whine for a few seconds and then goes off, along with the autopark light. I got underneath and verified the actuator is actually moving freely when put into gear and back when it's placed into park, however when in park the RV keeps rolling. I'm assuming I need to replace the park brake shoes, but hoping someone could verify and provide some instruction about how to tackle this project. I called an fleet transmission place and they wanted $2,000 to do the job. I'd like to think it shouldn't require that type of expense and hopefully something I can tackle myself. Any thoughts / suggestions appreciated.
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSam View Post
You did not mention if the manual foot or lever brake works !! ??

The manual brake should work if cable connected and shoes can touch the drum.

GL !
There is no manual parking brake control. It's an Auto Park hydraulic system.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:59 AM   #23

Yes - the manual lever brake works when applied.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bford9 View Post
Yes - the manual lever brake works when applied.

I’m confused. Are you saying your P32 has BOTH types of PB ? One is the J71 AAPB and the other is a hand applied manual PB ??? If so, does the hand lever brake function apply the SAME brake shoes as the Auto brake??
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:48 PM   #25

On the RVAUTOPARK site, OUB talks about 3 different versions. I believe the early one has the pedal instead of the yellow knob. The diagram on the bottom of page 2 shows the cable going to the pedal.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.rvautopark.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/NEED-HELP-WITH-LOCKED-UP-AUTOPARK-PARKING-BRAKE-SYSTEM.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi7-fq0yNDrAhVKaM0KHf3ZDXMQFjARegQIDhAC&usg=AOvVaw3L_Z VOLoZh08LA0I5qb4Jo
MC72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:24 PM   #26

no most j71 had both a foot or hand lever manual access to the cable that pulls the brake shoes to open and brake via a mixing box/mechanism where the hydraulic pump cable also connects.

plenty of pic on google for j71.

j72 works significantly diff than j71 but also has a foot/lever manual brake.

it looks as though light weight versions of p30 may only have manual and/or a parking pawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I’m confused. Are you saying your P32 has BOTH types of PB ? One is the J71 AAPB and the other is a hand applied manual PB ??? If so, does the hand lever brake function apply the SAME brake shoes as the Auto brake??
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:01 PM   #27

Pressense of a hand lever for the J71 Automatic parking brake depends on the model year, I think they stopped including them in about 1999, so any P32 coaches built between then and when production stopped on the P32 in 2006 will only have the fake yellow button, which is nothing more than a power switch that kills power to the APB and leaves it in the park brake applied position.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSam View Post
no most j71 had both.....
I'm not sure which of my questions to the OP you were answering with a "no", but I'd like to wait until were hear from the OP, because I'm not sure you have your facts correct.

IMO, "Most" P32s don't have both, and I do know that the brake shoes are SPRING applied and hydralically released by the J71. I'm having trouble understanding how the same shoes ( in the drum on the DS ) can be applied by a spring - OR- a cable. I believe the hand or foot applied parking brake cable most likely went to the rear wheel brake drum(s) to apply the PB on those lighter GVWR chassis that did not have the J71 package. But, I've been wrong before
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote