Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Bad Rear Axle Bearing

I bought a 2010 Hurricane with the W-18 chassis new in May of 2010. It had the normal three-year or 36,000 mile GM warranty. The left rear wheels developed a dull growling sound as we were recently returning from a long trip. I brought it to a good repair facility this morning. They drove the coach and also lifted the rear of the coach and spun the wheels. The sound was definitely coming out of the left rear axle. The mechanics said it was a bad bearing noise, and they very rarely change a bearing with so few miles. My coach just now has 23,000 miles, but it is now nearly a year out of warranty. Does anyone think this could be considered a warranty issue? Komac
komac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #2

I would suggest that you try and find out if there was a recall on that problem. You may get some help from the Dealer you purchased from. The reason I suggest that is I tried the warranty help without any success. The Dealer came through for me . It was not the same problem but close to warranty expiration as yours is.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, bunch of views, no comments.

In a word, no. Should be a minor job - how much did they quote you?
If you're a backyard mechanic it's a DIY job. Looks like there's an inner and outer bearing on that model, axle bolts to the outside.

I'm guessing this is the Dana service sheet on it: http://www2.dana.com/pdf/AXSM-8941.pdf
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:28 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the replies C.J. and Trackman. I bought my coach several states away, so going to the dealer is not a good option. I might try the DIY route if the repair estimate is too high. Thanks again. Komac
Old 04-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by komac View Post
Does anyone think this could be considered a warranty issue?
Komac, To me it might read like that however given the current realities with the former Workhorse company, I doubt that a good will repair would be forthcoming. They're (Navistar) not going to fix anything unless they absolutely have to. In 04/2014 it is likely that there aren't any powertrain eligible chassis out there to cover under warranty.

Any single part can fail for whatever reason. When WCC installed your axle at the Union City plant the axle came out of a box as a complete assembly. All they did was bolt it in. Under warranty, that would not matter.

Was there an adequate level of fluid in the differential? You didn't share that with us.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:32 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, Driver. I did not know Workhorse is now Navistar. Yes, the differential was full and had never leaked. My coach is being repaired today. The mechanics recommend that the differential oil be drained and replaced with new. They said it might contain metal fragments from the bad bearings. That sounds reasonable, and I'm going to do that. Komac
Old 04-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Rear Axle Repair update

I got my coach from the repair facility this afternoon. They replaced both the inner and outer left rear bearings and then purged the differential, replacing the old gear oil with new synthetic gear lube. They found tiny metal shavings in the old gear oil. They showed me the old axle bearings. Both were scuffed up, but one of the bearings (not sure whether it was the outer or inner bearing) showed large irregular gouges, some perhaps a a sixteenth of an inch deep, in about a third of the bearing rollers. We could not conclude what caused such damage. My coach is never overloaded. Just the two of us use it. The most we carry are two fold-up bicycles, our normal clothing, about half a tank of water, an unmounted spare tire, and fuel. We tow a cavalier four wheels down. The mechanics believe the bearings were defective since new. My total repair bill, parts, oil, labor, and tax (which is 9.5% here) was $795.00. I don't know whether that price is fair, but I'm satisfied, and my coach runs as smooth and silent as the day I bought it new, nearly four years ago. I don't believe this problem could have been avoided, but do regret it did not occur before my factory warranty expired. As I said earlier, I now have 23,000 miles on the coach. The warranty was for three years or 36,000 miles. Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions. Komac
Old 04-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A happy ending is good.

It's a lot of $$, but you have a fair amount in parts and fluids, and a few hours labor. My guess is 2 to 3 hours, probly $100/hr.

You could probably have done it yourself and for less, but if you're not confident or highly competent then there's merit in having a pro do it and peace of mind. I have no qualms with that at all.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by komac View Post
As I said earlier, I now have 23,000 miles on the coach. The warranty was for three years or 36,000 miles. Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions.
Komac, That's not at all that uncommon. I'm glad that you obtained a good resolution to your problem.

I have to change my differential fluid next .... 100,000 miles+ indicated.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote