Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #1

BatteryMINDer Plus or Not?

I have a 2008 Dolphin on a W22 which is used monthly. It is stored inside in Southern California but does not have 110V power available so the storage company starts it every Saturday and let's it run for about one half hour. It is stored with the house batteries switched off.

Will a BatteryMINDerPlus be a good investment for my batteries realizing the BatteryMINDer Plus will only have an impact while I am at a campground for a long weekend monthly? Will I need one for the house batteries (lead acid) and one for the chassis battery (maintenance free) ?

Thanks in advance for your advice in this matter.
sidewinder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder2 View Post
Thanks in advance for your advice in this matter.
My rig is plugged in 24/7 and I use a battery minder. I also have an Iota Intelligent float charger which conditions my coach batteries. You have a new rig so it's possible that your converter charger is intelligent. I'd check.

Going camping! Of course I would use a Battery Minder every minute of the day when I was plugged into shore power.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #3

The monthly use is probably going to make the most difference.

A pulse desulfator like the BatteryMINDer works best when it has time to do its thing. It wouldn't hurt and doesn't cost much so it might be worth a try if you can plug in for a few days each month.

I question whether a weekly engine run for a half hour is worth the effort or cost effective.

You do need to make sure that the battery is fully and promptly charged after use and that the use is enough to cause a bit of a drop in the battery voltage or state of charge. A full charge means at least 8 hours with a good modern battery charger.

What you don't want in modern battery maintenance is just a float charger. That is old school. Ideally, you'd keep your batteries in the care of a device that will assure a full charge and also provide some means to inhibit sulfation. The BatteryMINDer does this as do some converters like those with the Chargewizard. (float alone is difficult to get just right resulting in either plate corrosion or sulfation)

Letting your batteries sit is not good for them so you have to consider a bit shorter life as a part of the cost of not being able to provide proper maintenance. That deficit shouldn't be too bad if you can get them out for a bit of exercise at least monthly, provide a prompt, vigorous, and full charge before storage, and minimize any loads on the battery when not in use.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:52 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I Have been using The Battery Tender for over 25 years,on everthing from motorcycles. lawn mowers, autos and now since 2002 motorhomes.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #5

Thank you all for the input.

I guess the problem is the motorhome sitting for 3-4 weeks at a time. I have 50 amp service at my business for prepping the coach for a trip but I don't want to leave it there because of the beating it takes with this California sun.

Do I need seperate BatteryMINDers for the coach batteries and the chassis battery?
sidewinder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder2 View Post
Thank you all for the input......

Do I need seperate BatteryMINDers for the coach batteries and the chassis battery?
I don't think the BM+ was intended to be used on three batteries at one time. I use mine on the coach batteries, and leave the chassis battery "disconnected" while in storage. If the chassis batty were to become weak somehow (mine has not yet), you should still have a "boost" switch to enable the coach batteries to help the chassis battery get you started. Then the Alternator will recharge the chassis batty pretty quickly.

My sugggeston is to put the BM+ on the coach battys and "forgetaboutit"

Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
"forgetaboutit"
Ya have to love that type of advice!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The manual says the Battery Minder Plus can handle up to 4 batteries at once.

I have used a Battery Minder for eight years on my coach.
I just bought the Plus for the CO commercial peach orchard we inherited in Feb. We have several batteries from farm equipment that will be stored inside and connected to it all winter.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #9

Clay L:
I was responding to the question "Do I need seperate BatteryMINDers for the coach batteries and the chassis battery?"

I'm no electrician, but wouldn't they all have to be connected together? The BM+ only has two leads, one + and one -. "Normally" the chassis and coach batteries are kept seperated, and I'm pretty sure they don't use the same ground, so I don't know "how" any charger can handle both at the same time. Maybe somebody smarter than me can explain it better.
Ed
Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Clay L:
I was responding to the question "Do I need seperate BatteryMINDers for the coach batteries and the chassis battery?"

I'm no electrician, but wouldn't they all have to be connected together? The BM+ only has two leads, one + and one -. "Normally" the chassis and coach batteries are kept seperated, and I'm pretty sure they don't use the same ground, so I don't know "how" any charger can handle both at the same time. Maybe somebody smarter than me can explain it better.
Ed
Ground at a headlight is (should be) the same ground as at the tail lights.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
battery Minder Plus Not Recommended for Deep Cycle Batteries

Here is description of Battery Minder Plus

"Product Description:
BatteryMINDer Plus is the latest of a new generation of "Computer-On-A-Chip" technology chargers. It conditions "sulfated" batteries as well as automatically charging any type 12 volt storage battery without ever over-charging.

The BatteryMINDer Plus is a 3-mode charger/maintainer/conditioner that extends performance and life of all types and sizes of 12 Volt lead acid batteries. These include maintenance-free, marine, deep cycle, sealed and all popular brands of AGM dry-type, valve-regulated batteries.

Includes one Non-Fused Clamp Harness and one Fused Lug Harness
12 Volt Battery charger, maintainer and conditioner
Charges at 1.3 Amps
Also de-sulphate's Battery
Maintain up to 4 standard, starting batteries (of similar type - in parallel). Amperage is divided evenly among connected batteries. (NOT recommended for deep cycle batteries)
The wires to connect multiple batteries are not included. Use 18 gauge lamp cord wire.
Polarity reversal / short circuit over temperature protection
Charge indicator shows correct connections plus 'blinks' when
battery reaches full charge
Comes with Qwik Connect with Clamps & Ring Terminals
Comes with an Online Registration offer through the manufacturer for Free Battery Condition Indicator that retails for $11.95 which will display the condition of your battery instantly
Can be left on for months at a time
Only costs $0.15 a month to run 24/7
Will not damage your battery
This unit will not charge batteries less than 11 volts
5 Year Manufacturer Warranty
cULus approved

Specs:
Model 12117
Input 105-130 Vac 50/60 Hz
Output 12 volts @ 1.3 Amps
Charge Voltage 14 Vdc
Float Voltage 13.4 Vdc
Desulphation Pulse 1.0A @ 3.26 MHz
Float Current 5 Ma - 200 Ma*
Size/Weight 3-3/4"L x 2-1/2"W x 2-1/4"H / 3 lbs
Cord Length: 12' output"

Notice it says "starting batteries" and not recommended for deep cycle batteries.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Here is description of Battery Minder Plus

"Product Description:
BatteryMINDer Plus is the latest of a new generation of "Computer-On-A-Chip" technology chargers. It conditions "sulfated" batteries as well as automatically charging any type 12 volt storage battery without ever over-charging.

The BatteryMINDer Plus is a 3-mode charger/maintainer/conditioner that extends performance and life of all types and sizes of 12 Volt lead acid batteries. These include maintenance-free, marine, deep cycle, sealed and all popular brands of AGM dry-type, valve-regulated batteries.

Includes one Non-Fused Clamp Harness and one Fused Lug Harness
12 Volt Battery charger, maintainer and conditioner
Charges at 1.3 Amps
Also de-sulphate's Battery
Maintain up to 4 standard, starting batteries (of similar type - in parallel). Amperage is divided evenly among connected batteries. (NOT recommended for deep cycle batteries)
The wires to connect multiple batteries are not included. Use 18 gauge lamp cord wire.
Polarity reversal / short circuit over temperature protection
Charge indicator shows correct connections plus 'blinks' when
battery reaches full charge
Comes with Qwik Connect with Clamps & Ring Terminals
Comes with an Online Registration offer through the manufacturer for Free Battery Condition Indicator that retails for $11.95 which will display the condition of your battery instantly
Can be left on for months at a time
Only costs $0.15 a month to run 24/7
Will not damage your battery
This unit will not charge batteries less than 11 volts
5 Year Manufacturer Warranty
cULus approved

Specs:
Model 12117
Input 105-130 Vac 50/60 Hz
Output 12 volts @ 1.3 Amps
Charge Voltage 14 Vdc
Float Voltage 13.4 Vdc
Desulphation Pulse 1.0A @ 3.26 MHz
Float Current 5 Ma - 200 Ma*
Size/Weight 3-3/4"L x 2-1/2"W x 2-1/4"H / 3 lbs
Cord Length: 12' output"

Notice it says "starting batteries" and not recommended for deep cycle batteries.
John: thanks for posting all that. I assume you changed the part in red for reference. Please note the part of your post I quoted where I put selected text in BOLD. How are we to understand that apparent contradicition?

Thanks, Ed
Old 09-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ed,

My assumption is that it is ok for an individual battery, but not a bank of deep cycle batteries. I did use red for emphasis.

John
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #14

Thanks again, John. Now that makes sense to me. Apparently it can handle up to four "cranking" batteries connected together, but not 4 deep cycle batteries. My BM+ seemed to do a good job on the two deep cycle "house" batteries in my Newmar.
Ed