Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for your input.
Does this coach have the same E brake issues locking up that I have been reading about. Sounds like the E brake is a real safety issue. I see the have been converted tha manual set up as well as a complete redesign.
41pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41pu View Post
Thanks for your input.
Does this coach have the same E brake issues locking up that I have been reading about. Sounds like the E brake is a real safety issue. I see the have been converted to manual set up as well as a complete redesign.
Yes, the P32 chassis has the AutoPark which required some knowledge to ensure it is working and to identify issues before they 'lock up'.
When the AutoPark is working it works fine. I've never had an issue with my 1999 Workhorse chassis.
I did install the 'Genie Lamps' that monitors the system.
Basically, it is a hydraulic system - no hydraulic pressure and springs put the parking brake on. Put the RV in gear (with the manual knob off) and a pump runs for 3 to 5 seconds building pressure to pull the brake off.
The problem occurs if the system leaks and/or a sensor switch fails. If you monitor these and carry a spare you can replace the switch in 1/2 hr and be on your way again.
Like I said, I monitor mine with a Genie Lamp and it has never failed.
Some of the early P32s ran the AutoPark off the power steering pump. I personally would avoid that system - I don't know what years it changed over to the dedicated pump.
In SB1's post there is a good description:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/auto-...de-133614.html
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:54 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the features of the W-22 is this: The ABS Light stays on. Sadly I've given up on mine,, thankfully I took driver's training several decades before ABS.

How to possibly fix.

Go below and find the wires that go to someting that is attached to the brake backing plate.. Twisting slightly back and forth pull this cylinder out of the brake assembly.. Clean it off, clean out the tube (this is the part I always forget and I just, in fact, thought of) and re-insert.

Do this on all 4.

That may fix it

Oh, what is the cylinder... That is the ABS sensor.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
One of the features of the W-22 is this: The ABS Light stays on.
I'm not sure why you chose to make such a statement, especially in light of the fact the recent posts are about a P32, but what you wrote just isn't true, as written.

The ABS light being on is NOT a "feature" of the W-22, or any other chassis that I'm aware of. Rather, the light being on is a warning that there is a problem with the ABS system and the operator may not have the benefit of that system.

IMO, to imply otherwise is doing a dis-service to people who may think you are saying the ABS light is supposed to be "on" if they have a W-22, because that certainly is not true.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #19

I recently purchased a 2004 Winnebago Brave 32ft. with 50,000 miles. the vin # is 5B4MP67G543390283 can someone tell me if the brake recall has been done? I would think with that mileage it would have been taken care of. The brake pads look very good but who knows? thanks Dave
Hogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster View Post
I recently purchased a 2004 Winnebago Brave 32ft. with 50,000 miles. the vin # is 5B4MP67G543390283 can someone tell me if the brake recall has been done? I would think with that mileage it would have been taken care of. The brake pads look very good but who knows? thanks Dave
Dave , Welcome to iRV2.
I don't think that anyone here in the forums has access to the recall information you're after. I think you will have to call a local GMC dealer and ask who you should contact for the information.
My brother-in-laws 2005 W22 chassis had a recall on the recall, so best to get the information you need direct from the shop that's going to have to do the work if it hasn't been done.

EDIT: sorry I wrote this before reading all the posts on page 1. If Ultra RV Tech, doesn't reply you may have to phone him.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #21

there is a unit like your at a rv you pull it junk yard but its a few hrs away from you ... i just seen this unit a few weeks ago and all ABS and brake parts are still there ..

if you need any big high cost parts i would go there and get what you need
even the ABS unit is still inside it
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #22

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Yes all recalls have been performed on your new RV.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429842378.807505.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	92395
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:54 PM   #23

Thank you Ultra RV Tech for your reply. I appreciate your help.
Dave
Hogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:25 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
This post seems to have turned into a general brake issue question thread so I'd like to ask a question also.
I have a 2004 W22 and the brake recall was performed 9/2008 and the front caliper were replaced. Last week on a trip to Utah we were driving on a slight downhill and I couldn't get any speed. I had the pedal to the floor and max speed was 50MPH. I thought we were fighting a big headwind but realized there wasn't much of a wind. I pulled over to see if the toad had a brake problem but found nothing. The toad wheels were cool to the touch and the MH wheels were cool also. There was no smell of hot brake either. Got back on the road and everything was normal again.
Pulled the left rear tires when we got home to do some other work and noticed two cracks in the outside disc of the rotor and the outside pads are much more worn than the inside pad. Main question is, are the rear calipers part of the recall and are they still covered under the recall? I plan on calling my workhorse service center on Monday but thought I'd get some input before making the call.

By the way have 59,000 miles now, the recall was done at 27,000 miles.
Vin# 5B4MP67G443381266
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:35 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Belgian,are you sure the rear calipers are the original ones? When I had mine done in august 2013 I was told by workhorse repair center that all 4 calipers were recalled and would be replaced. Also included was an inspection of pads and rotors - any sign of overheating they would contact Workhorse and request additional parts. There was no sign of overheating on mine but I did get them to bleed the brakes.
Please let us know what workhorse says.

Jim
Old 05-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
This post seems to have turned into a general brake issue question thread so I'd like to ask a question also.
I have a 2004 W22 and the brake recall was performed 9/2008 and the front caliper were replaced. ......
Pulled the left rear tires when we got home to do some other work and noticed two cracks in the outside disc of the rotor and the outside pads are much more worn than the inside pad. Main question is, are the rear calipers part of the recall and are they still covered under the recall? I plan on calling my workhorse service center on Monday but thought I'd get some input before making the call.

By the way have 59,000 miles now, the recall was done at 27,000 miles.
Vin# 5B4MP67G443381266
Stephen:
YES, all four calipers were supposed to be replaced by the recall. HOWEVER, the dates you posted causes me to wonder IF you got ANY new calipers because the recall to replace them was not in effect in 2008.

Here is how you can determine if you have the "new" calipers designed to correct the problem:

On June 4
th 2010, the Bosch 2x66mm MHT caliper transitioned from 29502 to 29502B piston

material, a larger piston to bore clearance (PTBC) of 0.01”, and a 0.004” increased seal squeeze.
Calipers were also plated before machining, leaving the machined surfaces, such as the caliper
ears and caliper leg faces that contact the outer shoe plate un-plated. The new calipers can be
identified via the caliper assembly date code, by the letter “B” molded into the bottom of the
piston, or by the lack of plating on the caliper ear or caliper leg surfaces.
The caliper assembly date code is etched into the part just below the cast in casting part number
4153269 as shown below.
The first date code was 0155A.

First character represents the year:
9.0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8. - Thus, the digit “9” represents 2009;

0==2000 or 2010, etc. First character to repeat each decade.
The second, third, and fourth characters represent the day of the year.

If you don't see a date code, as described above, STAMPED into the caliper just below the casting number then you don't have the correct calipers. Your Workhorse ASC will be the final authority, but I would certainly take a look before taking it in.

Send me a PM with your email address if you want more info specific to your chassis.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
You're correct Ed, the recall was performed on 11/18/2010. based on the sticker the dealer installed. I was looking (incorrectly) at an invoice for other brake work that was performed due to smoking of the lt ft brakes. That basically turned out to be 'we checked it and it's ok today'
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote