Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2005, 11:41 AM   #1

I purchased a new 2005 Tiffin Allegro 30DA (31') with a Workhorse W20 chassis (has the Bilsteins). Overall, the handling is good and I love the power of that big 8.1 engine. I've read every post on this forum (by the way, great forum with wonderful ideas!) and my Allegro does not exhibit the type of issues others have complained of but I would like to do something to improve the steering. While driving down the highway it is difficult just to center the wheel and leave it. I'm having to constantly move the steering wheel to keep a straight line (worse with cross winds but occurs, to a lesser degree, with no wind). In other words, the steering seems overly sensitive causing the motorhome to tract either right or left requiring constant adjustments just to maintain a straight line. The need for constant steering input is tiriing in that you have to be constantly vigilent to stay in your lane. I had my motorhome weighed with all my normal stuff and full tanks of gas and water and I'm am well under gross (by over 2,000 lbs) and well under the gross weights for front and rear axles (weighed separately).
I'm thinking steering stabilizer (the kind that maintains center electrically) but I'm not sure this will fix the problem. So what's it going to take to solve this problem.
Thanks in advance.

2005 Honda CRV
TriumphDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2005, 11:41 AM   #2

I purchased a new 2005 Tiffin Allegro 30DA (31') with a Workhorse W20 chassis (has the Bilsteins). Overall, the handling is good and I love the power of that big 8.1 engine. I've read every post on this forum (by the way, great forum with wonderful ideas!) and my Allegro does not exhibit the type of issues others have complained of but I would like to do something to improve the steering. While driving down the highway it is difficult just to center the wheel and leave it. I'm having to constantly move the steering wheel to keep a straight line (worse with cross winds but occurs, to a lesser degree, with no wind). In other words, the steering seems overly sensitive causing the motorhome to tract either right or left requiring constant adjustments just to maintain a straight line. The need for constant steering input is tiriing in that you have to be constantly vigilent to stay in your lane. I had my motorhome weighed with all my normal stuff and full tanks of gas and water and I'm am well under gross (by over 2,000 lbs) and well under the gross weights for front and rear axles (weighed separately).
I'm thinking steering stabilizer (the kind that maintains center electrically) but I'm not sure this will fix the problem. So what's it going to take to solve this problem.
Thanks in advance.

2005 Honda CRV
TriumphDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:03 PM   #3

We had the same problem with our W22. The problem was fixed by installing both the front and rear stabilizers noted below in my signature. We added the rear one first and it helped a lot with the tail waging the dog.. which did affect the steering, but it wasn't until we had the front one installed that I noticed the most difference.

In fact, the day it was installed there were 40mph wind gusts and they hit the MH broadside while I drove home and I barely had to make an adjustment.

So, since you don't have the length that might cause the tail wagging the dog effect, the front stabilizer would probably help a lot.

Good luck!

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome TriumphDriver to irv2, You have done your homework on weight an loading, a rear tracking bar mite help you before a steering stabilizer, I don't have one but my MH tracks straight with little or no steering corrections.
If you have put weight up front, to not over load axel, it should track better. Its a possibility your front end has to be aligned.
If you have more of your load in the rear your front tires won't have the traction they need for a grip on the road surface. --"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TriumphDriver:
So what's it going to take to solve this problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Before you start down this road, make sure that your front end is properly aligned.

I experienced a bit of over correction while steering and I was almost a half a degree out on the toe setting. The MH drives much better and wanders less.

If you do go for a FEA make sure your loaded for bear! Make sure your air pressures are also where they should be as well before you go to the shop. Full fuel, LP and 20 gallons of water plus your stuff outta do it!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

As Driver says, make sure of the front end alignment and tire pressures first. However, yours sounds like a classic case where a panhard rod (track bar) is needed. If you are not aware of any yawing in the rear end (a feeling that the back is swaying and pushing you around), then I suggest the Davis Tru-Trac bar for the front end. This will correct the tendency of the front wheels to follow almost imperceptible ruts in the road or to track slightly sideways on crowned or banked roads.

If there is any yawing, install a rear track bar (from Henderson) first.

In all probability either of these track bars will fully cure your problem, but it is best to use the one suited for your particular symptoms.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:06 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
my 2005 34f is 4 weeks old just took on first trip steering is very flighty you cant relax while driving always correcting
thanks
p.s have not brought in for first service yet ,seems like to much play in steering
Old 01-20-2006, 09:20 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
follow up! had 34f bounder weighed 4 points air pressure was to high set air pressure with brand new calibrated gauge to good year tire specs . no change still is all over the road always fighting to keep it between the lines'will be bringing it to workhorse.
ps bought gauge at meyers tire supply tampa $17.00 and can be cailbrated and had weighing done by rv saftey in florida portable scales
Old 01-20-2006, 12:12 PM   #9

One thing not brought up. Where are your Fresh water and waste tank's located? This can make a difference when these tanks are half full or more. Had an Old P-32 and all the tanks were rear. Drove like a boat in the wind. When tanks were emty handled a lot better. My present MH has tanks down the center and between the axels. Handles fine. I did add Steer Safe which make side winds and trucks easeier to handle.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
TriumphDriver,
Our 2004 Adventurer 37B had the same problem. A Henderson Track-bar and a Roadmaster Tru-center eliminated the problem. Now cross-winds, passing semi's, or curves no longer move the RV around. The Tru-center allows the driver to electronically adjust the center to allow for cross-winds or road crowns. Good luck on your modifications.

Dave
Old 01-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #11

Dave,

I notice in your post the Roadmaster Tru-Center Is this similar to the Blue Ox centering device? If yes, how does it compare?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

For that sort of problem, go with a track bar. It will straighten right out. Based on your limited descripton I would say the Front track bar (Davis Tru-trak) but a rear bar (Henderson) might do it as well. The rear bar is a better choice if you experience yaw, but what you describe is sometimes called "fidget" or "nervous steering - constant minor corrections. That condition is usually best tamed witha front bar like the Davis.

Your problem is not the steering wheel or tie rod - it is the front wheels themselves getting pushed off-track a bit by external sideplay forces. The track bars lock down chassis to pretty much eliminate sideplay.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:43 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I would start with the basics....
1) Get the front end aligned with the coach loaded for the road.
2) Get it weighed (4 corners preferred) and set the tire air pressures correctly.
3) Check your shocks... I can only assume that you have Bilstiens on from the factory.
4) Add a rear trac bar... My DIY version on cost about $70. For more info follow the link in my signature.
5) Consider a front trac bar and/or a steering add on like SteerSafe, SaftiSteer etc.

Note - Over on the RV.net there is a thread about Blue Ox Tru Centers going south. Some have stuck on a turn !!! Several have had new ones put on and even a couple of them failed the 2nd time.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:58 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bluewind,
Thanks for correcting my misstatement in such a nice way. I just had a brain-****.... It is a Blue Ox Tru-Center...duh

Dave