Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #449

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do we know how many have filed a complaint with NHTSB?

(I hate to do this but can we please not bring up talk regarding litigative action on iRV2 against any manufacturer or supplier. There are other resources better suited other than this website for legal matters.)

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #450

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer ALARM, (DANGER WILL ROBERSON DANGER) DriVer come to the rescue SOMEONE has uttered the words CAS.
Show him the error in his way. LOL........TENN.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #451

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Hey TENN......that comment must have gotten Lost in Space!!

Bob
Old 09-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #452

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Disconnecting or otherwise purposefully disabling the ABS system because it seems to be the right thing to do does not sit well with me.
Me neither but only because we have'nt had our brakes overheat.
If I did have a problem and the shop did'nt know what caused it, I would most definitly try it. At least then, if it does it again, you'll know it's not he ABS sensor.
You probably will never notice ABS if you don't drive in freezing weather anyway.
Denver, Colorado
Old 09-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #453
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by rickandcheryl:
THEY ARE REAL!
rickandcheryl, I didn't think that we needed to turn the discussion into a hollering contest.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 09-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #454
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Tenn.Vol.:
Show him the error in his way.
Tenn, Looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short.

I'm pretty busy getting a rally together. So far we have 95 rigs in the park - all Workhorse.

Make that 96.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:56 PM   #455

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
today, i received an email from workhorse touting the new avanti chassis.
it linked to the workhorse website.
i couldn't find any mention of brake problems on the w20 or w22 chassis.
my moho apparently had a problem with a lockup situation before i bought it. my understanding is that a mobile mechanic released the pressure via the bleeder valve on 1 or more wheels. this occurred at approx 5,000 miles. i bought it at 7800 miles, about 2 years ago. the mobile mechanic told me that the brake problem had been fixed by workhorse.
i have paperwork that shows that a recall service was accomplished shortly after the brake lockup. from what i can determine this "service" amounted to an inspection with everything found to be ok. it is doubtful that they replaced the brake fluid. they did not even install the bellcrank grease fitting, although they recommended it. this "inspection" was accomplished during the warranty period.
a little while ago, i submitted a question to workhorse about resolving the brake problems before someone is killed.
it would be good for you folks that have actually experienced problems with your brakes to post on the workhorse site as well nitza.
i talked to an rv service man at the portland rv show last week. he said that he is not aware of any systematic brake problems, only isolated failures. he told me that the honey like substance that is stuck to my master cylinder cap and floating on top of the brake fluid is caused by overheated brake fluid.
it is very frustrating for me trying to figure out a coarse of action to take before heading for california for the holidays.
this forum has surely helped me a lot. if i had read it before purchasing my moho, i would have bought something else. thats for sure.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
Old 09-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #456
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by DAN L:
he told me that the honey like substance that is stuck to my master cylinder cap and floating on top of the brake fluid is caused by overheated brake fluid..
Dan L., Would you kindly tell the RV technician that we have already discussed this several times here on iRV2 and we disagree. You can find the skim coat in brand new master cylinders with no miles to speak of on the odometer.

The skim coat comes from a preservative lubricant that is used internally in the brake system and it does not affect the performance of the braking system, it just floats on top of the DOT3 fluid in the Hydro-Max master cylinder reservoir.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #457

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by hamguy:
Nhtsa site states over 3000 reports if Im reading it correctly( if not Im sure I will be corrected). That # looks to be almost a yaer old so I dont know what the tally would be today. I am going to call NHTSA because it doesnt look like they are doing anything.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:41 AM   #458
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by jdsr:Nhtsa site states over 3000 reports if Im reading it correctly( if not Im sure I will be corrected)..
jdsr, could you please provide me with a link to that resource that you were referencing. Thanks

I recall reviewing a number of the reports that were repetitive and quoting the same dates and type of failure from the same person. I could only quess they have a hard time putting up their original report or they were deliberately jacking up the count.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #459

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by hamguy:

(I hate to do this but can we please not bring up talk regarding litigative action on iRV2 against any manufacturer or supplier. There are other resources better suited other than this website for legal matters.)
And could you please tell me just what those "resources better suited" would be?

I have a direct interest since I am a lawyer and one who has spent over $4000 on this issue.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 09-26-2008, 09:22 AM   #460

Here's an update to my post on August 26 about my rear brakes on a 2004 WH-20 chassis:

2 ABS speed sensors
2 Calipers and slide pin assemblies
2 Rotors
2 Axle seals
4 Brake pads

Total: $1,641.63

I picked it up today and it purrs like a kitten and stops on a dime. I only hope it stays this way for a long, long, time. Have fun out there!

td104
Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #461

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I reported my W22 brake problem earlier in the week and received a Confirmation Number to use for reviewing the complaint online. I checked it earlier to day to make sure it had posted correctly. Well, after some searching around on the site, I came up with this Defective Investigations Summary, NHTSA Investigation of W22 Brakes
The Summary referenced above does state: "THIS INVESTIGATION HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO AN ENGINEERING ANALYSIS TO FURTHER STUDY THE FREQUENCY AND SCOPE OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT:. Hopefully this means there is some progress being made. Maybe they will move things forward quickly so that something can be done before we are either too old to drive and enjoy our RV's or go broke from having to fix this problem...over and over and over.....

Oh well, at least it appears to be a step in the right direction.

One thing that does concern me is whether or not all the complaints are being correctly registered. By this I mean, you can report the problem as being attached to your main vehicle, a Winnebago vehicle or as being a part of a component of the Workhorse chassis which, IMHO, is a component of the Winnebago vehicle. Shouldn't SOME pressure be brought on Winnebago for help with this problem. Afterall, we didn't buy all these components separately but as part of a package from Winnebago. I know a lot of things, microwave, A/C, fridge, tires, batteries, etc are covered by their separate warranties but if one of these items fails and the maker of this component doesn't stand behind it, Winnebago is certainly going to be made aware of the performance of their supplier and I would expect, at the least, they would put pressure on them to make things right. (Off Soapbox Now)

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Old 09-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #462

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by Capt Joe:

The Summary referenced above does state: "THIS INVESTIGATION HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO AN ENGINEERING ANALYSIS TO FURTHER STUDY THE FREQUENCY AND SCOPE OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT:. Hopefully this means there is some progress being made. Maybe they will move things forward quickly so that something can be done before we are either too old to drive and enjoy our RV's or go broke from having to fix this problem...over and over and over.....

Oh well, at least it appears to be a step in the right direction.

One thing that does concern me is whether or not all the complaints are being correctly registered. By this I mean, you can report the problem as being attached to your main vehicle, a Winnebago vehicle or as being a part of a component of the Workhorse chassis which, IMHO, is a component of the Winnebago vehicle. Shouldn't SOME pressure be brought on Winnebago for help with this problem. Afterall, we didn't buy all these components separately but as part of a package from Winnebago. I know a lot of things, microwave, A/C, fridge, tires, batteries, etc are covered by their separate warranties but if one of these items fails and the maker of this component doesn't stand behind it, Winnebago is certainly going to be made aware of the performance of their supplier and I would expect, at the least, they would put pressure on them to make things right. (Off Soapbox Now)
Again I could be wrong but it went from a pe to ea(eng analysis) over a year ago. I dont believe anything has been done by NHTSA in almost a year. As far as winn goes, Imo, they are aware of this situation. But as I said I could be wrong and I hope you are right about NHTSA doing something. Safe travels