Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS505 View Post
Raylar builds nice 8.1 engines.
Their phone doesn’t seem to be working. I’ve been trying to call them for the last two days. They were also one of my first choices. I’m going to email them tonight and see if they have any advice. On their website it looks like they only build high end performance motors and parts kits.
8.1Vortec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2021, 06:47 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
I bought a Blueprint 5.0 from Summit. Before buying I read many reviews. I didnt see any negative reviews regarding Blueprints warranty.

To make a general statement that all reman engines are crap and no one stands behind their product is just a false statement.

When you close your mind, you only limit yourself.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:44 PM   #17

GM is not making the 8.1 block anymore so you can't buy a brand new 8.1.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
I bought a Blueprint 5.0 from Summit. Before buying I read many reviews. I didnt see any negative reviews regarding Blueprints warranty.

To make a general statement that all reman engines are crap and no one stands behind their product is just a false statement.

When you close your mind, you only limit yourself.
Wow..

I never said anything about blueprint or even considered them because they don’t have stock, remanufactured 8.1’s listed on their site. I also never made any “general statement” that “all reman engines are crap and no one stands behind their product”.

If you go back and re-read the comment you’re referring to I said “It seems like all of the bigger name reman companies I’ve come across“, meaning that of the few companies I’ve found that reman the 8.1, all of them have had mostly bad reviews. I never said anything bashing “all reman engines” or all reman companies, otherwise I would not be asking for recommendations on a company that remans engines..

I’m sure there are honest, quality reman companies out there that produce great work and know the 8.1 and that’s exactly what I’m looking to find.

And thanks for the life lesson, I’ll make sure to log that away.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:01 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
GM is not making the 8.1 block anymore so you can't buy a brand new 8.1.
World products makes new blocks. I was considering building a high output 8.1 from the block up for my UFO. Not because I needed it, but because I’m a old school gear head that loves that sort of thing

There’s tons of speed parts out there for these engines. I can do my own rebuilds so I don’t know who does it, but Raylar has the good parts, hopefully they are still around
RS505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS505 View Post
World products makes new blocks. I was considering building a high output 8.1 from the block up for my UFO. Not because I needed it, but because I’m a old school gear head that loves that sort of thing

There’s tons of speed parts out there for these engines. I can do my own rebuilds so I don’t know who does it, but Raylar has the good parts, hopefully they are still around
I’ve been calling Raylar but their phones down. I sent them an email yesterday, just waiting to hear back now.

I’m thinking I might end up doing something similar, though. I’ll probably buy a Jasper reman and just pay the core deposit to keep the core, then I can install the reman and have it up and running while I rebuild the original. I have 2 vehicles with 8.1’s so I wouldn’t mind having a spare engine built and ready to go.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.1Vortec View Post
Wow..

I never said anything about blueprint or even considered them because they don’t have stock, remanufactured 8.1’s listed on their site. I also never made any “general statement” that “all reman engines are crap and no one stands behind their product”.

If you go back and re-read the comment you’re referring to I said “It seems like all of the bigger name reman companies I’ve come across“, meaning that of the few companies I’ve found that reman the 8.1, all of them have had mostly bad reviews. I never said anything bashing “all reman engines” or all reman companies, otherwise I would not be asking for recommendations on a company that remans engines..

I’m sure there are honest, quality reman companies out there that produce great work and know the 8.1 and that’s exactly what I’m looking to find.

And thanks for the life lesson, I’ll make sure to log that away.
What was wrong with the Blackwater Engines that I linked?
Old 03-28-2021, 09:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
What was wrong with the Blackwater Engines that I linked?
They had a lot of bad reviews from what I saw. I don’t have any experience with them or know anyone with firsthand experience using them so reviews are all I have to go by. I’m leaning towards Powertrain Products Inc at the moment. I’ve seen quite a few recommendations for them.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
8.1 Vortec ....What happened to the original 8.1?
It has a dead cylinder. The rear cylinder on the right bank is heavily oil fouled and not firing. I put new ACDelco 41-101 iridium plugs and Ultra RV Magnum plug wires in it and it oil fouled the new plug in less than a minute just sitting at idle. It’s either a broken oil ring or valve seals/valve guides. I’m debating if I want to pull the valve covers, retainers and springs and put new valve seals in it or just replace the motor and rebuild the old one over the winter.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:53 PM   #24

Have you tried a compression test?

Have you tried a compression test?

Here are my numbers for a comparison, if only the one cylinder is low you might save some money by fixing it your self. At least by fixing it yourself you know what you got when your done.

Feel free to give me a call if you want 606-875-0125 Kevin

ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.1Vortec View Post
They had a lot of bad reviews from what I saw. I don’t have any experience with them or know anyone with firsthand experience using them so reviews are all I have to go by. I’m leaning towards Powertrain Products Inc at the moment. I’ve seen quite a few recommendations for them.
They also have a bunch of great reviews.
There is also a you tube video of a tour of their factory.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:07 PM   #26

Maybe you could go for a rebuilt 454 assuming all the fitting of trans and elec engine/trans controls etc would fit can be done - would think a possible kit avail.

but I think what ktoutdoor makes sense and maybe quicker and less $$.

Compression test and see if a valve issue or as you said rings/hole in piston - seems hard to do that - likely must pull head to see if valve issue or not as well as inspect piston/rings.

once that answered, then can approach the solution your way.

GL!
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:21 PM   #27

Since you are in Lansing you might want to call Jeff Finley at Northside Towing. He probably knows every engine builder in the area. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:26 PM   #28

I have a perfect solution for you. Get a ZZ572 from GM Performance. It has a tall deck block, so no one but you will know whats inside. Because its the tall deck block, the 8.1 intake should all bolt up. The exhaust manifolds should be the same, so you can drop standard headers on it. Get Howell Engine Development to tune it for you.

Tags
ace, rebuild