Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2023, 08:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
As the axle moves away from or closer to the chassis, the radius of the leaf spring changes (one end of the leaf is usually fixed while the other end floats).
The caliper is right next to the U bolts. That part of the spring does not move when lifting the chassis.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2023, 04:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The caliper is right next to the U bolts. That part of the spring does not move when lifting the chassis.
👍

So this an error in design?

I’ve never seen a box end torque wrench. Nor have I serviced that many rear calipers on leaf sprung vehicles (have always used my calibrated feel for torque for pretty much everything but MoHo lug nuts and engine rebuilds).
Old 04-02-2023, 04:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
[emoji106]

So this an error in design?

I’ve never seen a box end torque wrench. Nor have I serviced that many rear calipers on leaf sprung vehicles (have always used my calibrated feel for torque for pretty much everything but MoHo lug nuts and engine rebuilds).
And that wouldn't be the first time that happened.

They make box end heads that plug into torque wrench, but like you I torque most stuff by 55 years of wrenching.
I real torque wrench is for engine rebuilding.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 06:32 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

They make box end heads that plug into torque wrench, but like you I torque most stuff by 55 years of wrenching.
Yeah, and leaf spring u-bolts!
Old 04-03-2023, 07:33 AM   #19

Quote:

61 years here not counting the years before I was old enough to start working in a gas station where we did various mechanical repairs. I worked at three auto dealerships before I went into business for my self which accounted for the last 36 years. The last 20 years of my career I also owned an automotive machine shop where we built and rebuilt engines of all types and sizes plus other operations.
While torque values are generally set for different size fasteners one thing a lot of folks don't take into consideration is the strength or grade of a bolt or fastener. You will find the torque specs are normally higher for a grade 8 bolt than a grade 2 bolt even if they are the same diameter. Then of course we got into those torque to yield stretch one time use bolts where an outlined procedure must be followed to achieve the proper tightening.
All threads on a bolt and the threads of what the bolt is being screwed into must be clean and the threads should have a lube applied in most cases. A binding thread will give a false torque reading.
After a while you get a feel for how tight a bolt should be. In some cases you use the torque specs as a guide but a "darn good'n" torque will work. I never had things fall apart because I left a bolt, nut or screw loose. I've had instances where I've had to cut down an Allen or Torx socket just to be able to R&R a caliper bolt. No way are you going to get a torque wrench in a position to tighten some of these bolts.
Again, in the case of a rear axle with a backing plate and a brake bracket and caliper solidly attached to it is going to move up and down with the axle no matter how high you lift the frame the springs are attached to.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:06 AM   #20

I’ll have to go look at my W22 chassis after while.

I had the caliper recall done on it a couple of years ago - kinda wish I coulda hung out at the shop that did it - I might have learned something.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:57 AM   #21

Good-n-Tight

The problem with the “good-n-tight” method of torquing a fastener is that it is too dependent of on:
- The length of wrench used
- The obstructions from the rest of the vehicle
- Your angle of attack
This is why I use a torque wrench whenever possible. Can’t get the torque wrench in there or the spec was written by a summer engineering intern student that didn’t know a wrench from his elbow, then it is back to the “good-n-tight” method.
Old 04-10-2023, 07:59 AM   #22

Hint

I have successfully completed the brake caliper pin clean and lube job. One hint that I should pass along….

To gain the most access possible to the top rear caliper bolt, fully depress the caliper pistons first. I used two 8” C-clamps to compress the pistons evenly.

Access was not a problem on the rest of the caliper bolts. For the bottom rear bolts I used a normal socket and a 1/2" breaker bar. The front calipers had enough room to use an impact wrench.

Tags
brake, removal