Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2005, 04:42 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have an '04 Sightseer 27C, P32 Chassis. The brake fluid reservoir is not accessable when the hood is opened. I can wiggle under and up by the driver's front wheel and find a metal shield with a cut out showing the reservoir.

I can't get to it 100%, you would have to be Plastic Man to do this. I have shined a flashlight behind the reservoir in an attempt to "see" the level. Not sure of what I am seeing. I took off the cap (after wiping the area with a rag) and dipped in my finger.

Apparently, it was full. Not sure.

Is there a better way to check the brake fluid?

Just my luck a few months later, WH started to mount the reservoir under the hood!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2005, 04:42 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have an '04 Sightseer 27C, P32 Chassis. The brake fluid reservoir is not accessable when the hood is opened. I can wiggle under and up by the driver's front wheel and find a metal shield with a cut out showing the reservoir.

I can't get to it 100%, you would have to be Plastic Man to do this. I have shined a flashlight behind the reservoir in an attempt to "see" the level. Not sure of what I am seeing. I took off the cap (after wiping the area with a rag) and dipped in my finger.

Apparently, it was full. Not sure.

Is there a better way to check the brake fluid?

Just my luck a few months later, WH started to mount the reservoir under the hood!
Old 09-08-2005, 11:05 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thought I would bring this up to the top as no replies yet.

HEY ALL YOU P32 CHASSIS OWNERS IN THE SAME SITUATION AS ME: How do you check your brake fluid: Hire a midget? Let the WH service center do it? Graft additional 36 inches of arm to yours?

Do you just assume that if there is no fluid on the ground in the reservoir's location or at the brake cyclinder areas, don't worry?
Old 09-09-2005, 03:44 AM   #4

I believe your question was answered on the other forum....Take off your engine doghouse cover and check fluid.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:23 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, OK, I'll try. I have yet to remove the doghouse cover for any reason.

When I first wrote WH they told me to look under the hood. Second time I wrote them, it was to go under the wheel well. No one said to remove the doghouse cover.

This is our first Class A and we bought it in Jan '05. My previous experience was a slide-in truck camper.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:08 PM   #6
Cat

To see the brake fluid level it is easier if you have the engine cover off. But to add fluid it is easier to add from the left wheel well and have someone watch from above (the engine cover area) so you do not overfill. Also to get the engine cover off you have to find and remove the two screws. One on the bottom left front coner and bottom right front corner of the engine cover. They are not easy to see.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #7

This post leads me to wonder what it would take to move the P-32 brake fluid reservoir in front of the power steering reservoir so that it could be accessible from the "hood". Anything as critical as brake fluid should be easy to check.

I am over 6' tall and I can just barely reach the reservoir beyond the tire and can only stick a finger in to guess how much it contains.

I had a hard time even finding the reservoir. Here is an idea...force the designers to try doing the service operations before the unit is put into production.

Best regards, Jack