Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bosch brake division sold

Crain's Detroit Business reported the closing of the sale of Bosch North American Brake division yesterday. I wonder how this will effect the voluntary brake recall

Mike
mfire1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here are some of the particulars....
"The Bosch Group closed the sale of its foundation brake manufacturing business to Tokyo-based Akebono Brake Industry, according to a Bosch statement.

The deal includes Bosch assets to manufacture corner modules, drum brakes, disc brakes, brake calipers and other components, which generated $580 million in revenue in 2009, according to the statement. Terms were not disclosed.

Brake caliper assembly and component machining work will be pulled from Bosch’s plant in St. Joseph’s, Mich. About 190 UAW-represented hourly and corporate salaried employees work at the plant, but the number of jobs to be lost is unknown, according to Becky MacDonald, Bosch’s corporate communications director in Farmington Hills.

About 110 employees at the Robert Bosch L.L.C. headquarters in Farmington Hills work in the sold brake business units. MacDonald says some of those employees will be hired by Akebono, some will transfer to other units within Bosch and some will lose their jobs. "
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamerman View Post
Here are some of the particulars....
Very interesting ....
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:57 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
Crain's Detroit Business reported the closing of the sale of Bosch North American Brake division yesterday. I wonder how this will effect the voluntary brake recall

Mike
Ive kept my nose out of this discussion as I have only conjecture ( a dirty word it seems) to offer, but allow me this please.. We have seen 3 players in this, Winnebago, Bosch, and the NTASB, ( or whatever, its early ). Most of the anger, and displeasure has been directed at WH for not "Gettin it done".. tho Bosch really holds the $$ cards. If times were great, maybe WH would have stepped up, paid the bill, and gone after Bosch, but times aren't great, $$ is not laying around, so $$ directly from Bosch is critical. I have been somewhat confused by what seems to me ( based on 25 years experience in the Auto service field, lube rack to Service Mgr. prior life, thrice removed) to be a program designed to "win the battle, lose the war".. Do what is the bare minimum to get the NTASB off their back, absolutly nothing more, and who cares if everyone is mad.. I guarantee you that there are going to be a large number of unhappy WH customers at the end of this deal, when they are handed a large bill by the servicing dealer, so these are going to be mad at WH when its Bosch poorboying the deal. I've wondered why no one at Bosch seemd to care, (keeping WH customers happy) but now that its no longer their deal, I see why. IMO, Bosch should also replace the pads, resurface the rotors, and do a complete job. The added cost for the pads and rotor resurface would add a small percentage to their wholesale cost of the job, but when the customer gets tagged for retail for these itms, He aint gonna be happy. Some dealers will price this work at "combination" prices, but alot will T off on the customer, belive me... WH is hoping that they can say to NEW customers " Bosch brakes, naw, we got rid of those, this babys got "Okebono Brakes on it, the best there is"...I'll get off the line here, hope this post stays, 'cause as a dingy old Aunt of mine used to say, "Its all clearing up for me now"....rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hate to say it but it seems like a new trend these days "buy out" and forget pass mistakes and people with them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to gonzo
Hey guy's. This probbaly does not change anything for us.

First of all here is the Link to the report:

Bosch Group sells brake manufacturing business - Detroit News and Information - Crain's Detroit Business

So now this article does say: Bosch’s anti-lock brake, electronic brake systems, brake actuation and commercial-truck brake assets were excluded from the purchase.

As far as I know our chassis are COMMERCIAL TRUCKS, with COMMERCIAL TRUCK BRAKES. Therfore our brakes are still handled by BOSCH.
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hope you're right!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I am wondering if it matters if Bosch sold the assets of the business. Bosch America is still in business. As such, aren't they liable for their own issues? It doesn't matter who owns the assets now. It matters who sold the products to Workhorse.

Monaco was a different story. There is no one left to go after. The original business is gone.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not sure why Workhorse hasn't stepped up to it's customers to explain what impact, if any, this sale will have on the recall. There seems to be some expectations set for action before or right after the end of year. I would hope our W/H representatives are pursuing this information for the community and pass it on when available.