Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2009, 04:29 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brake pads

Hi guys,
I was thinking once the recall gets started later this year I want to replace the front pads, I'm thinnking it's gonna be apart anyway and then I wont have to think about brakes for a very long time.
Is one brand preferred over another ??
For example are "Metallic" available ??
(I want to buy the absolute best I can get)
Where can I purchase brake pads for the Workhorse ??

2003 Pace Arrow 36R
Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Check my web site.. Workhorse Brake Parts
Old 08-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
Gregg, We were speaking earlier about having all of that stuff done at the same time Workhorse installs the new calipers. This will save you a lot of time and effort to have everything done all at once. They will also be able to evaluate the condition of your rotors and machine or replace those as required.

I am going out on a limb, I am a mechanic that can do brakes jobs BTW however that said I would just as soon have all the brake work done all at once including hoses and sensors.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
Check my web site.. Workhorse Brake Parts
73mm or 66mm????? What was installed OEM?
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
As far as I know they fit either. Google the part numbers and see who/whom sells them in your area.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:42 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
Hi guys,
I was thinking once the recall gets started later this year I want to replace the front pads, I'm thinnking it's gonna be apart anyway and then I wont have to think about brakes for a very long time.
Is one brand preferred over another ??
For example are "Metallic" available ??
(I want to buy the absolute best I can get)
i am probably going to use premium semi metallic or ceramic pads from:
brakeperformance.com. i may also use their slotted and drilled rotors.
that url didn't work right. will try agin.
brakeperformance.com/site/index.php?ad=direct
the second url works, but you have to put in the http and www stuff. i don't know why it didn't copy and paste right.
i got that url from a post on this site yesterday. the prices seem reasonable.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:40 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer, I do plan on having the pads replaced at the time of the recall service, I just wanted to have the correct / best pads with me at the time of service.

"73mm or 66mm" I was unaware there were two different thickness.
Is one preferred ??

2003 Pace Arrow 36R
Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:51 AM   #8
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
Dan, I would think twice about considering ceramic pads on a m/h with all that weight. I have a '03 Ford 4-door Super Duty which is loaded down with a fuel tank and a lot of tools. I put the ceramics on the front twice. Both times after about 5,000 miles or so developed hard spots on the rotors, which cause unpleasant braking. I even bought new drilled and slotted rotors when I put the second set on and it still didn't matter, just my thought...
Old 08-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWT View Post
Dan, I would think twice about considering ceramic pads on a m/h with all that weight. I have a '03 Ford 4-door Super Duty which is loaded down with a fuel tank and a lot of tools. I put the ceramics on the front twice. Both times after about 5,000 miles or so developed hard spots on the rotors, which cause unpleasant braking. I even bought new drilled and slotted rotors when I put the second set on and it still didn't matter, just my thought...
jwt,
thanks for your input. i have heard this before. i guess it has to do with the weight. per the brakeperformance website, their semi-metallic pads have a higher coefficient of friction than their ceramic pads.
i have ceramic pads on my 02 altima and they work very well, but it only weighs 3200#.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I would just go with the stuff that's supposed to go on there. I'm sure we'll do just fine. I don't believe that there's any need or imperative to improve the performance of the brake components from how they came from the factory. Performance parts have a place "IF" you run your motorhome outside of its performance envelope. If not I'd go with the stock components.

My brakes work very well tney way they are and I am very pleased to have them.

Just remember to continue to do preventative maintenance. You take care of your brakes and your brakes will take care of you.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote