Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2021, 02:35 PM   #1

Blast it, I think I need help from EdGray

So last trip home Big Blue's fuel pump decided to die, ten miles from home, right after leaving the dump station. I went through all the mechanics tricks to wring the last 10 miles out to get home to no avail. After a new adventure of multiple calls to road service, a visit from the Sheriff, and spending an unplanned night in the coach 24 hours after the breakdown she made it home.

Now a week later I am at my wits end. I have been trying to figure out what the correct fuel pump is for this chassis build. I thought I had it nailed down, came across a post on here that gave installed height of the two most likely suspects. Great measure the tank 53 in long, 27.75 in wide, and most important 12.75 in tall meaning 80 gallon tank. Cool, check the post here, pump number XYZ. I go to order pump number XYZ, and the page says it fits the 80 Gallon tank and the installed height is that of the pump listed here as Number ABC and vice versa. AARRRGGHHHHH!

Help EdGray, can you take my vin and tell us which blasted pump I need.

It's a 2001 MY Holiday Rambler Admiral 30D, on a 2000 Workhorse P32 chassis 5B4LP37J2Y3317500.

My grandson is still anxious to help me drop the tank(a very good thing), and MsK is driving me nuts about if its going to get done in time to leave on Sept 6 as planned. It will be if I can get the right bloody pump.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
.....Now a week later I am at my wits end. I have been trying to figure out what the correct fuel pump is for this chassis build........Help EdGray, can you take my vin and tell us which blasted pump I need.

It's a 2001 MY Holiday Rambler Admiral 30D, on a 2000 Workhorse P32 chassis 5B4LP37J2Y3317500....
You are right about it being a 2000 P32. According to the "build sheet" it has SPID code NN4 which is a 60 gallon fuel tank. The build sheet does not provide details such as part numbers, or a pump description, however I already have it downloaded and can attach it to a reply IF you send me an email:
edgray1@gmail.com

I believe you can determine which fuel pump you need by entering your vin # HERE: www.urvp.com . They MAY be able to get one to you in time, but you need to deal with them. IF URVP can't help, I suggest you try Millsupply.com because I think they also source P32 chassis parts.
Good luck!
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #3

On my 2000 workhorse I am going with AutoZone FG0064 it has the ability to adjust height.. I know you really did not ask me... but for less than 300.00 why pay 500.00 or more.. lifetime warranty.. good luck and keep us posted
Old 08-18-2021, 04:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is the fuel pump that’s in my 2005 W24.
It’s spring loaded and adjusts for a tank height of 12”-14”.

Delphi FG0061 Fuel Pump Module

The FG0064 mentioned in a previous reply is taller approx 15 1/2”.

I bought mine from Mill Supply and found an identical one on Amazon for $20 cheaper later on.
Rock Auto also had it even cheaper I believe.
Dropping the tank wasn’t hard at all once it was drained. Should be an easy afternoon job if you’re tank isn’t full!
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:56 PM   #5

You'll need to drop the tank anyway. Do that and you may find an ID tag on the pump to help in your search.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
EBAY has the Delphi FG0061 Fuel Pump Module for as little as $160 with free shipping. It is supposedly in stock.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
You'll need to drop the tank anyway. Do that and you may find an ID tag on the pump to help in your search.

Once I have the tank down it will be a piece of cake to figure it out. I was wanting to get the pump ordered to have it on hand when the tank comes down. Where I live outside Reno Nevada is definitely desert, and this time of year I have two kinds of weather usually: Hot and dusty, and hot and dusty with gale force winds. Occasionally we get thunderstorms, that means Hot, dusty and windy with a chance of gullywasher rains. I also have to borrow a fuel buggy from my old shop to pump out roughly 40 to 60 gallons of fuel, and pump it back in when I am done. If she doesn't start, like they always do after being towed in, I also have to borrow the Fuel Injection Cleaner tank so I can put some gas in it, and use it to back the beast into the driveway and up onto the railroad ties to get it high enough to drop the tank. Old mechanics have their tricks to get it done. I just want to be able to drop the tank,do my electrical checks, swap the pump, and put the tank back in in one day.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:53 PM   #8

Okay, this is definitely one of those crazy coach builder did what they damn well please deals. Mr Gray provided me with the build sheet for the chassis as provided to Holiday Rambler, and it definitely shows it was delivered with RPO NN4 or 60 gallon fuel tank. I have measured the tank now multiple times with two different tape measures, and accounting for the 1/2 inch lip at both ends of the tank it is 13 in tall, 27 inches wide, and 53 inches long (52 when .5 inch per end is subtracted for the setback of the head). Doing the math, and running it through a couple different tank volume calculators on the web that calculates to a couple gallons over 80. I did not make accommodation for the radius corners so it is probably right about 80.7. I decided to order the pump that goes to the VIN, or 60 gallon tank using the installed height numbers. Have a feeling HR replaced the 60 with an 80 gallon of their manufacture to utilize the OE pump.
Using the installed 15 inch height and known width of 27 inches it would only take a 45 inch long tank to be 80 gallons.
After I complete the whole circus, I'll post the results.

Dave
Old 08-19-2021, 12:03 AM   #9

Fuel pump failure while on the road can be expensive I just talked to a guy last week with a W24 after the towing, parts and labor he was out $1600.00
So many years ago I made my self this inline fuel pump kit that can quickly get me back on the road until I can replace the in tank pump.
We are pushing 70,000 miles on our 2005 W24 I wonder if there is a average mile mark where we should just go a head and replace it?

For the people that have already replaced there fuel pump how many miles did you have at the time of failure?
Here is my fuel pump back up plan see video below
ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
Okay, this is definitely one of those crazy coach builder did what they damn well please deals. Mr Gray provided me with the build sheet for the chassis as provided to Holiday Rambler, and it definitely shows it was delivered with RPO NN4 or 60 gallon fuel tank. I have measured the tank now multiple times with two different tape measures, and accounting for the 1/2 inch lip at both ends of the tank it is 13 in tall, 27 inches wide, and 53 inches long (52 when .5 inch per end is subtracted for the setback of the head). Doing the math, and running it through a couple different tank volume calculators on the web that calculates to a couple gallons over 80. I did not make accommodation for the radius corners so it is probably right about 80.7. I decided to order the pump that goes to the VIN, or 60 gallon tank using the installed height numbers. Have a feeling HR replaced the 60 with an 80 gallon of their manufacture to utilize the OE pump.
Using the installed 15 inch height and known width of 27 inches it would only take a 45 inch long tank to be 80 gallons.
After I complete the whole circus, I'll post the results.
Dave
I seriously doubt that any coach builder would have CHANGED the tank, because they could have ordered the chassis with which ever tank option they wanted to provide for the coaches.

MAYBE this will help. It is from the 2004 edition of the Chassis Guide published by WCC:
""starting with the 2000 & newer model year AND with WB 178" or longer, come standard with the 75 gallon tank, OPTIONAL 60 gallon on P32 only. P series with 158.8" WB come standard with 60 gallon, OPTIONAL 40 gallon.""

According to your build sheet, you have a 190" wheel base and the optional 60 gallon tank. I GUESS it is possible that the build sheet is wrong about you having the optional tank, but I doubt that too.

Please do let us know what you learn when you drop the tank and try to use the pump you have ordered.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #11

"Old mechanics have their tricks to get it done". I'll have to remember that. LOL
Old 08-19-2021, 08:58 AM   #12

realnicetent: Don't know how long you have owned it, but I guess it is also possible that a PO had to replace the tank for some reason, and used something other than was OE.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:13 PM   #13

ktoutoor " Fuel pump failure while on the road can be expensive I just talked to a guy last week with a W24 after the towing, parts and labor he was out $1600.00"

This is exactly why I made damn sure I have Road Service and Towing on my insurance, and I'm doing my own fuel pump module. the tow was zero out of pocket, and there is only 2 shops in the region I trust to do the job. One is the one I worked in and the other has been in RV repair for decades, and work on all parts of the coach including paint and body. I know both places have the equipment to handle the coaches weight, qualified personnel familiar with repairing the RV platform, and impeccable attention to detail and quality control.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:01 PM   #14

It's seems like that is harder and harder to come by these days.. RealNiceTent.. give a shout out to those two places and let us know their names and city.. many of us need a good place for service.. please tell us.. it would be nice to have a safe harbour to find repairs on the road..

Tags
need help