Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #1

Brake Recall; be sure to check their work

I just picked up my Suncruiser from All Wheel Alignment in Redding CA and have both good and not so good things to report. Firstly, they are a nice bunch of people. Since I have a 8 hour round trip with my coach, they offer camping to those needing service so I took them up on it. They even supplied 50A and water. I left the coach on a Wednesday, and returned on Sunday for an early pick up on Monday morning. My service writer called me on Thursday afternoon telling me That my brakes are in great shape (>60% pad life left at 30k miles) and that I won't need pads, but he would like to turn the rotors to remove glaze, then scuff up the pads. Since they had the wheels off, I asked them to rotate my front tires, he said no problem and that would be free. I then reminded him that I had aluminum rims, now it is an extra $105. He also said his tech performed a free safety inspection and found worn exhaust doughnut gaskets and a slight coolant leak from the L side engine block drain. I authorized the work for a total of $422, which I thought was very reasonable.

I work for a FD and have been accused by family as being a bit anal, which serves me well in keeping up with the demands of owning an RV. So, I donned my coveralls, and proceeded a check of items performed. First thing I did was to check the wheel lug nuts for tightness and that the center caps were properly fitted. I about had a heart attack when I saw all of the surface scratches on the front wheels accompanied by deep gouges that I will never be able to polish out. My DW thought that I would for sure stroke out. Well at least I know they rotated the tires. I then fired up the coach to move it closer for the electric and water hook up. When I moved the coach forward, I saw my DW waving her arms at me and pointing to a puddle under the coach, I stopped the RV and climbed out to inspect the fluid, yep sure nuff, brake fluid. So I continued to move the coach followed by a trail of brake fluid. After parking I leveled the coach extended the slides and continued my inspection. I found the brake line loose to the R rear caliper, I turned the brake line connector 1 turn with my finter before it bottomed out then snugged it. Dried it off, then started the rig, and checked for pedal feel, all was good. At least I know that they performed the recall as all the calipers were new

The rest of my under chassis search was uneventful, the exhaust gaskets were new and properly torqued, but I couldn't tell about the coolant leak. I then checked my tire pressure. The tires on the front gouged rims were in the ball park for the 19.5" specs. Then I checked the duals, outside were right on as they weren't touched by mere mortal hands doing the recall, but the insides were at 110 psi By now my blood pressure is about 320/160, and my pulse is racing. The DW is glad that I won't see my service writer until the morning as maybe I would calm down.

The next morning I was greeted by a smiling employee who asked me how my night was I thanked him for the place to stay then asked if he would accompany me to my rig. I then showed him the aluminum wheels where he said that is unavoidable, that you have to do it (mounting of tires) by hand and that it is expected to have damage. I say that is a load of dung, I almost told him to buy me a new set of wheels, or at least pay for a commercial repair and polish (I love those rims), but figured I would let it go as they had been so accommodating. Then I showed him the puddle of brake fluid and what I had found. He apologized profusely, and said he would have the tech recheck all of the calipers, I told him fine, but that I had already checked them. The tech rechecked each fitting on each caliper than topped off the brake fluid. I then told the service writer about the inside duals being left at 110 psi. He looked puzzled and said that seemed a bit high. I told him that would have been just about right if they were 22.5s on a diesel pusher.

After paying for the work I hooked up my tow, and proceeded to greener pastures. I am writing this lengthy post so that all don't assume just because your WSC is an authorized facility, doesn't mean they care about quality. With all of the brake recalls being performed, this is especially true. I am truly worried that what if my coach had been owned by a elderly couple who trusted these guys to do the right thing, and left with a major brake fluid leak, and over inflated tires. This is a major safety item. In my business, we take an oath to "cause no harm", I think our service centers should do the same.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
This is a major safety item. In my business, we take an oath to "cause no harm", I think our service centers should do the same.
This is exactly my business motto and approach when I perform any work on any coach....
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 10-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I just picked up my Suncruiser from All Wheel Alignment in Redding CA and have both good and not so good things to report. Firstly, they are a nice bunch of people. Since I have a 8 hour round trip with my coach, they offer camping to those needing service so I took them up on it. They even supplied 50A and water. I left the coach on a Wednesday, and returned on Sunday for an early pick up on Monday morning. My service writer called me on Thursday afternoon telling me That my brakes are in great shape (>60% pad life left at 30k miles) and that I won't need pads, but he would like to turn the rotors to remove glaze, then scuff up the pads. Since they had the wheels off, I asked them to rotate my front tires, he said no problem and that would be free. I then reminded him that I had aluminum rims, now it is an extra $105. He also said his tech performed a free safety inspection and found worn exhaust doughnut gaskets and a slight coolant leak from the L side engine block drain. I authorized the work for a total of $422, which I thought was very reasonable.

I work for a FD and have been accused by family as being a bit anal, which serves me well in keeping up with the demands of owning an RV. So, I donned my coveralls, and proceeded a check of items performed. First thing I did was to check the wheel lug nuts for tightness and that the center caps were properly fitted. I about had a heart attack when I saw all of the surface scratches on the front wheels accompanied by deep gouges that I will never be able to polish out. My DW thought that I would for sure stroke out. Well at least I know they rotated the tires. I then fired up the coach to move it closer for the electric and water hook up. When I moved the coach forward, I saw my DW waving her arms at me and pointing to a puddle under the coach, I stopped the RV and climbed out to inspect the fluid, yep sure nuff, brake fluid. So I continued to move the coach followed by a trail of brake fluid. After parking I leveled the coach extended the slides and continued my inspection. I found the brake line loose to the R rear caliper, I turned the brake line connector 1 turn with my finter before it bottomed out then snugged it. Dried it off, then started the rig, and checked for pedal feel, all was good. At least I know that they performed the recall as all the calipers were new

The rest of my under chassis search was uneventful, the exhaust gaskets were new and properly torqued, but I couldn't tell about the coolant leak. I then checked my tire pressure. The tires on the front gouged rims were in the ball park for the 19.5" specs. Then I checked the duals, outside were right on as they weren't touched by mere mortal hands doing the recall, but the insides were at 110 psi By now my blood pressure is about 320/160, and my pulse is racing. The DW is glad that I won't see my service writer until the morning as maybe I would calm down.

The next morning I was greeted by a smiling employee who asked me how my night was I thanked him for the place to stay then asked if he would accompany me to my rig. I then showed him the aluminum wheels where he said that is unavoidable, that you have to do it (mounting of tires) by hand and that it is expected to have damage. I say that is a load of dung, I almost told him to buy me a new set of wheels, or at least pay for a commercial repair and polish (I love those rims), but figured I would let it go as they had been so accommodating. Then I showed him the puddle of brake fluid and what I had found. He apologized profusely, and said he would have the tech recheck all of the calipers, I told him fine, but that I had already checked them. The tech rechecked each fitting on each caliper than topped off the brake fluid. I then told the service writer about the inside duals being left at 110 psi. He looked puzzled and said that seemed a bit high. I told him that would have been just about right if they were 22.5s on a diesel pusher.

After paying for the work I hooked up my tow, and proceeded to greener pastures. I am writing this lengthy post so that all don't assume just because your WSC is an authorized facility, doesn't mean they care about quality. With all of the brake recalls being performed, this is especially true. I am truly worried that what if my coach had been owned by a elderly couple who trusted these guys to do the right thing, and left with a major brake fluid leak, and over inflated tires. This is a major safety item. In my business, we take an oath to "cause no harm", I think our service centers should do the same.
Hum, wonder why the wh rep here didnt ask you to rate your dealer like he does when something good is reported.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:40 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I just retrieved my rig today from Reeder Chevrolet in Knoxville, Tn after having the brake recall one as well as some other maintenance and the repairing of my Actia display. Thanks FDChief for your report as it served as a reminder for me to inspect the work that the shop did. I will crawl around under the coach later in the day. One thing though, the traffic on I-40 from Knoxville to our home in Monterey was horrible. Trucks, wide loads with pilot cars and idiot four wheelers were out in force and I got to test my new calipers quite a bit. They did good!

Actia repaired the dash display, so now I can see the info again and not totally depend on the Scan Gauge II. So, I'll do a "rate the service center" for Reeder Chevrolet after I do my inspection. The MH has been at the shop for more than three weeks and it's good to see it parked on the pad under the pole barn.

Bob
Old 10-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #5

Thanks Driver for the support, I know you and I are cast from the same mold when it comes to seeing a job through until it is right. The service center that performed my work was highly rated, and I was looking forward to these folks taking good care of my baby. As it is, I often don't do well when it is in someone else's hands. I try to do all of my own service, and now I am reminded why. There are great shops out there with people who care. But they are few and far between.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
FDchief
Can you expand on the tire rotation with the alum wheels? my alum 22s have steel inside rear and I thought you don't rotate them.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
FDchief
Can you expand on the tire rotation with the alum wheels? my alum 22s have steel inside rear and I thought you don't rotate them.
gg-You are absolutely right. You only have four aluminum wheels on your coach, the inside duals are steel. You are also right in that you should only rotate if you see a wear issue, this is true for all large trucks and RVs. At 30k mine looked good but had outside shoulder wear, so I figured what the hey, let's freshen her up while the wheels are off. If I would have known what would have been the result I probably would have waited. In my case, they unmounted the rear duals from the steel wheels, and placed them on the front Alcoas, then moved the fronts to the inside dual position. On top of that, I forgot to mention that they only balanced the fronts, which is customary as the rears aren't usually balanced but on my inspection found loose weights at the bottom of the wheel. They spun the tires, then placed the weights directly over a dirty wheel instead of properly using a wire wheel first for good adhesion.

Once again, I chose not to mention this issue with them. My patience was running low. So far balance seems ok, probably because of the excellent build of the aluminum wheels.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #8

A follow up call

I just wanted to update everyone that tonight I received a call from Rob from All Wheel & Alignment in Redding CA tonight to check on my coach.

It appears that he had an opportunity to read this thread, and he felt obligated to give me a call. First of all I want to say kudos to Rob for making the call. As I expressed to Rob on the phone, I only wish a more proactive approach was taken the day I picked up my coach, and not 4 months later. He agreed, and has taken steps in the shop to see that it doesn't happen again.

He has offered me help in correcting any lingering issues. To this, again I am very appreciative. I told Rob that I was very impressed with the personal service offered by his facility, however, the service was sub-par. If I would have not taken the time to inspect the work performed on my coach, I would have been 100% satisfied with the work. That is of course until I lost brake pedal

Anyway, Rob genuinely wanted my feedback, and took it on the chin. Would I return to his Redding shop? If I had a Workhorse recall I think I would give him and his crew another shot, and I bet the work would be double checked and stellar

All Wheel and Alignment has many positive reviews. That is why I chose to take my coach to Redding, CA. Maybe I was just an isolated case, and I hope so for the future of his business.

It just goes to show that this forum doesn't go unnoticed.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
It just goes to show that this forum doesn't go unnoticed.
Chief, Each day we have between 7,500 to 10,000 unique visitors of which about 1,400 to 1,600 are members.

I would say that your observation is quite accurate.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Rob Pitari is a GOOD guy...Glad to hear he took the time to try to make things right for you.

I am confident that if you go back you will be taken care of right, the first time
Old 02-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
Rob Pitari is a GOOD guy...Glad to hear he took the time to try to make things right for you.

I am confident that if you go back you will be taken care of right, the first time
Thanks for the follow-up and endorsement Jon. It's appreciated.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why is rob a good guy? why didn't rob see it was done right the first time and only after reading the forum he became a good guy? should be put on the list to avoid!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

You are entitled to your own opinion.

As far as I understand, Rob terminated the individuals that were responsible for the screw-up on FDChiefs coach. And the reason he took action after reading the post was because he had no idea of this occurring until after he read it HERE.

BTW...Rob is a good guy, I know him personally. "Stuff" happens sometimes that as an owner you can't always control, unfortunately.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
should be put on the list to avoid!
Ron, I'm sure that you have made mistakes in your life an wouldn't be a shame if you were on a list.

What distinguishes good services centers from the chaff are those willing to acknowledge that a problem existed and that a remedy has been applied to preclude the deficiency from reoccurring. The fact that the principal of the business reached out to the owner in my opinion is a good thing.
Closed Thread