Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #16
BDJ

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well George I see a post from Max49 is now present before your post. It wasn't present before, possibly being edited by Route 66 at the time. Probably the post you were making reference to?

Like my 15 year old daughter says "I hate it when one person ruins it for the whole class."
Old 01-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally posted by BDJ:
Well George I see a post from Max49 is now present before your post. It wasn't present before, possibly being edited by Route 66 at the time. Probably the post you were making reference to?

Like my 15 year old daughter says "I hate it when one person ruins it for the whole class."
ok, i see now. thought someone was mad over what i said. seems like max49 speaks for himself only, just like i speak for myself only. and seems kind of odd that someone complains about all the pages and all the messages about brakes, yet his name is listed a lot, like others. since i'm new, maybe someone can explain why people complain here about other people over and over and people like max saying the same things over and over dont seem to make him feel any better either. its like watching a really stupid movie all the way through and then complaining how bad the movie is, when you can watch something else if you want to. but max can say whatever he wants, i don't care just kind of funny. guess i'll learn more after being here some more time
Old 01-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All,

Maybe this is a dump question, but why did the thread closed. Without this thread I would not have been so informed whether it is Workhorse, Bosch or whoever knowledge is power. It seems pretty petty that we can not all be adults and just exchange information and not so much destructive opinions.

2005 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS (W-22)
Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 AM   #19

After being towed in for repair twice for the power parking brake Driver and others on here told me it was the P32 chasis and that the W series chasis was a totally diferent animal.

Replaced Workhorse with Ford in 2006 and 25000 miles later not a single problem,..NOT ONE.

I see that brakes are still a problem as is the instrument panel.

Looking to buy another motorhome and it won't be on a workhorse..... They just don't get it.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:42 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I could be wrong but I believe
Quote:
but he runs the show here, so he's gonna win folks
is way off the WH brake issue and getting personal. I need the brake issue information more than most as I have had 3 calipers and rotors replaced. (Why was the fourth not effected?) I weigh all brake issue informational comments regardless of who makes the statement to try and address my situation. If anyone doesn't appreciate information someone else has posted, I don't care. If you aren't going to post information to disprove a statement, or add more facts to the topic than don't get personal. That will only close the topic I am sifting for pertinent information.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:06 AM   #21
BDJ

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just looked at it as his way of saying Drivers a moderator here and can close a thread when he sees it getting out of hand. Just how I took it.
Brakes, I understand that Ford is now using Bosch Brakes. I couldn't find anything on their web site to confirm this. Does any one know if this is true. If so, what year did they start using them and are they the same calipers used by WH. It would be good to know before we attend the RV show in a couple weeks.

If Ford does use the same Bosch calipers it will be interesting to see if they are included in any recall if the NHTSA requires one.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally posted by BDJ:
I just looked at it as his way of saying Drivers a moderator here and can close a thread when he sees it getting out of hand. Just how I took it.
Brakes, I understand that Ford is now using Bosch Brakes. I couldn't find anything on their web site to confirm this. Does any one know if this is true. If so, what year did they start using them and are they the same calipers used by WH. It would be good to know before we attend the RV show in a couple weeks.

If Ford does use the same Bosch calipers it will be interesting to see if they are included in any recall if the NHTSA requires one.
thanks bdj thats what i mean. not taking anyone to task here, just saying that the driver can end the messages when he wants, so he's in charge and it looks like he stops the messages here in the brake threads a lot. i think its his company so owners can do that.

the best answer so far is the guy who sold his coach and bought a ford but alot of guys cannt do that since i'm on a fixed income. anothe guy in the other brake messages said don't drive i to much until they fix the problem but i still worry that my brakes will burn up and 3500 dollars to fix is a lot of money to me and my warranty is over now.i'm hoping for a recall fix to.

funny thing is i ride a harley and folks like to kid me about breaking down but it doesnt happen really and motorcyces don't have these brake problems. biggest problem is flat tires on weekends and no one to fix it no spare!.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:13 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by BDJ

BDJ, it has not been established on this forum, or elsewhere that the Bosch calipers are in fact the problem with the brakes on the Workhorse chassis. I personally do not look for much help from Workhorse in this or any other matter once a chassis is out of warranty. Just my opinion. About the only way would be if the federal government ordered a recall thru NHTSA. At any rate the problem will not be fixed here on this forum, by me or by the flaming of DriVer or any other participant here. Again, just my opinion, and I, like everyone, else is entitled to one.

Dieselclacler
Old 01-25-2009, 04:41 AM   #24
BDJ

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I didn't say the calipers were the problem, only that it will be interesting to see if Ford (if they are using the same calipers)are included in any recall the NHTSA requires of the calipers, if in fact there is a recall. My warrenty is expired and I don't expect any help from WH unless the NHTSA requires a recall. Sounds like we're on the same page there.

My questions about Ford using Bosch brakes is purely to educate myself before attanding the RV show in Minneapolis in a couple weeks. It will be interesting to see what kind of deals will be offered at the show as dealers and manufactures try to move their products.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:55 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several threads back, a couple contributors and myself commented on pressure build up in the master cylinder reservoir, noticed when the cap was removed. I still believe that this has something to do with the problems. There have been a few explanations but I know there was a pressure release when I opened the cap. I assume that any pressure in the reservoir will create a slight brake drag which would create a brake heat up. This should create overheating that probably created cracked rotors and ruined calipers and pads. The pressure I found was not the amount I would think I could create by stepping on the brake pedal but possibly enough to create slight dragging by one or more of the easiest working calipers. This may start the chain of events.
The incident is my observation but the balance of this message is my opinion. How and why there was some pressure in the master cylinder reservoir is the question I have and is the chain of events I described possible.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:55 AM   #26

I have also experienced the pressure build up in the reservoir on three occasions. I check the fluid level before each trip. The pressure is not there every time, but only three times in 15 months. I have changed the brake fluid twice in two years and just last week had the pressure build up again.
No brake problems in 40K miles but i sure hate having to worry about it.
Steve

2006 Windsor PRT
Old 01-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by George Z:
I could be wrong but I believe <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> but he runs the show here, so he's gonna win folks
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> I wrote the owner but didnt get any response back. What was I thinking? These moderaters are not going to close any threads without his blessing. BUT, there are lots of avenues we can use to inform the folks out there about this issue with the brakes and the way its being handled here.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm just an old shade tree mechanic so I asked about the pressure. As it was explained to me the diaphram under the cap are to flex and compensate for use or expansion of the fluid.Years ago the master cylinder was vented but now the diaphram just looks like it has a vent split in the center. If pressure is building under the cap then I believe something is not working correctly. If the calipers are working correctly, a minimun amout of pressuer will make them move and start dragging.
I believe the pressure in the cylinder must be alleivated somehow. Maybe a more flexable diaphram or an external vent that doesn't allow moisture in when a vacumn is created by stepping on the pedal and expanding the caliper pistons.
I might be 100% wrong but ABS systems (fuses have been pulled), bad brake hose interiors (only 3 out of 4 on my unit) , and corroded calipers and slide pins (although some dry SW units have had problems) are not the cause of the brake problems.
For now I will continue here, reading stated facts, suggestions for solving the problem, and service recommendations from all contributorsand try and skip reading the flaming and finger pointing.
Closed Thread