Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Brake noise chev P32 chassis

Coming back from Nevada last May I noticed a brake noise. Kinda sounds like metal to metal and more pronounced when I get down towards the end of my stop. Can't really hear it at higher speeds while braking.
Noise sounds to be coming from he left front. After taking a look It appeared that I had plenty of pad left, the Rotors looked OK. Only had a chance to do a few short trips this summer but the noise never changed of worsened.
Got ambitious this last weekend. Pulled the calipers and put new pads on. Everything looked normal, left side pads were about 50% right side pads were about 75% but after putting in the new pads I still have the same noise.

Is this type of noise normal on the P32's or is there something that I'm overlooking?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
What year and mileage does your P32 have? Ever done any service to the front bearings?

I wounder if you're hearing a bearing noise?

"Kinda sounds like metal to metal and more pronounced when I get down towards the end of my stop."

Typically, the front of our RV's nose-dive at the end of a stop -- transferring weight to the front and putting more pressure on the bearings. In a safe area I'd try a couple of hard stops and listen for a change in noise; if it gets louder, then it may be a bad front bearing.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan17 View Post
Coming back from Nevada last May I noticed a brake noise. Kinda sounds like metal to metal and more pronounced when I get down towards the end of my stop. Can't really hear it at higher speeds while braking.
Noise sounds to be coming from he left front. After taking a look It appeared that I had plenty of pad left, the Rotors looked OK. Only had a chance to do a few short trips this summer but the noise never changed of worsened.
Got ambitious this last weekend. Pulled the calipers and put new pads on. Everything looked normal, left side pads were about 50% right side pads were about 75% but after putting in the new pads I still have the same noise.

Is this type of noise normal on the P32's or is there something that I'm overlooking?
when you changed the pads , did you use brake squeal preventer ?
caplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRV4FUN View Post
What year and mileage does your P32 have? Ever done any service to the front bearings?

I wounder if you're hearing a bearing noise?

"Kinda sounds like metal to metal and more pronounced when I get down towards the end of my stop."

Typically, the front of our RV's nose-dive at the end of a stop -- transferring weight to the front and putting more pressure on the bearings. In a safe area I'd try a couple of hard stops and listen for a change in noise; if it gets louder, then it may be a bad front bearing.
My MH has 39,000 miles.
I would think that a bearing would make noise as it is rolling. I only get the noise when braking. I haven't noticed any change with a hard or soft stop. With the wheel in the air it spins freely and no noise.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caplad View Post
when you changed the pads , did you use brake squeal preventer ?
None was supplied with the pads. The new pads did have a thin shim on the pad backing metal that I believe is an anti squeal material. My old pads did not have the shim.

In doing pads on my other vehicles I would have to peel and stick the anti squeal material and apply It to the metal pad backing.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:24 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan17 View Post
None was supplied with the pads. The new pads did have a thin shim on the pad backing metal that I believe is an anti squeal material. My old pads did not have the shim.

In doing pads on my other vehicles I would have to peel and stick the anti squeal material and apply It to the metal pad backing.
You can buy it in a separate bottle .
My Rv makes the same noise also . I just got it with 6,500 miles on it . Next spring I plan on applying it to the pads .
caplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #7

are you sure the brake noise isn't coming from the parking brake? You may not hear it at speed, but would be more noticeable as you slow down.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
are you sure the brake noise isn't coming from the parking brake? You may not hear it at speed, but would be more noticeable as you slow down.
Noise only happens when braking.

Tags
chassis, brake