Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2021, 10:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
I have a perfect solution for you. Get a ZZ572 from GM Performance. It has a tall deck block, so no one but you will know whats inside. Because its the tall deck block, the 8.1 intake should all bolt up. The exhaust manifolds should be the same, so you can drop standard headers on it. Get Howell Engine Development to tune it for you.
On sale...$16,000.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2021, 04:34 PM   #30

new short blocks are supposedly avail, then you would use all your parts from current engine, of course repairing anything - plus you should redo the valve seats and resurface the heads.

should be quick if all bits and parts are avail for a builder - diy then can take your time.

GL!

ps: amazes me how freely ppl spend YOUR $$, $16k ? if a 1%er just buy new mh, why just replace the engine !! see, i can spend your $$ even better !!
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:30 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSam View Post
ps: amazes me how freely ppl spend YOUR $$, $16k ? if a 1%er just buy new mh, why just replace the engine !! see, i can spend your $$ even better !!
Read who suggested that option. I'm not suggesting anything I've not already done myself - and did it with a motorhome with a lower resale value than his. I did the transmission as well, so my total was around $13K, time it was all said and done. Was it worth it? Worth every penny. Would I do it again - absolutely. In my case, I double the horsepower. This enabled me to hold over 80 mph up an 6% grade towing a 4600 lbs Grand Cherokee. (That was only 5 mph over the speed limit) You no longer worried about pulling out in heavy traffic. It would just go. You never get your money back in resale - but you get every penny back in the improved usability of the coach. It just makes it much easier to drive.

I only suggest this as an option to consider. This option does not make sense for everyone. I make the point that these are the advantages that I found that applied to me when I did something similar. So I'm not spending someone else's money. This is money I chose to spend myself. If someone wants to go down a similar path that I did, I'm happy to show the way. If they chose not to, I will smile at them as well... in my mirror.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:58 AM   #32

SMART is spending the least amount of $$ with the gain desired.

Any fool can spend any amount of $$, we see that daily when poor ppl buy expensive cars just to look 'cool'.

As said, surely are lots of ppl that find spending OTHER ppl's $$, and $16k for an engine that can easily be repaired much cheaper is the FOOL's way out - not smarter.

Yet more of the 'Throw away society' and just throw $$ at the problem society/world we live in - as many smart ppl say, we will be digging up the land fields in the future for things thrown away TODAY !!

SMART is harder, takes discipline, takes knowledge, takes skill, no need just throw $$ at it.
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSam View Post
SMART is spending the least amount of $$ with the gain desired.
As said, surely are lots of ppl that find spending OTHER ppl's $$, and $16k for an engine that can easily be repaired much cheaper is the FOOL's way out - not smarter...
Your two statements are potentially in conflict. Why, because you have predetermined the OP's "desired gain" without even asking him. We don't know if he has any desire for increased power, and significantly increased reliability. Maybe having more practical torque than most DP's does improve the driving experience for the OP. How can you determine that any improvement over stock somehow the fool's way out? Again, we don't know the OP's desires, needs or wants.

Life is a spectrum of effort vs satisfaction. Where we choose to live on that spectrum is our own choice. But to suggest that it is foolish to live anywhere on that spectrum other than where you do is inappropriate.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Your two statements are potentially in conflict. Why, because you have predetermined the OP's "desired gain" without even asking him. We don't know if he has any desire for increased power, and significantly increased reliability. Maybe having more practical torque than most DP's does improve the driving experience for the OP. How can you determine that any improvement over stock somehow the fool's way out? Again, we don't know the OP's desires, needs or wants.

Life is a spectrum of effort vs satisfaction. Where we choose to live on that spectrum is our own choice. But to suggest that it is foolish to live anywhere on that spectrum other than where you do is inappropriate.

Iím looking for a bone stock, remanufactured 8.1 built by a reputable company that uses quality oem/GM parts. If buying a replacement or surplus motor direct from GM was still an option, that would have been my first choice.

I donít have any need for more power or performance, just looking for a reputable reman company that does quality work
8.1Vortec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:34 PM   #35

OK, so that answers the question. I may not be the right person to help you.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:15 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.1Vortec View Post
Iím looking for a bone stock, remanufactured 8.1 built by a reputable company that uses quality oem/GM parts. If buying a replacement or surplus motor direct from GM was still an option, that would have been my first choice.

I donít have any need for more power or performance, just looking for a reputable reman company that does quality work
Did you see the link in post #5?
Old 05-04-2021, 09:19 AM   #37

I am a couple weeks late to this post but here goes, Be forewarned, ALL engine builders are having a difficult time right now obtaining parts. This is creating long waits in the performance and stock re-build industry. It is not unusual for parts to take 6 to 8 weeks to obtain right now that normally are next day. Everything from pistons to cylinder heads are a problem.

Many shops are not even taking in work because the cannot complete the jobs they already have.

Good luck.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, rebuild