Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2020, 02:21 PM   #1

Autopark help...

I've read all the threads about the Rotten Green Switch, but I don't think that's my issue. I currently have NO park functionality at all on my 2002 Coachmen Pathfinder QB300 Workhorse 8.1L. I have the push/pull style yellow e-brake, which also does nothing at the moment. I'm able to drive my RV and I hear the autopark motor whine for a few seconds and then goes off, along with the autopark light. I got underneath and verified the actuator is actually moving freely when put into gear and back when it's placed into park, however when in park the RV keeps rolling. I'm assuming I need to replace the park brake shoes, but hoping someone could verify and provide some instruction about how to tackle this project. I called an fleet transmission place and they wanted $2,000 to do the job. I'd like to think it shouldn't require that type of expense and hopefully something I can tackle myself. Any thoughts / suggestions appreciated.
bford9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #2

Hopefully, your shoes just need adjusting. Unless driven a distance with the brake on the shoes don't receive much, if any wear. I never replaced the shoes on mine but did adjust them and it isn't hard to do if you ever adjust drum brakes on a car. The drum has a slot for adjusting the shoes. You get the slot to the bottom and you can move the adjusting wheel with a flat bladed screw driver.

Here's a pdf that shows how to adjust the shoes, and offers insight as to how to remove the drum after getting the drive line out of the way. $2000 sure seems high to me. It doesn't look a whole lot more complicated than changing the shoes on a truck. Instead of pulling a wheel, you drop the driveshaft. Could be a little tricky getting the drum lose if it's been on there a while. Looks like it would be possible to attach a puller to the bolt holes of the U-joint yoke base on the drum.

Oh, be sure to block your wheels!

http://www.rvautopark.com/wp-content...king-brake.pdf
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:42 PM   #3

I've had two rigs with auto park. On both I preemptively over hauled the auto park system with upgraded parts from UltraRV.
One subsequently had an issue and it turned out I had to replace the drum. it had worn out/down over the years from prior owners driving with the break on.
On one I ordered the entire auto park brake back plate complete with shoes, springs, etc
This was one system I didn't want to have trouble with
I replaced actuator, cables, pressure switches, relay, brake back plate and ultimately the drum.
I would rather pay the money and do it right then never have to worry about it.
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/
The guys are UltraRV can advise you as well on what they recommend you replace.
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:04 AM   #4

Be careful adjusting the shoes, you don't want them to drag with the brake off, this can cause heat buildup resulting in a fire, more than one P32 coach has burned down due to someone mis-adjusting the APB shoes.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #5

So I've been diagnosing my issues with someone on line and he thinks I may not have a brake drum issue, but rather a broken cable. Can anyone tell me how to remove the sheath to be able to access the cable and remove it?
Old 08-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #6

Unless I'm mistaken the actuator when retracted pulls the cable and releases the brake. If the cable was broken the brake would be applied.
Lynn
Old 08-13-2020, 06:03 AM   #7

When put the RV into gear (neutral or drive) the actuator moves the cable out, which releases the brake. I see the actuator move, but nothing happens at the lever (doesn't move at all), which tells me the cable is most likely broken. Need some guidance in how to remove the cable from the actuator and the lever to diagnose it.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bford9 View Post
When put the RV into gear (neutral or drive) the actuator moves the cable out, which releases the brake. I see the actuator move, but nothing happens at the lever (doesn't move at all), which tells me the cable is most likely broken. Need some guidance in how to remove the cable from the actuator and the lever to diagnose it.

I’m not sure what “lever” you are watching, and am certainly not an expert on how the J71 works, I find it hard to imagine why they expected a cable to PUSH anything as powerful as the spring that pulls the shoes into contact with the brake drum. The pump has to produce something like 1,500 PSI to overpower that spring.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #9

update

I was able to unscrew the cable from the actuator and confirmed the cable IS NOT broken. I was able to pull/push it to the lever. I think I may just need to adjust the actuator tighter to pull the lever appropriately. Will try that later.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:21 PM   #10

At the top of this Workhorse forum page there is a link to a thread: "Workhorse Important Discussions"
Scroll down to discussion # 27 "Auto Park Brake"
Lots of reading but a wealth of information.
If you don't find the information you need call or E-Mail www.URVP.com and ask for Alan. He knows the system well and has the parts to repair it.
Lynn
Old 08-14-2020, 12:28 AM   #11

Check out:
http://oemys-performance.com/media/autopark%20brake%20replacement.pdf
Old 08-14-2020, 12:33 AM   #12

Another source:

http://www.wolfswords.com/motorhome/auto_parking_brake/PUMP%20MOTOR%20SWITCH..RGS...replacement.pdf
Old 08-14-2020, 12:36 AM   #13

Another source:

https://www.nwtfc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Auto-Park-Brake-Library.pdf
Old 08-14-2020, 12:37 AM   #14

Shift level specific info:

http://www.rvautopark.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Diagnosing-and-repairing-Gear-Shift-Lever-Position-Switch.pdf