Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2005, 01:21 PM   #1

Has anybody installed the banks power system on their 8.1 and what was the results?
MONTANA RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2005, 01:21 PM   #2

Has anybody installed the banks power system on their 8.1 and what was the results?
MONTANA RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:36 PM   #3

I looked very closely at this. Definately high quality and does what it says. I dropped the idea when I saw where the power curve was. It does add all kinds of power but it's all at the upper RPM ranges. I'm not sure how helpful that is.
FullAstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:51 AM   #4

Montana Red, I had the Banks Power Pack installed at Banks in Azuza, CA. They used my 8.1 as a test case with the new RAM air system. I have the results of the test from Banks . My personal experience is a great deal of power and performance increase. I am going to test the system on a two week trip through Colorado. I can post my experience upon my return. The Banks exhaust system can be heard a block away, and sounds good!
Workhorse 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Just remember folks the Allison T1000 transmission is only rated for 340 HP input horsepower. What ever works for you is fine with me but just consider the alternatives.

Being Tim Taylor is great but I haven't seen him running a motorhome.

We have had other members here install BANKS power packs and the only thing they reported was a disturbing exhaust note and little if any performance increase, & "not worth the money".

It's a lot of $-money-$ for the little return you might see. My understanding is that under most operating conditions the PP doesn't significantly contribute toward the overall performance characteristics of the engine.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:06 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
My 8.1 had enought power to move my 38'11" Suncruiser pulling my Civic toad with no problems. I see no reason to speen $2000 on a Banks system. I'm keeping my $2000 invested for my next new coach.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:52 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Workhorse 48, how about some details on the new RAM air part of the Banks System. Can it be added to a Motorhome that already has the Banks System? Etc. Rick
Old 07-04-2005, 02:41 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
FWIW, I don't think it's necessary. As others have said, the extra power is produced at a very high RPM, you lose your dual exhaust, it's expensive and the Allison would most likely handle it, so why "fix" it if it ain't broke? Also see DriVer's post HERE and read the replies.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:00 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ask my wife about the Banks I had on my 2003 Suncruiser - neither of us wanted it after we spent the $2,500. I definetly am NOT planning to have it installed on my new 2005 unit, unless I want to start traveling solo.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:06 AM   #10

My dealer was running a special and I had it installed...Power and torgue increase with any kind of mod is usually at mid-high rpm range...The only way to get more at low rpm is with a supercharger. I like mine. Be sure to get the "new" muffler...which is alot quieter than the first gen muffler. Is banks "needed"? probably not on WH 8.1, but there are many things on my MH that is not needed...but I have it anyways...in motion sat comes to mind...
Old 07-28-2005, 03:31 PM   #11
Official iRV2 Sponsor

We Dyno tested two coaches with a banks power pack,one ran 272 HP,the other ran 278 HP.Today we ran a bone stock coach & it ran 268 HP.All three coaches were 2003 chassis.We installed Ultrapower programming into the ECM,& they ran from 325 HP to 352 HP.We also did a mileage test at a 25% load for 10 minutes and the digital dash readout was 7.8 MPG,after the Ultrapower programming it read 11.2 MPG.We have done extensive testing on the 8.1L/Allison combo since December & have received consistent results.The 8.1L engine is rated at 340 HP & 455 TQ at the flywheel.76 coaches tested and counting.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #12

The particular test which showed 352 HP was done today while I was in the shop getting info on the Brazel's system. I watched the whole thing and it is "on the level". I have on my lap, the printouts of that coach before and after, which shows the hp/torque curves crossing at 262 HP @ 2825 rpm "before" and 348 HP @ 3230 rpm "after". The second test run resulted in the 352 HP result quoted above. There is a buch of info which I don't feel comfortable quoting here which bears negatively on the Banks system vs Brazel's. They're on the web. I stumbled into that shop just checking out a Workhosre service shop. What a shock! Steve

rvr2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:51 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The Allison T1000 and 2100MH are only rated by Allison for a maximum input horsepower of 340HP regardless of what type of equipment you install on the 8.1L engine. Try selling the concept of more than 340HP to Allison and see how they respond before you step up and buy the after market equipment.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:11 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvr2352:
... 348 HP @ 3230 rpm "after"... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

on regular gas 87 octane?