Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2022, 03:07 PM   #1

Brake issues

Hi everyone Iím Becca,

I just bought my first motor home to say the least there have been some issues.
To make a long story short, I am broke down 800 miles from home. The garage my mh was towed to has no experience with rvís. My brakes arenít working they went to places the pads, they were all new. Even though the master cylinder was new they replaced it anyway. ( technically a friend of mine was doing the work) anyway. They bench bled the master cylinder. Manually bled the brakes and bled the power system. I still have no brakes. The mechanic who is working on this currently is asking for a detailed chart of the brake system. Itís a 97 fleetwood bounder. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and or where I can find the schematics for the brake system?

Thank you for the help, Becca
BeccaJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2022, 03:16 PM   #2

What CHASSIS? That will determine the brake system.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:18 PM   #3

It’s a Chevy chassis? 97 fleetwood bounder
Old 09-30-2022, 03:40 PM   #4

Welcome to irv2. Sorry your first post is about a problem!

You're really stuck, since you cannot drive without good brakes. Do you know what chassis your Bounder is built on?

I will hazard a guess that there is a hydraulic pump for both the power steering and the power brakes. Other than that, it's a completely conventional system such as would be found in a car. If it's not leaking somewhere, you have air in the system or there is a problem with the brake booster. Does the power steering work normally?

Going only by your description, I would be hesitant to have whoever has been working on it continue. Is there a truck shop nearby that can take it? You would need to have it towed, of course, but it might be worth it to get experienced eyes and hands on it.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:24 PM   #5

I have no other option on this and yes they have bled both systems, the hydro boost is in line with the power steering. It sounds like my last option is to replace the the hydro boost?
Old 09-30-2022, 05:02 PM   #6

If the hydroboost dies you'll have a very hard brake pedal, as in no power brakes at all. The pedal almost won't move.They'll still work but you'll have to stand on them. If the pedal goes to the floor then the master cylinder isn't working or there's still lots of air in the lines or is badly leaking. That's a lot of brake line to bleed and if they're used to cars they simply may not be bleeding long enough. Hand bleed, not vacuum bleed. There's nothing special about an RV, it's a Chevy truck chassis, P30 I think.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:19 PM   #7

Ask them if the brake bleeders are on top of the calipers.

If swapped side to side, they could be wrong and you'll never bleed then right.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:47 AM   #8

I’ll let my mechanic know he did hand bleed. They replaced the master cylinder even though the other looked new. The brakes are just mush. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:48 AM   #9

I’m not sure I understand this but I’ll speak to my mechanic in the morning I hope.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:16 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
If pedal is must, then air in system is probably your issue.

A MH chassis can be hard to bleed. If your guy has a pressure bleeder it'll make quick work of it.

Another way is to back bleed it.
Take lid off master cylinder, fill a very clean oil pump type can with brake fluid, put a rubber or clear hose on end of oil can to bleeder, open bleeder and pump the fluid into the caliper bleeder. ...keep oil can full of fluid. This will use more fluid, but it works on pushing air back up and out at the master cylinder.

I've had to bleed some hard to bleed system this way.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
If pedal is must, then air in system is probably your issue.

The other cause can be the flexible brake hoses that connect chassis metal lines to the calipers. Check to make sure they don't "expand/balloon" when the pedal is pushed/brakes applied.

If those brake hoses are original just replace them. After 25 years, they don't owe you anything.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:57 AM   #12

Yes, replace all rubber hoses.

Tags
brake