Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #1

Blown Fuses

I own a Southwind MH on workhorse W22 chassis w/8.1 Chev. engine. All of the sudden 20A stop/hazard fuse started blowing. When this happens, I have no brake lights, no cruise control and no aux. braking. Usually the ABS light comes on. When replacing the fuse sometimes it will last days and other times maybe a half a mile. I have checked the wiring harnesses grounds etc: Help!
b-u-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #2

Possibly a wire whose insulation is worn through and only touches some ground during traveling and is intermitant. Something has to be causing a short circuit. Maybe one of those lights you mentioned has a bad ground and puts extra load on the fuse. Sounds like it will be a tough one to find, but I would start with the lights. Good luck...Would like to know the cause when you find it...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #3

My first guess would be a bad ABS sensor at one of the wheels.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #4

Are you towing anything when the fuse blows?
It took me a long time to track mine down to a connection on the toad
KJINTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
X 2. Mine would blow the fuse when connecting the toad. Switching to a six pin connector from the original 4 pin on the toad fixed it.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #6

How would you go about testing for a short in the ASB sensor in a wheel?
b-u-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-u-d View Post
How would you go about testing for a short in the ABS sensor in a wheel?
b-u-d, I do not expect that your issue is related to an ABS sensor in the wheel. In order to test the sensors a Tech II instrument is used to scan all the sensors. I had the same problem and I would look for a fault in the lighting circuits. It could be a bad bulb or something more easily diagnosed and obvious. I would try to duplicate the event while you are standing if that is possible rather than while you are going down the road. Have someone in the back of the vehicle identifying which lights are working and which are not. Connect the car and repeat the process looking not only for whether the bulbs lights but the brilliance as well.

The ABS light being lit could simply indicate an out of adjustment sensor or bad sensor. Have not read anything about a bad sensor blowing a fuse.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
One other thing to check would be the female trailer connector. If there wasn't any non-conductive grease put on those wire connections they can rust and short out. I've seen it happen a couple times.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #9

A trick we use to find sneaky short circuits in the AutoPark system - - Buy several inline fuse holders and install them on individual components or circuits in the system. Hopefully, the bad component will pop the inline and then you know where to look. Use fuse sizes that you think will just operate the individual components. Real heavy fuses will defeat the experiment.